River Yare In Norwich

tonplus

We had a trip into Norwich yesterday, turned around just past the yacht station and wondered has anyone been any further past the hire craft limit? It says shallow water so we didn't chance it. Can't find any info.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, tonplus said:

We had a trip into Norwich yesterday, turned around just past the yacht station and wondered has anyone been any further past the hire craft limit? It says shallow water so we didn't chance it. Can't find any info.

Cheers

Ive been right to the end up there at the mill, quite nice up there as is the pub the name escapes me at the moment

16 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Ive been right to the end up there at the mill, quite nice up there as is the pub the name escapes me at the moment

Ribs of beef I think is the pub in question n yea nice place n moorings outside :default_beerchug: .

You can go further up that the ribs and mischief (fye bridge I think) but not sure how far, the only time I tried the tide was rising and I was short on headroom so wussed and turned back after a couple of beers in the ribs.

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

As far as I know you can navigate up to New Mills. Watch out for shopping trolleys though. The White Lion is quite near New Mills, the Ribs is further downstream. Griff can no doubt confirm. 

You certainly can navigate right up there but like you say there are highly like obstacles in the river , the hardiest bridge is bishops by the red lion the rest are easy enough , iv even moored in the past a 35' boat at the complete angler though BA weren't happy as they weren't getting my then £12 :15_yum:

We went to the end last year (October ish) and was going to stop in the Ribs but there was already a boat there and couldn't be mithered so went to the mill and turned around...was a pleasant trip going into a city. The Red lion (or next to it) do a Pub n Paddle kayak rental and there were plenty out when we were there, not sure the 2 go together though :default_icon_e_biggrin:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You can go further up that the ribs and mischief (fye bridge I think) but not sure how far, the only time I tried the tide was rising and I was short on headroom so wussed and turned back after a couple of beers in the ribs.

Went right upto the mills in a birchwood 22

What's the consequences of a hire boat going beyond the sign? And would anyone know? 

Not that I would , I'm a bit of a boring stickler for the rules these days . Someone could not see the sign, not be able to read or not speak the lingo.

The broads does love a sign though , does it not!!!

5 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

Probably, way too many riverside signs, in my humble opinion. But, like today's proliferation of street furniture, signs and line painting, it's aimed at 'the lowest common denominator' in an attempt to negate the "I didn't know" excuse, or the "I'm going to sue, because I wasn't warned" dimwits...

I was talking with a gentleman manning the yacht station last week, about our new dayboat offerings and that I had hoped to encourage more people to head Norwich way and with our boats being or low air draft and fairly shallow below the water they could explore up to the Ribs, the idea was welcomed.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Wonderwall said:

What's the consequences of a hire boat going beyond the sign? And would anyone know? 

Not that I would , I'm a bit of a boring stickler for the rules these days . Someone could not see the sign, not be able to read or not speak the lingo.

Apart from being a hard one to explain if something went wrong probably nothing unless somebody reported you (which lets face it is quite likely!) 

If your interested in the river beyond the bridge why not hire a kayak and paddle up there, I tried to go up there in our dinghy once but gave up due to all the fishing lines in the water by Cow Tower, it was ridiculous! 

• Like 1

Some years back when we had our Shetland 4 +2 We went throw bishops bridge.Its a lovely part of the river and would love to do so again,Sadly Sweetkingfisher is to high to do so.I would not recommend high craft to go past bishop bridge you may affect your insurance if you do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Apart from being a hard one to explain if something went wrong probably nothing unless somebody reported you (which lets face it is quite likely!) 

If your interested in the river beyond the bridge why not hire a kayak and paddle up there, I tried to go up there in our dinghy once but gave up due to all the fishing lines in the water by Cow Tower, it was ridiculous! 

Thanks

is there kayak hire near the yacht station?

1 hour ago, Wonderwall said:

Doubt it Griff done it apparently  , that said if you hit trouble then they will know n your outside your terms and conditions without prior permission n to me they ie the hire yard need to be looking at the conditions of the river n depth etc  rather than the hire's capability everyone makes mistakes even the most experienced .