Drunks

JennyMorgan

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Water is a fine drink....   taken in the right spirit.

But all that aside, what are members opinions as to what constitutes being "Drunk"?

Annoying to others??

What constitutes a drunk, well,  surprisingly difficult question to answer. Anyway, MY interpretation, and no guarantee that it is right, is that A drunk is someone who has developed a habitual and continuous craving for alchohol. Being drunk, not the same thing at all, certainly being under the influence of drink but at what point does being merry turn into being drunk?  Now for a spot of Googling to see what the experts say!

drunk
drʌŋk/
verb
  1. 1.
    past participle of drink.
adjective

1. 1.
    affected by alcohol to the extent of losing control of one's faculties or behaviour.
    "he was so drunk he lurched from wall to wall"

Well, Google, I'd say that you are right, thank you. Much easier than I thought! John, you could have looked that one up!

I guess the more pertinent question here would be what constitutes being under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel?

I think we have all seen sober people that appear to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel!

And that then poses the question, what is taking proper control of the vessel?

Having more than 35 micrograms of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of breath is very specific and with the right equipment enforceable, not so sure how you legally quantify being incapable of taking proper control of the vessel?

16 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I guess the more pertinent question here would be what constitutes being under the influence of drink to such an extent as to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel?

I think we have all seen sober people that appear to be incapable of taking proper control of the vessel!

Having more than 35 micrograms of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of breath is very specific and with the right equipment enforceable, not so sure how you legally quantify being incapable of taking proper control of the vessel?

I guess that all depends on the ability to properly control a vessel before any alcohol has been consumed. 

1 minute ago, Philosophical said:

I guess that all depends on the ability to properly control a vessel before any alcohol has been consumed. 

Which to a large extent is why I also said the following,

52 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Whilst that's a fair point, it doesn't cover people on moored vessels or by them. We read comments like "Our entire evening was ruined by a load of drunken yobs on the boat moored nearby.

2 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Annoying to others??

I don't have to be drunk to do that, but I take your point.

57 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Having more than 35 micrograms of alcohol for every 100 millilitres of breath is very specific

Even the police don't call that "drunk"

One can be "drunk" without being annoying just as one can be annoying without being drunk... but my question remains.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

But all that aside, what are members opinions as to what constitutes being "Drunk"?

in my opinion, that would mean you had been placed in a glass or bottle and were in the process of being imbibed. - a bit like Jonah was by the whale

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Which to a large extent is why I also said the following,

Reminds of a statistic which went something like 25% of all accidents are caused by the effects of consuming alcohol. 

Therefore 75% are caused by people who are sober.................................maybe we should all get drunk.

3 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Whilst that's a fair point, it doesn't cover people on moored vessels or by them. We read comments like "Our entire evening was ruined by a load of drunken yobs on the boat moored nearby.

I don't have to be drunk to do that, but I take your point.

Even the police don't call that "drunk"

One can be "drunk" without being annoying just as one can be annoying without being drunk... but my question remains.

You can ruin someone's day by being drunk and annoying without a boat.

But a police officer cannot certify anyone as being "Drunk"

The only person capable of calling anyone Drunk is a doctor.

Police have to use the term under the influence of alcohol.

And as peoples toleration of alcohol is different some people can be three times the drink drive limit and be falling down, another person may be completely compus mentus and capable of walking a straight line.

Even as a Landlord I was not allowed to say to anyone they were drunk. "You  may have had a little too much to drink" is all that is allowed.

Well this is fun isn't it. The barrage of criticism levelled at people who hire boats to people who are drunk, massive objections aimed at authorities who fail to act on drunks, yet when I ask for opinions, yes opinions, not facts or dictionary definitions as to the literal meaning... Answer came there none! (from most quarters).

Perhaps this might be born in mind next time a stag party cruises past.   

• Like 1

My opinion of what constitutes drunk, is someone who is intoxicated by alcohol to the extent that it changes their normal behaviour for the worse, or makes it impossible for them to behave rationally. Being drunk can also affect a persons co-ordination and movement.

Maybe it's hard to define drunk because there seems to be stages of drunkeness? You may start by slurring the odd word and by the end of the night be tied to a lampost with a daffodil stuck in your butt

Maybe losing good judgement due to alcohol would be a good definition, it covers everything from becoming a bit loud to throwing up in public.

Of course there are people who can be very annoying without ever touching a drop... they're not drunk, just aholes :12_slight_smile:

The last time I cruised from Horning to wroxham on a Saturday, I was amazed at the amount of day boats on the river. 

Most were crewed with late teens to 25 year olds. Yes , they appeared to have had a few, yes they were zig zagging, jumping from boat to boat, diving in to the river , going a bit fast, being a bit loud. But I tell you what, they all looked like they were having fun, and as far as I'm aware , no boat or person came to any harm. 

Young people tend to bend the rules, not quite aware of the effects their actions have on others. I certainly wasn't an angel in my youth, neither was my  father , and I dare say my grandfather wasn't either . How many here can hand on heart say they never  pushed the boundaries when they were young?  Not many I would imagine . 

Drink driving on the roads, and having a few while cruising around 6 mph on the river ???? It's not really comparable , surely.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

You can legally be annoying but it is illegal if you are drunk and in charge of a vessel or vehicle.

I think it is an offence to be drunk in charge of just yourself in public.