Tally Ho Restoration Films

Polly

I haven't looked at all of these yet, but Warp was over last night, played some and we got hooked on the later episodes. It's not just the boat, there is the Fred Dibnah approach to problem solving, the priceless characters he interviews and, not forgetting the parrot.

Just watched the first two episodes - abs fascinating!

Glad to see he remembered to wear gloves and ear defenders when using the chainsaw :50_open_mouth: !

As someone who has had some chainsaw training it gave me shivers to watch him up the tree :52_fearful::51_scream:

... and those props look a bit minimalist .....

I think my risk aversion is beginning to show ..... :10_wink:

9 hours ago, Aristotle said:

Just watched the first two episodes - abs fascinating!

Glad to see he remembered to wear gloves and ear defenders when using the chainsaw :50_open_mouth: !

As someone who has had some chainsaw training it gave me shivers to watch him up the tree :52_fearful::51_scream:

... and those props look a bit minimalist .....

I think my risk aversion is beginning to show ..... :10_wink:

You ain't seen nothing yet!:default_icon_eek:

• Like 1

Just watched a couple, I think you guys have just run up against the Atlantic Divide in woodwork. It's a common phenomenon when you start watching woodwork videos on YouTube. Here in the UK, we have them Safety Elves. Safety Elves don't make very good sailors so they don't get across the Atlantic. Come to think of it, Safety Elves know nothing of woodwork either and go out of their way to make jobs difficult and dangerous.

I think the table saw is the best example. I bought the best quality table saw that German technology could build. It's precise and it's accurate. I then fitted all of the 'safety features' the UK think it should have. The dust extraction and various blade guards. The dust extraction was good...will be better when my dust extractors come back from the boat. The blade guards...a nightmare accident waiting to happen. Especially if you only have good movement in one hand like I have. With the guard fitted you cannot see the blade and material. The guards deflect and catch on the material pushing it onto the blade at the wrong angle. This is not a fault with just my top of the range Bosch, it's a fault on all UK table saws. I intensely dislike that in the UK we are not allowed to use dado sets on the saws as 'the blades could fly off'. A dado set is a stack of saw blades for cutting grooves of various sizes in timber panels. 

Of course, there are many YouTube woodworkers with an almost suicidal attitude to tools! Have a look at Izzy Swann's channel. Although I think the chap must be half British with some of his inventions. The table saw bowl lathe had me cringing. But he makes some amazing things from wood usually powered with a battery drill!
Here are some of my favourites!

And this would be something we could use on a boat!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1