Something Has Gone Missing!

Meantime

4 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

Since the 1970's a few 'things' have gone missing, on the River Bure between Stracey Arms and Wroxham bridge. Jack Powles, Ernest Collins, Smiths, Porter & Haylett, Southgates Main yard, Wilds, Ferry Boatyard and Chumley & Hawke, to name just a few of the old yards that are gone and sadly missed...

Mostly replaced by quick build, ordinary looking holiday homes or private moorings, a great pity really.

Very true, but the item I'm thinking off has gone missing this year!

58 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Peace and tranquility is never missing from the north Broads, even in the summer there's no shortage of peaceful places, so not missing at all.

Absolutely... It's always there, if you know where to find it and have the kind of boat (or legs) to get you there... :default_icon_e_biggrin:

3 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I was thinking of Reg Morgan's Mississippi river boat, but I don't think that goes under Acle bridge. Is it in for a re-fit?

Not the thing I was thinking off, I believe it is still out and about doing trips at the moment. Lets move the bar slightly lower, below Horning waterworks and Stracey Arms.

15 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Mardi Gras wasn’t there when we passed a couple of times recently. That’s the sedan that has been moored on the bank just below Acle for many years. Any good?

Absolutely correct. Always seemed such a shame. Been moored in the same spot for many many years. Never seen it used or moved. Over the years it has gradually shown signs of wear and neglect. Torn and eventually missing covers. Such a nice and really smart looking boat when I first saw it at least 14 years ago.

The mooring spot has also stood out because the boat was moored on its own along a very rough piece of steel piled mooring with no proper quay heading. Probably one of the last places I would have moored the boat if it had been mine. Almost like the farmer who owned that stretch was a friend and let them moor there for nothing.

We have often passed the boat and wondered how it came to be there and why it never seemed to have any life on board, or ever get used.

Been there so long it seemed to have become part of the Broads furniture if you know what I mean. Passed a couple of times recently and was surprised, no shocked to see it had gone.

• Like 3

This is it. It says Mardi Gras "Horning"

It never seemed to move or be cleaned or used. Such a shame. I wonder what the story is/was behind it. I assume it must have been tolled?

I dream of owning my own boat and its such a shame to see them un-loved and un-used.

Mardi Gras.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1