River Yare In Norwich

tonplus

It is difficult for a boat larger than 35 foot to turn further up the Wensum, I am not sure if anyone would stop you on a hire boat - I don't want to encourage anyone to break the "rules", but who would stop a hire boat from going up as long as it could get under the bridges? People do worse things in hire boats (and private boats)

We were warned about the dragons and the sea monsters, not to mention the occasional shopping trolley and wheelie bin. You can moor at the Ribs of Beef as long as you don't block the bridge and there are other moorings a few metres further up on the opposite side. Well worth the journey into the heart of the Fine City of Norwich. 

1 hour ago, socrates said:

It is difficult for a boat larger than 35 foot to turn further up the Wensum, I am not sure if anyone would stop you on a hire boat - I don't want to encourage anyone to break the "rules", but who would stop a hire boat from going up as long as it could get under the bridges? People do worse things in hire boats (and private boats)

We were warned about the dragons and the sea monsters, not to mention the occasional shopping trolley and wheelie bin. You can moor at the Ribs of Beef as long as you don't block the bridge and there are other moorings a few metres further up on the opposite side. Well worth the journey into the heart of the Fine City of Norwich. 

That's exactly right the ribs of beef Mooring is directly after the bridge heading away from the yacht station and is in more or less in direct line of the arch that is used for navigation hence rafting up ie more than 2 boats will impede others , that said its easy to get 4 boats on the mooring 2 behind 2 as it were without causing a navigational blockage , otherwise folk night be tempted to go through the other arch which has not a lot of water under it hence the signage .

I've taken 'B.A' up to New Mills pond twice now and she is 40ft.  Draft 2ft 6" with the winddscreen up we need 7ft 7" and had not problems.  The first time not enough water to get into the pond itself and we touched bottom and could not get into the pond proper so turned and meandered our way back to the yacht station.  We didn't stop anywhere.

The second time we went up the Wensum past the yacht station we had more water under us and was able to get right into the pond at New Mills where we turned.  Coming back down river we stopped alongside the 'Ribs of Beef pub' went inside for a couple as one is duty bound to do.  Then moved all three craft rafted up outside the pub for a photo session, which did indeed block the navigation but we weren't rafted up for long and no other craft were moving at the time

With nice weather it's a very enjoyable trip up to New Mills and well worth doing, especially if you can get alongside aforementioned pub. I will do it again at sometime or other.  If you have a look on the 'Broad Ambition underway on the H20' thread there is a write up with photo's of the trip.

I have never been further up the Yare from the junction where it joins the Wensum, it is on our 'To Do' list.  First time I try it though with be in our dinghy with outboard / oars for a bit of a recce

Hope this helps,

Griff

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I've taken 'B.A' up to New Mills pond twice now and she is 40ft.  Draft 2ft 6" with the winddscreen up we need 7ft 7" and had not problems.  The first time not enough water to get into the pond itself and we touched bottom and could not get into the pond proper so turned and meandered our way back to the yacht station.  We didn't stop anywhere.

The second time we went up the Wensum past the yacht station we had more water under us and was able to get right into the pond at New Mills where we turned.  Coming back down river we stopped alongside the 'Ribs of Beef pub' went inside for a couple as one is duty bound to do.  Then moved all three craft rafted up outside the pub for a photo session, which did indeed block the navigation but we weren't rafted up for long and no other craft were moving at the time

With nice weather it's a very enjoyable trip up to New Mills and well worth doing, especially if you can get alongside aforementioned pub. I will do it again at sometime or other.  If you have a look on the 'Broad Ambition underway on the H20' thread there is a write up with photo's of the trip.

I have never been further up the Yare from the junction where it joins the Wensum, it is on our 'To Do' list.  First time I try it though with be in our dinghy with outboard / oars for a bit of a recce

Hope this helps,

Griff

If the stretch of river that I think your talking about that runs from carrow yacht club past Norwich rowing club I wouldn't dream of taking my boat up there , dinghy should be OK but don't bank on being able to use the outboard its  more likely rowing that's better as there's not that much depth n absolutely no way would you turn a 40' boat + the chances are you will foul the prop or worse , best  form of transporton that stretch is by far canoe .

12 hours ago, MBA Marine said:

I was talking with a gentleman manning the yacht station last week, about our new dayboat offerings and that I had hoped to encourage more people to head Norwich way and with our boats being or low air draft and fairly shallow below the water they could explore up to the Ribs, the idea was welcomed.

We already allow Freedom day boats and Pod to go up there. Not too many people make the trip, sadly. It's about a 90 minute return journey from the Freedom boat yard and we provide a detailed map of the river and hazards. 

• Like 2

Now I'm curious!!! Who's sign is it? With what authority was it placed there? In what way is it enforceable?

I can understand the point of the sign on Breydon barring hire craft from heading out to sea, though this does raise the question, How enforceable is that one?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Now I'm curious!!! Who's sign is it? With what authority was it placed there? In what way is it enforceable?

I can understand the point of the sign on Breydon barring hire craft from heading out to sea, though this does raise the question, How enforceable is that one?

I don't suppose it's strictly enforceable per se MM but if you went up there and fouled the prop on a shopping trolley I guess the yard could hold you liable?? 

Not sure whose sign it is but I suspect it is an old P&H sign possibly. 

Doesn't really matter whose sign it is but one things for certain, if you hit something in a hire craft, and you go through without authority from the hire yard, there will be no insurance!!

Whilst its not unattractive in bits it is towards the far end hemmed in by large steel piles and conditions vary greatly as Griff has pointed out, especially in the New Mills basin, depending on how much water is coming through the sluices . I have been up there when its been boiling!! My guess is that the sluice is automatic and you could get caught up there if for some unlikely reason the sluice moved.

By all means let private owners go through Bishops Bridge as they have often done, but not really appropriate to let Richardsons finest through even Bishops Bridge I suspect!

2 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

We already allow Freedom day boats and Pod to go up there. Not too many people make the trip, sadly. It's about a 90 minute return journey from the Freedom boat yard and we provide a detailed map of the river and hazards. 

We were tempted to pop in when we cruised past on Sunday.  Sweet freedom was the first boat we hired. :default_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maysailor said:

I believe these yachts are moored on Trowse Meadow somewhere between Carrow Yacht Club and the Trowse Bridge.One or two were hard aground at low water

wensum.jpg

I know there have been yachts up there but they were all aground at low water , now if your lucky the keel will sink into the mud , if your unlucky then it might just rest on something harder in which case when the tide goes out you may well find yourself in a position where you can't get off n leaning alarmingly .

I know for a fact that there are lots of underwater obstacles in that stretch I'm been up it at high tide in a dinghy with an outboard n hit plenty , to me its canoe territory n not much else but don't let that deter folk from trying , if you get stuck or hole the hull then its your problem I guess ,  I wouldn't take my 2'6" drafted elysian up there even and high tide  , done the trip in the dinghy n unfortunately didn't film it but hey ho whoever please feel free to try it .

Good news though if you do get stuck Morrison's ain't too far away if you can get to the bank .