Advice On A Trip To Great Yarmouth..... Help!

Jmorris

Dear all,

A few months ago I asked for advice on our first boat trip to the broads, I received so many helpful replies from you all.

As my trip approaches ( next week) I thought I would do the responsible thing and read my 'skippers manual.' 

We plan a trip from Potter Heigham to Great Yarmouth on the 16th June. The thing that has confused me is the timetable for the 'low tide' and when I should ideally look to arrive?

Also could anyone recommend a suitable mooring spot in Great Yarmouth? I am mindful that as novices' we should beware of the tide.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Regards,

John

Hi John

The advice about low tide is basically to ensure that you have clearance under the bridges. However if you moor at the yacht station this isn't an issue as its before the bridges. If you moor there around low tide, it runs quite fast, you would be better to go through the bridges, turn and come back against the tide. The only place to moor at GY is the yacht station, the old Marina Quays in not safe.

There are buses or the train. You could catch a bus or train from Acle although the village is quite a walk from the river.

PS agree with others, bus or train good idea - even a cab if your feeling a bit flush although it shouldn't be a fortune.

• Like 1

It is not very easy to get to Yarmouth by train from Potter Heigham - for there is now train station - but there is at Wroxham...

You seem to want to head to Yarmouth itself, not perhaps to go on to the southern rivers after crossing Breydon Water - so, if I am correct in that assumption my advice is leave Potter Heigham and head to Wroxham - depending on your boat choice you may get under Worxham Bridge to some handy moorings, or since you are in a hire boat you might find space in one of the boatyards in Worxham.

It is then a short walk to the train station, and easy to get to Norwich and on to Yarmouth. If you do go by boat though you really should not see such as being a scary of challenging trip. I'll use Thursday as an example - low water will be 1t 10:26am so if you wanted maximum clearance under the bridges, or were heading south over Breydon Water between half ten and half eleven in the morning would be ideal times to pass through Yarmouth - if you were leaving Potter Heigham therefore you should leave at about 7:30am - for it takes about four and a half hours to get from Potter Heigham to Great Yarmouth.

Now let us presume you did this, you would find there would still be some 'ebbing current' that is to say the tide is flowing out slowly and so as NorfolkNog above said, you should turn and come into moor against this current - to be extra safe do such a turn having passed under both bridges and passed the yellow post - then come back through the bridges and moor up.

Don't forget the Yacht Station staff are really helpful and you can give them a call on 01493 842 794 between 8am and 8pm and they will give you a some good advice. 

• Like 3

The staff are always on hand during the day at the YS.Best to arrive at slack water or moor against the tide.I have not been to Yarmouth for a number of years.Gone past it many times prefer Lowerstoft to visit,mooring at Oulton and jump on a train to Lowerstoft. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jmorris said:

Thanks everyone for the above comments. Would anyone recommend Stokesby as a stop off. I was thinking of getting transport from there.

It's possible certainly although you might be better mooring at Stracey Arms and getting a cab as you would then be on the right side of the river for the main road. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

Personally I would rather visit Cromer than Gt Yarmouth any day. In which case, catch the train from Wroxham.

We do that frequently, excellent train service, love Cromer. 

I suppose GY is a bit Marmite, each to their own!!

• Like 1

Just to throw another option I would go for Acle, and in from there. The X1/X11 from the Kings Head which is a fifteen minute walk from the bridge run every half hour or so, non stop and take fifteen minutes. They offer a High5 ticket which allows unlimited travel for up to five people all day, I think it's £10 but check with First. That's quite handy as when you arrive at the Market Gates in Yarmouth you can jump on a Number 2 which takes you to the southern end of the pleasure beach, all on the same ticket. 

• Like 2

the other point to remember is that any transport into Great yarmouth on the 16th will be very busy as it is one of the airshow days, so unless you are going specifically for the airshow, it might be a day to avoid Great Yarmouth.

Hi Jmorris. There are many questions I'd like to ask, mainly...

Would you be wanting to head across Breydon water to the southern waters after visiting Yarmouth or heading back towards the northern waters?

First I shall treat it as that you will be heading back north. …   The journey from Stracey Arms to Yarmouth is in my opinion the most boring part of the Norfolk Broads. It's two hours of nothingness with no safe moorings available. For that reason if for no other I'd go along with those who recommend you use public transport. Alternatively go to Yarmouth before picking up your boat at the beginning of your holiday or go after handing it back at the end.

If you really want to make the trip by boat, then time it so you arrive at Yarmouth on the incoming tide. Ideally, you want to make the return trip on an incoming tide as well. Pushing that tide is very wasteful on fuel.

I strongly recommend you do NOT go through the bridges and turn at the bottom end of Breydon. The water there is turbulent to say the least.

There may be some here who will disagree with me, and I can only emphasise that I am only giving you my OPINION.

Now, if you are heading to Yarmouth with the intention of going onwards to the southern waters afterwards then I would repeat, try to get there on the end of the rising tide, do the "Yarmouth bit" as the tide is going out, then proceed through the bridges and up Breydon on the start of the next rising tide. The Rangers will advise you better than I can on tide times.

Overall, I join those who recommend the use of public transport. It removes all the headaches.

However, if you can make your general intentions known to us perhaps we might be able to better tailor our advice to you.

Whatever you do, have a good time and chill.

56 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Personally I would rather visit Cromer than Gt Yarmouth any day. In which case, catch the train from Wroxham.

Agreed, Yarmouth's heydays are well behind it now. Cromer is a delightful seaside town. 

Stokesby I do like, small but well formed so to speak. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I strongly recommend you do NOT go through the bridges and turn at the bottom end of Breydon. The water there is turbulent to say the least.

There may be some here who will disagree with me, and I can only emphasise that I am only giving you my OPINION.

First one here. Under no circumstances should you ever try to turn in front of the bridges on an outgoing tide. Even an experienced skipper can get into trouble very easily. Once you are beam on to the tide it is very difficult to get the bow around into the stream. Always go through the bridges and turn past the yellow post, or better still go under the lift bridge, have a look at Breydon and then turn back to the Bure. 

If you do decide to take the boat down to Yarmouth the best plan is to go down on the last of the ebb tide, moor at Stracey Arms and wait there until the tide stops. That way, by the time you get to Yarmouth the tide will be running in and you can moor up against the incoming tide with no need to turn. The staff at the Yacht Station will help you tie up and cast off once you are ready to leave. 

I'd still support the Acle option though, and if you've not spent out on the fun fair or Regent Road's tat shops then you can always stop at the Bridge Inn on the way back for a pint or two and a bite to eat. One of the finest pubs on the river. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Paul said:

First one here. Under no circumstances should you ever try to turn in front of the bridges on an outgoing tide. Even an experienced skipper can get into trouble very easily. Once you are beam on to the tide it is very difficult to get the bow around into the stream. Always go through the bridges and turn past the yellow post, or better still go under the lift bridge, have a look at Breydon and then turn back to the Bure. 

If you do decide to take the boat down to Yarmouth the best plan is to go down on the last of the ebb tide, moor at Stracey Arms and wait there until the tide stops. That way, by the time you get to Yarmouth the tide will be running in and you can moor up against the incoming tide with no need to turn. The staff at the Yacht Station will help you tie up and cast off once you are ready to leave. 

I'd still support the Acle option though, and if you've not spent out on the fun fair or Regent Road's tat shops then you can always stop at the Bridge Inn on the way back for a pint or two and a bite to eat. One of the finest pubs on the river. 

If a boat was to arrive at Yarmouth "early" on an ebbing tide and had to wait for the tide to drop before there is clearance for the bridges, there is no option but to turn before the bridges and moor.

52 minutes ago, Philosophical said:

If a boat was to arrive at Yarmouth "early" on an ebbing tide and had to wait for the tide to drop before there is clearance for the bridges, there is no option but to turn before the bridges and moor.

Yes there is, there is a height board before you get to the Yacht Station giving you plenty of chance to go about before reaching the bridges, where the river is wider and the flow not quite so fast. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes there is, there is a height board before you get to the Yacht Station giving you plenty of chance to go about before reaching the bridges, where the river is wider and the flow not quite so fast. 

Of course, if you are stupid enough to ignore it and reach the bridges without sufficient clearance on a fast ebb you do, as you say have no choice but to try and turn before them. I have seen two people try down the years, both ended up with superstructure damage.

7 minutes ago, Paul said:

And then reverse to the Yacht station to moor?