Travelling Up, And Then More.

SPEEDTRIPLE

6 minutes ago, SwanR said:

I very much enjoyed reading your write up and seeing your photos. Lovely sunset reflections at Beccles. 

Thanks Swan,

We had to moor at the Lido, as we could`nt get back under the bridge, as the the tv ariel mount stands about 4"-5" above the cabin top. The mount was an inch too tall, but without it, we could have gone back under with around 3"+ to spare. Having said that, if we did get back under, we WOULD`NT have realised how much more peaceful and convenient for Beccles the Lido moorings are.  The only down side compared to the Yacht station is the lack of 240v  hook up, but we`ve had many hirecraft that have`nt had it in the past, so no worries.

• Like 2

A few  from the short run from Beccles to WRC via Oulton Broad.  It started out a crystal clear blue sky, and by the end of the evening, we had spits of rain, though not enough to say "it rained". One of these shows how the rangers do more than cruise around. He was raking and tidying the staithe at North Cove.  Or at least i think it was North Cove?.2018_06160033.thumb.JPG.db46cd84283714ce0d994b61348be8c0.JPG2018_06160034.thumb.JPG.6a71355202660e9689e6e55234cf21c2.JPG2018_06160038.thumb.JPG.9ae036f5b5f251f8f782a9419a159b91.JPG2018_06160039.thumb.JPG.25541ba1b6ea540547c4716af3e3c392.JPG2018_06160040.thumb.JPG.2ec814c80d5eb9fb19b414086dc41510.JPG

• Like 5

On 28/06/2018 at 23:06, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Thanks Swan,

We had to moor at the Lido, as we could`nt get back under the bridge, as the the tv ariel mount stands about 4"-5" above the cabin top. The mount was an inch too tall, but without it, we could have gone back under with around 3"+ to spare. Having said that, if we did get back under, we WOULD`NT have realised how much more peaceful and convenient for Beccles the Lido moorings are.  The only down side compared to the Yacht station is the lack of 240v  hook up, but we`ve had many hirecraft that have`nt had it in the past, so no worries.

Neil, are you saying the air draft has been increased by the tv aerial? If so, that's bizarre. I like the lido mooring too - quieter than the Yacht Station, pretty and convenient for the town. 

22 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Neil, are you saying the air draft has been increased by the tv aerial? If so, that's bizarre. I like the lido mooring too - quieter than the Yacht Station, pretty and convenient for the town. 

Hi Simon,

Yes, the tv ariel on Lightning is a fixed pivot mount with one of those flying saucer things. Thre pivot mount is about 4" - 5" tall, and is mounted directly above the lower helm, which happens to be the highest part of the cabin moulding.

Hi again Simon,

This is the best pic i`ve got that shows the ariel when swung up on its pivot. The ariel can pivot back and away from the lower helm screen, or fwd giving best bridge clearance.  If you can find a way to zoom in, you may be able to see what i mean?.

2018_06160021.thumb.JPG.fe3c5373b908b9aadbc123140e95e888.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me again, 

If you zoom in on this shot, you can see the ariel swung fwd out of the way for bridge clearance ,  and possibly see what i mean about the height at the top of the pivot mount itself?2018_06160018.thumb.JPG.ed1864d240db2da7db31f66062013020.JPG. It`s in front of the lower screen,  so interferes with vision (only slightly) when navigating a bridge from the lower helm

• Thanks 1

Holding a fish in a dry towel destroys their slime and scales allowing parasites to set in which eventually kills them. Land a fish in an appropriate net, use an unhooking mat or wet surface, unhook and release as soon as possible for best chance of survival

That's what my Dad taught me anyway

Grace

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Me again, 

If you zoom in on this shot, you can see the ariel swung fwd out of the way for bridge clearance ,  and possibly see what i mean about the height at the top of the pivot mount itself?2018_06160018.thumb.JPG.ed1864d240db2da7db31f66062013020.JPG. It`s in front of the lower screen,  so interferes with vision (only slightly) when navigating a bridge from the lower helm

Thanks for explaining and the pictures, Neil. If the mount effectively increases air draft above the height of the screen when folded then thats unfortunate in my view. Sometimes at Wroxham and Beccles you need every inch you can get. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Thanks for explaining and the pictures, Neil. If the mount effectively increases air draft above the height of the screen when folded then thats unfortunate in my view. Sometimes at Wroxham and Beccles you need every inch you can get. 

You`re absolutely spot on Simon.  When we neared Beccles old road bridge, the pushpit mounted flag staff touched the bridge, and we closed in very slowly to see what clearance we had, and found out it was an inch or so too high. If we had something detachable, from elsewhere, we would have had around 3" to spare.  It`s something i`m going to raise at our next AGM, so we`re less restricted due to low bridges. It is`nt just the tv ariel either, the nav lights are a single unit on the cabin top ahead of the tv ariel, and i`m going to suggest we investigate its replacement with seperate units that mount on the side of the cabin moulding.

• Like 1