Moorings

Aboattime

We were out cruising at the weekend and saw a boat moored in one of the smaller broads, mud weighting bow and stern about a metre from the trees and reeds.This got me wondering as to how long you could moor there,before the BA would ask you to move on? Same question as on one of the rivers, so to be clear,none of his ropes are touching any tree or river bank. I know that some of the broads are owned and you can be asked to move after 24 hours,but im reluctant to say which broad as i think it might be a liveaboard,,and its at a very secluded spot and i cant see that hes doing any harm .   :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

There is to my mind no spercific limit , it might be some one who loves afloat it might not but I fail to see why that should be an issue , iv personally mud weighed on surlingham broad for days without any problem n I live afloat , what I did vet was BA checking to see I was OK n nothing else , as stated some Broads are privately owned n the same doesn't apply but most I don't see a problem iv seen boats out of marinas on surlingham for 3 days In summer bank holidays .

37 minutes ago, Aboattime said:

We were out cruising at the weekend and saw a boat moored in one of the smaller broads, mud weighting bow and stern about a metre from the trees and reeds.This got me wondering as to how long you could moor there,before the BA would ask you to move on? Same question as on one of the rivers, so to be clear,none of his ropes are touching any tree or river bank. I know that some of the broads are owned and you can be asked to move after 24 hours,but im reluctant to say which broad as i think it might be a liveaboard,,and its at a very secluded spot and i cant see that hes doing any harm .   :594c04f0e761f_default_AnimatedGifVehiclessaily:

I'm not sure there is a 24hr limit on Broads. If it is privately owned then it is up to the land owner on what terms apply. I believe there is an overnight mooring fee applied at Wroxham Broad, but not at Salhouse Broad, both of which are privately owned. Then again South Walsham inner Broad your not meant to mud weight at all for any period but may navigate over it.

With regards to the rivers then this is covered by the byelaws which govern where you can moor and more specifically state that you should not obstruct the navigation or moor in a channel. The byelaws also cover that you should not moor in such a way as to impede the use of a right of way on the banks. So mooring next to, but not touching or actually moored to a BA 24hr mooring would be impeding the right of way for others to moor legally.