Private Or Hire?

Meantime

34 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I saw a thread here recently where the ranger in Norwich helped two boat loads of drunk people cast off from the yacht station. Moving on a problem rather than dealing with it.

IPA, Taking this point first, how many of the people on that "boatload of drunks" were drunk, and how drunk at that time? did they carry on drinking and get worse?  Did the ranger know that the helmsman was going to carry on drinking? etc. etc.

But to your main point, who here has not at some time at work asked a stupid question? Books have been compiled of such questions ( eg ...Was it you or your brother who was killed in the war?) What was the response by the others on board to the person who asked it?

As another possibility, I remember a few years ago, my father was at the helm (of a hire craft) at Ludham bridge when there was contact  with another boat. Blame was about 50/50 but we pulled over anyway to check both boats for damage. There was none but the other helmsman was up in arms saying he would loose his deposit. He had 'hired' a private boat (tolled as private). His wife cut in the conversation saying they'd borrowed the boat from a friend, but it was obvious that they'd hired it from a private owner.

So when is a boat a private boat?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Once before I was moored at Acle and heard that Breydon was shut due to wind and poor visibility. I rang the rangers at Yarmouth and was given the advice that Breydon was shut to hire boats. It was open to private boats, but their advice was not to cross. We headed down to Yarmouth and moored at Yarmouth until the visibility improved and then we went across. I have no problem with this kind of advice and heeded it.

In view of that, I still can't understand why you were offended by the same sort of advice, given by the S.O.B. at a time when your passage through Yarmouth was potentially dangerous as you were well outside the normal time for passage.

I get the impression from your comments on another thread yesterday that you have something personal against BA staff. In which case why not take it up with the BA?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In view of that, I still can't understand why you were offended by the same sort of advice, given by the S.O.B. at a time when your passage through Yarmouth was potentially dangerous as you were well outside the normal time for passage.

I get the impression from your comments on another thread yesterday that you have something personal against BA staff. In which case why not take it up with the BA?

Why do people insist on putting words into ones mouth? At no point did I say I was offended by the advice given. Your impression is also wrong. The whole crux of this whole thread is the surprise that someone who really should know the difference, in this case didn't.

1 minute ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The whole crux of this whole thread is the surprise that someone who really should know the difference, in this case didn't.

Yes, I understand that, but as I've said above there could be a fist full of reasons why the question was asked.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Why do people insist on putting words into ones mouth? At no point did I say I was offended by the advice given. Your impression is also wrong. The whole crux of this whole thread is the surprise that someone who really should know the difference, in this case didn't.

Is it so important that at first glance the ranger was not sure. This discussion lacks a degree of substance.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wussername said:

Is it so important that at first glance the ranger was not sure. This discussion lacks a degree of substance.

If you reread my post you will see that it wasn't at first glance :default_rolleyes: It was after calling me over, waiting for me to arrive, have a conversation and then as we were departing and in the meantime they had all the tools at their disposal to find out anyway.

ok ok I get it. I'm totally wrong. I shouldn't have had the audacity to start two new discussion topics. I promise I won't do it again, at least for some time.

I hear The Locks Inn is having a little shindig called Lockstock this weekend so I'm off for some decent music, beer and company. Will look in again once I'm back.

4 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

I think this BA Employee bashing needs to stop now

I rarely disagree with you B2P but IF the BA foot soldiers are found to be wanting then the forum is no bad place for it to be discussed.

I wondered if IPA was starting on a crusade but figured he wasn't as he made no comment on the Sticker thread. I do disagree with him on this thread, and the other one So for me, I've said my bit and am now out of it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

If you reread my post you will see that it wasn't at first glance :default_rolleyes: It was after calling me over, waiting for me to arrive, have a conversation and then as we were departing and in the meantime they had all the tools at their disposal to find out anyway.

I think that you should think of it as a "welfare call". This explanation will bring comfort to you.:default_icon_luvlove: 

• Thanks 1

One thing, that I don't think has been mentioned, a lot of the B.A. staff are unpaid volunteers. One week they might be cutting back an overgrown mooring, the next out on patrol with an experience ranger, on a patrol boat. Whatever task they're given to do, generally they are training and often the only way to learn, is by doing the job. Many of the volunteers might not be as conversant with what is privately owned or hired and like me, they might not really care...

I've found you'll soon find out whether a boat is privately owned or not, when you come in to moor 'stern on' beside a boat. the owner will be 'out like a shot', not to help but to fend you off. The average hirer, will just give you a grin and maybe offer to take your ropes... :default_happy:

14 minutes ago, dredger said:

Loynes of wroxham always flew the red ensign even on the day boats (I think), not seen it on any hire fleet these days! Memory fades though.

Your memory is still good ! I have a picture somewhere of myself as a 4 year old in a Loynes dayboat with a red ensign.  Yes, colour film was around then so it’s definitely red !!

26 minutes ago, dredger said:

Loynes of wroxham always flew the red ensign even on the day boats (I think), not seen it on any hire fleet these days! Memory fades though.

The two NYA charter boats fly them - Moneypenny and Cover Girl. 

27 minutes ago, dredger said:

Ernest Collins "Emblem" boats all flew the Red Duster.

On 07/06/2018 at 17:35, Genehunt said:

It’s more whether the skipper knows what they are doing or not!!!

That's a bit harsh, there are one or two private skippers out there who know what they're doing. 

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I know exactly what I'm doing. I have  always known exactly what I'm doing.....   But will someone please explain to me WHY I'm doing it and why it is... and always has been... wrong.

Your boat is still afloat, you can't be doing it all wrong!