Travelling Up, And Then More.

SPEEDTRIPLE

The alarm went off at 04.30, up at 05.00, and away by 06.10. Stopped off for the loo at South Mimms services, disgusting, but necessary. A great trip up, and now in The Hogue Farm Shop just after the the A11 / 14 split enjoying a coffee. It's been raining slightly, but who cares, our spirits are up, we're on holiday and will soon be afloat.

More to come later.

• Like 8

32 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

The alarm went off at 04.30, up at 05.00, and away by 06.10. Stopped off for the loo at South Mimms services, disgusting, but necessary. A great trip up, and now in The Hogue Farm Shop just after the the A11 / 14 split enjoying a coffee. It's been raining slightly, but who cares, our spirits are up, we're on holiday and will soon be afloat.

More to come later.

It rained a little last night in Brundall,  almost all dried up  now and hopefully showing signs of being a good day. 

Sorry all; I'm obviously the Murray Walker of weather comments; one word from me saying it is has stopped raining and is looking promising .................and it starts to rain.

No more weather comments from me.

Bought some special ketchup from the hogue farm shop, then back on the road. Not far to go now as we broke the back of the journey. Next stop sainsbury's at Thetford for some flowers for Mary Jane, and some allergy tablets for me, which we duly got. Next stop the St Georges Distillery for some English Whiskey for Karen, then round to see John and Mary Jane. We haven't seen each other for nearly 2 years, and it was a pleasure to see them again. We left the Hockam Eagle just after 2, and arrived at Brundall between half two to three, and loaded up Lightning. We were'nt hungry so had a bag of chips between us and a pancake roll. We waiting for the rest of the crew who we expect to arrive about 8.30 pm, but they arrive early. The weather is now very warm, with no rain, so we settle in for the evening. None of us will be late for bed tonight, it's been a long day with a long drive, It's going to be another busy day tomorrow with BSB at Snetterton, which is only half an hour away. Last year, we did the same, and when we got back to Lightning, we had a stunning evening cruise down to Reedham, so let's hope for the same tomorrow. But now it's time for bed, good night all.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Sorry all; I'm obviously the Murray Walker of weather comments; one word from me saying it is has stopped raining and is looking promising .................and it starts to rain.

No more weather comments from me.

Well, unless I'm very much mistaken the rain has stopped here!

On 16 June 2018 at 22:03, Broads01 said:

Have a great week, Neil. My route to the Broads takes me along the A14 and then A11 but I don't know the Hogue Farm shop. Where exactly is it?

Hi Simon,

The Hogue farm shop is about a mile or so past where the A11 / A14 split, and on the left. It's a lovely place, great for a stop off for refreshments, and for the loos, but the shop has some really nice food, BUT, it IS expensive. Karen loves their Tomato ketchup and now won't buy anything else, and at £3.80 a large bottle ......... She bought 3.

• Thanks 1

Sunday morning, and I'm awake early so I'm up and make the tea. We're all up and about fairly soon after, and we decide skip breakfast and make an early start for Snetterton. The BsB was as good as ever, but the weather was not as good as last year with just a few spits of rain, but no "actual" rain, so we consider ourselves lucky. We leave early to avoid the jams getting out, but the crowds are already on their way, but it still was'nt bad. We arrive back at Brundall not long after 6, but are feeling a bit jaded, so we opted for dinner in the Yare, which was as good as usual. After dinner, we have a stroll down the lane past all the ex hire yards on the left, and the riverside bungallows on the right, many of which are for rent, and look at possibly making a future 2 week holiday plan, the first on Lightning, then the second in one of the many lovely riverside properties in Brundall, let's wait and see what happens. We're back on Lightning about 9, and all feeling the effects of the day, and after a chat for sn hour or so, we all in bed. Iy was a great, but tiring day, and one we will no doubt do again if we get Lightning for the same week as BSB, but's for the future, and right now, it's bed time, Good night all.

• Like 2

It's just after 8 am, and we haveing tea in bed, brought in by crew member Maria (Brother Trevs partner). Yesterday, we decided that seeing as we won't be leaving Brundall till this morning, we decided to stay on the south rivers, so if there's anybody afloat, please say hello if you see us.

Nice to see you Paul, but I do hope to see you later in the week, we will be in Loddon pn Thursday afternoon, then leaving Friday morning back to Brundall, so hopefully, we'll see you then?.

It's Monday morning, and we're all up and showered etc and ready for the off. We leave Brooms and are heading south, but don't have a plan. As we near the mouth of the Chet, we decide to head for Loddon. We've been going with the tide, so have kept the revs down to about 4 mph, and it's been a peaceful cruise, with not many boats about at all. The cruise up the Chet was slightly challenging, with some gusting winds. I'm anticipating Loddon NOT to ne busy, due to the time of year ........ Just goes to prove I know nothing. We get to the basin and there's one space left, lucky us. We're all secured, and get free electric thanks to other people leaving credit on the leccy post. Over to see Caroline at Rosie Lees for tea and cake, and as usual, Caroline was her usual bubly self. Back on board, and we decide to go to the White Horse for dinner, but indulge in a bit of fishing. After a great meal in the pub, we retire to zlightning, and soon to bed after watching Auf Vedersein Pet. It's been yet anothe great day, wish some beautiful afternoon sunshine, and we're all feeling tired, Good night all.

• Like 2

For the first time ever, we couldn't have breakfast at Rosie Lee's, as they now close on Tuesdays, DAMN. So we had breakfast aboard, but had already made arrangements to return to Loddon on Thursday, and reserve a table for 4 for Friday morning. But we still enjoyed our tea and cake the afternoon before. That said, Caroline, bless her, said she would be happy to open up, do a lock in for the four of us, and have her breakfast at the same time. We declined her generous offer, as we didn't want to interfere with her much needed day off. I don't think you would ever get service like that anywhere else.

Some excellent fishing advice I was given by a long time freind and colleague at work was, fill your swim with ground bait the night before, then reap the rewards in the morning. Sound advice, as it worked, sadly, for someone else. We started on our way for Beccles, but wanted to take Lightning to Geldeston lock, so after a really pleasant cruise, we saw we could get under the bridge, so had a very peaceful cruise to the lock, then back to Beccles. We saw the Lido moorings, but mis read the charges, and passed them by, only to find out we couldn't get under the bridge. We have a folding flag staff on Lightnings pulpit, which duly went down, but as we neared the cabin top to the bridge, we realised she would have got through, BUT, because our tv Ariel is mounted on a 4" high pivot which was barely an inch too tall, we had to reverse back and make back for the Lido moorings. I wouldn't have done that bridge attempt with tide, but it was still on the flood, so we had the double advantage of reverse gear, and a natural tidal brake. When arrived at the lido moorings, we realised we mis read the pricing, and were pleasantly surprised at how peaceful the mooring is, so I'd recommend it to anybody, air draught permitting of course. We sat down and did some fishing, and fought a few toddlers, either that, or caught the same toddler several times. Tiddlers I meant. I promised all I would cook dinner for tonight, so it was time for Spagbol. After dinner, we watched a bit of the World cup, and chilled out. It was 9.30 pm, and we're all tired so opt for an early night ........ Good night all.

• Like 3

Hi Neil, 

I understand that you are over-nighting at the Waveney River centre according to Jim our owner on Ranworth Breeze, thank to for helping him in.

Now don't wear out that sunshine I could do with it during our allocation next month.

Please keep the blog going.

Regards 

Alan

Hi Alan,

yes, exactly so. Jim's a really nice fella, and I know he appreciates all the hard work you put in to run the Ranworth Breeze Syndicate. I was telling him about our chairman Simon (whom I think you know?), and how Lightning has improved due to his hard work, so you, and our chairman Simon, should feel very proud. Without your(and our Simons) hard work, OUR, and I'm sure YOUR syndicate members wouldn't be enjoying such lovely boats?.

• Thanks 1

We wake early, haveing all slept like logs. I was enjoying a lye i, but had to get up to turn the heating off. God knows why it started, none of us switched it on. We really enjoyed our evening at the Beccles lido moorings, so peacefull, and with amazing sunsets, which we were lucky to witness, and the beautiful cloudless morning wad equally as good. We went into the village centre for some needed medication, and for breakfast. We filled with water and got underway, but had no issue with the bridge at this state of the tide. We have plenty of time, as our intended destination is WRC, which is a short cruise, so keep to about 4 mph all the way along the waveney, and decide to take a turn around Oulton Broad to ware away the time. By now the wind is gusting, and we really feel it in Oulto Dyke and Broad, but eventually make our way bake to WRC. Good job too, as we hadn't been there long, and a number of boats also arrived, one of them being Ranworth Breeze, with owner Jim on the helm, and struggling with such a high topped boat in strong winds. We help him to moor, and get to know our neihhbour, what a really decent guy. We're eating in the restaurant tonight, especially after Jims recommendation, but for now, i'l leave you and get changed for dinner.

• Like 4

well, dinner was nice, and for what we had, it was very reasonably priced too, Thanks Jim.

We had a nice meal in The Waveney at WRC, and got back to Lightning to watch the World Cup. Karen and I went up for a shower in their block, free to moorers, which was very refreshing, but walking back to the boat, we felt the odd spit of rain. We've had a real mixed bag of weather today. First thing this morning we had crystal clear skies, then when under way, it clouded up, with freshening winds. As we neared Oulton dyke for our run down to the broad and back, the winds really picked up, as did the revs to overcome them. Along with the winds came some big and threatening dark clouds, but to our surprise, they never opened up on us, and all we've had is a few spits with the ground around WRC not even showing a drop, and even that was when we were all tucked up for the night. Over all though, it's been a great day, and we again have big clear Norfolk skies, with a lovely bright moon. What a wonderful way to end the day?. Good night all.

• Like 4

Thursday Morning, and we`re up early to have a shower and get underway. We want to get to Loddon early as when we went on Monday, we got the last mooring available, and boats still came in and had to turn round and leave.   The weather has turned, and although we don`t have rain all day, there`s a mixed bag of heavy cloud, and patches of blue sky, and we get that all the way to Loddon.  The trip up is pretty uneventful, with nothing to report, and very little river traffic all the way. As we turn up the Yare from the New Cut, we slow right down, as now we`re punching quite a hard tide, so up go the revs. We approach the mouth of the Chet, only to our freinds on "Tradition" entering the Chet ahead. As we enter, we notice the quay heading is broken and sticking out into the channel, but does`nt cause any issues, it does when we leave tomorrow though, but more about that later.  We follow Tradition, and hope they don`t take the last spot ahead of us, us it`s a bit of a walk from Pye`s Mill moorings for someone with a knackered ankle (me), and someone with a knackered knee (Karen),  but as we near the basin, it`s clear Tradition and us are the only ones in there, closely followed by another  boat. So we pick our mooring and get settled in.  We needed a couple of bits of shopping, so headed to the high street and went in to Rosie Lee`s to reserve our table for breakfast in the morning.  When we return, we see a lot of other boats have arrived, and watch and help a couple of guys moor Gold Gem next to us. It`s clear these guys are fishermen, and soon get down to some fishing. I ask what their using as bait, and how deep they`re fishing, and then follow suit. I can`t be there too long, as about half six, we`re due in the the Raj for a curry. I`ve been fishing a while, with my float dipping under bites, but nothing really takes the bate, so i decided to change tactics and don`t strike at every dip of the float, then it disappears, and i strike. I got one on, but it does`nt feel big at all, just my usual small roach or perch. Little did i know, i`d hooked into a  very large silver bream, about 7lbs in weight. I took a few minutes to fight it, having to let it run, then wind it in, then let it run again when it gets closer to the net, which was very kindly loaned to us by our new neighbours.  Eventually, i wore it down, and my brother got it into the net, and i`d finally caught the biggest fish i`ve ever caught, it was a biggie, and at a size i never thought you`d get in the tight confines of the Loddon basin. We released my prize catch back  into the water after taking photo`s for evidence, and i`m a happy man.   We set off for the Raj and have another excellent meal,  and on our return, i see the couple on one of Freedoms boats are sitting on the bank, so i ask if they`re ok, and find out Andy Banner from Freedom is aboard trying fix a newly fitted fuel pump that developed a leak. Even new parts can be faulty, and Andy was buried up to his shoulders in an engu=ine bay trying to fix a new part. I took the opportunity to hop aboard, with the hirers permission, and say hello. What a great guy, straight talking and hard working, he`s already been busy for many hours in and now he`s here at 8.30 at night trying to fix things. It`s never easy in the fleet industry. I say bye bye and return to Lightning and do a bit more fishing, though without luck this time.  We sat doown and watched some football, and started to feel tired, and as early as 9.30 pm, we decided to go to bed. It`s been a long and tiring, but exciting day,  and a day i`l remember for catching MY record fish, it`s taken years to do it, but thanks to the advice of a good freind and the guys on Gold Gem, i finally did it.   Good night all.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

You rotter it's tomorrow and I simply need to know about the sticking out bits at the entrance...  

Funnily enough - that is the part i am waiting for as well..... :default_biggrin:

Friday morning is yet again blue skies. We`re awake and up early, as we have booked a table at Rosie Lee`s for breakfast at 9.  We`ll be taking Lightning back to Brundall today as we have a show around for a new member of the syndicate in the morning, AND , as we stayed south, we did`nt get up to Ramblers gift shop at the head of Thurne dyke.  We`ve got to know the owner Liz as a freind, and we did say we were coming to see her, and we don`t want to let her down, especially as she has a surprise for us, which at the moment,we don`t know about, it`s a surprise after all. We have a great breakfast as usual at Caroline`s, buy a couple of things from the shops, and we`re ready to get underway.  We noticed when returning from breakfast that all bar us and Silver Myth have gone, and they leave just before us, and as we cruise away, i looked back and Loddon Staithe was empty, as was Pye`s Mill moorings, something i don`t think i`ve ever seen before.

The cruise down the Chet was lovely and peaceful, if a bit chilly when the wind came up. However, as we neared the mouth of the Chet, we noticed again the damaged piling on the North bank, and see another boat coming towards us. We`re about a foot from the southern bank, and thought the other boat would slow down coming towards the sticking out piling, but no, he obviously did`nt see the obstruction till the last second, and headed mid stream, where there was insufficient room for the two of us, and caught us a glancing blow on the stbd qtr.  The guy on the helm tried to claim we were mid stream, but when a larger Broom hire boat that was following him went past us, he was around 5 - 6 ft away, so we were proved innocent. I immediately reported the incident to our chairman, and that on inspection there was no damage. And YES, it WAS  a private boat. 

When we turned up the Yare, we slowed considerably, so up went the revs. It was a very pleasant cruise up the Yare, though a bit chilly in the north winds, and after a couple of hours, we  reach Brundall, and take a run through Surlingham broad and back down river to our mooring at Brooms. We arrive to an empty fuel / pumpout quay, so take the opportunity to refuel, but will have to pumpout on saturday as the pumpout unit has a blockage, and the team were sorting it. I was quite happy, as it meant we could use the boats loos at night, rather than walk up to the berth holders toilets etc.  So we drop back to our mooring, which is all of 30ft down river.  We start to tidy up and get packed while the kettle was on for a cup of tea and a cake on the picnic bench beside our mooring. By now it was warming up, and the wind was dropping. We drive up to see Liz at Ramblers in Thurne, but she was`nt there, so we headed to Lathams, and came back a bit later en route back to Lightning, and she was back. We always call in to see Liz, she usually has something to do with Penguins, as Karen loves them, and we find out to our surprise, she bought her back a small furry penguin key ring, which i thought was really kind. Back to Lightning, and we`re packing and tidying, and have a break for dinner in the Yare. We love the Yare, nothing pretentious, just good honest pub food at reasonable prices.  After dinner, it was back to Lightning for more tidying and packing, we do most of it, so have very little to do in the morning, which gives us more time to thouroughly clean our lovely boat, as we really want prospective buyers to see her at her best. 

It`s been a great day, and always sad when we have to start packing to come home, the ironic thing being that the owners that were due to use Lightning over the next two weeks were`nt able to do so, so the next two weeks were going spare, but Karen and i both still being fully employed, and with very little holiday left, were NOT in a position to take advantage of the situation, otherwise we would still be up their now.

It`s been a great week, and the weather did`nt really cause any problems, but for now, it`s getting late, and we have to be up early, so it`s time for bed.  Good Night All.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Saturday morning is bright and sunny, and an early start. We could`nt get pumped out yesterday, so we have to pick our time to slot in. We`re all showered and dressed, and finish off the last bit of packing. Now it`s time to get things ***** and span, as we start getting Lightning cleaned and ready, not just for the expected show round, but also for the next owner, who has taken advantage of the last minute availability. We keep an eye out for a pumpout slot, and another boat sneeks in, DAMN.   As the we wait for said boat to pull away, our neighbour gives us the nod, so i get Lightning ready, and lo and behold, i spy another Brooms hire boat making its way up river, so we quickly got untied, and spun round, YES, we did it. With pumpout completed, we drop back to our mooring, and finish getting Lightning ready, but our guests arrive a bit early. We introduce ourselves, and i said to give us a few minutes or so to get the rest of our gear off.  As i`m packing the last few things in the car, my Brother Trevor and Maria say cheerio and head off home, so i invite our guests aboard and give them the tour, ask some questions, and answer theirs. They are very experienced Broads boaters, with many many years on hireboats, and were very pleasant people, so hopefully, they will be new members of the syndicate, and we will meet again at our AGM in October.  With the show round done, we finish the last bit of cleaning, do the handover report, lock up, and we`re away. We have to stop at Brundall hardware store first, then fill up with deisel for the journey home. By the time we leave, it`s about 12.30, and we have around 240 miles to drive, but it`s all motorway or dual carraigeway A roads, so hopefully, we can have a clear run home.  The journey from home to Norfolk always seems to be really enjoyable, and fairly quick, we left around 06,15, and would have been in Brundall in three and a half hours, but the journey home seems to take forever, but this time, we arrived home at 16,40, which when you consider we stopped at the Hogue farm shop and cafe again for lunch, and were stopped for around three quarters of an hour,  our journey home was possibly less than three and a half hours, but it still seemed to take longer. Maybe it`s the disappointment of leaving the Broads again, but at least we have a lovely home to come back to, in a peaceful Dorset village, just a shame there are no navigable rivers and Broads.  The down side of coming home is all the washing we have to do, anybody want to volunteer? ........................ Cheerio all, until next time.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1