Old Windows Version Partition.

Paul

Hi all, help needed from tech experts please.

I need to access a file created by old software which will not run on Win 10. The issue is the software, whilst it can be loaded will not run as it needs to be authenticated by checking for the presence of the original disk using a process not included in Win 10 by Microsoft. Did that sound good? I hope you understand what it means because I haven't got a scooby doo!

Not a problem, I thought. I have an old retail version (not OEM) of Win XP. Genuine install media and COA, which I bought for a machine I scratch built in 2002. I will install it on a partition of my laptop giving me a dual boot option. I have two HDDs. A 250gb SSD which holds the OS and those programs I use most often and a 1tb HDD which houses all the media plus programs I use less often. I have partitioned that drive to create a new 150gb partition and labelled it X drive but when I try to boot from the Win XP install disk it keeps failing. It goes through the do you need to install 3rd party RAID / SCSI drivers etc but then a few seconds later hits a blue screen, you know the one "windows has shut down to protect your computer" ......

Is there a good reason why I can't put XP on a modern laptop, why I can't install it alongside 10 etc etc. Is there another way of doing it that would work? A virtual machine or anything of that nature. It's quite crucial that I access the file in question. 

Looking at the problem another way, what is the software and what activation method does it use? Disc-based sounds like a packer, probably either SafeDisc or SecuROM.

Might there be an activation crack available which gets round the problem?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I wouldn't install xp as your leaving your laptop open to hackers as the security isn't upto date.

I think it is being used specifically for this purpose, and then moved away from once the problem is solved?

I wouldn't install xp as your leaving your laptop open to hackers as the security isn't upto date.

I think it is being used specifically for this purpose, and then moved away from once the problem is solved?

https://www.howtogeek.com/230773/how-to-play-pc-games-that-require-safedisc-or-securom-drm-on-windows-10-8.1-8-7-and-vista/

This talks about re starting a service that has been turned off on last win update which is also Safedisc.

Last month my pc, laptop and server stopped talking to each other due to this. I understand yours is older.

I think I saw that page whilst I was trawling the web. I must admit I don't really understand much of what I've read. From what I do understand, if I had 7 or 8 I could reactivate this process which has been switched off by updates, but not in 10 as it is not there from the start. The software in question was bespoke, and both the company who wrote it and the one which commissioned it are now defunct, so finding any kind of patch or later version is a non starter. 

• Like 1

I have to admit to being a bit lost when it comes to virtual machines and such like, but I have taken the plunge and found instructions from a website I trust and the process is underway. I have downloaded virtual box and installed it, and have winxp installing it on a new VM. It seems to be going well.

The plan was, as Oldgregg suggested to do it, get the file I need (which I can then export to .pdf) then delete everything, including the partition. If this works OK however I might keep it. I'm thinking of all those old Windows 98 era games I have tucked away somewhere that I might like to revisit. 

I've still got my 1st 98 pc when it came out but I've had to clear the loft at my mothers this week which was a joy in this heat.

All my old computers vic20, 64 _ Amiga's all expanded to the hilt.

Can't remember getting the rubber face spectrum someone will have give me it.

But I was passing it all down and there was even a early modem where you pushed the phones handset into rubber cups. various other stuff given from my dads mate collected at BT.

The task now is to clean it up and STORE it and not be tempted to test them as I don't have time right now.

So I installed Windows XP Pro x64 and it runs OK, but when I load programs to it they will not open, all I get is "load the correct CD rom and try again". It's as if the programs cannot see the optical drive. I have made sure that the optical drive under devices in virtual box is set to Host :D. I can go to my computer, open the D drive and try and run the program from the disc menu but still get the same. 

Very frustrating.

So I installed Windows XP Pro x64 and it runs OK, but when I load programs to it they will not open, all I get is "load the correct CD rom and try again". It's as if the programs cannot see the optical drive. I have made sure that the optical drive under devices in virtual box is set to Host :D. I can go to my computer, open the D drive and try and run the program from the disc menu but still get the same. 
Very frustrating.

So the VM can see the contents of the disc, but SafeDisc won't authenticate the disc?

Correct.

I've installed Windows XP Professional x64, with no updates as the VM is not connected to the web but although I can access the disc, and have been able to load the software OK it still won't run, though this time I get the "enter the correct CD-rom in the drive", rather than in Windows 10 where it just does nothing. 

I'm starting to think Paul's car boot option is the front runner!

Okay. As you may remember, the 64-bit version of WinXP is based on Windows 2003 Server, and not the regular WinXP.

64-bit Windows was pretty rare then so this means a lot of software doesn't run on it. You'll need to use the regular 32-bit version of WinXP for stuff like that to work.

You may want to just install WinXP on a separate partition, although a VM ought to work.

On 15/06/2018 at 17:25, Paul said:

Is there a good reason why I can't put XP on a modern laptop, why I can't install it alongside 10 etc

Paul just thought your system is on win 10, so when we go the free upgrades from win 7 etc some kit had to swap a bios setting from win7-8 to win 10. Check in bios on boot to see if you can see this.

I've got a giga-brix little sq pc that was stuck in this circle that I couldn't catch the bios mid upgrade to swap it to win 10.