A Serious Question

In fairness Charlie, if you are after a sensible answer we need to know far more details. Usage, positioning etc. are they in the same amount of sunlight? are any in a position where some form of a heatsink comes into play ? all this and many more :)

1 hour ago, Philosophical said:

I believe I read somewhere that with different metal grain compositions resulting from modified forming and rolling processes, it is possible to get long sections of steel to expand somewhat width ways rather than predominantly length ways.

Has this said steel passed the tests of of the Ministry of transport???????????????????? if it had im sure it wouild be use in all places on the railways system where expansion was a problem.

2 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

But from a practical response it was well out, as I have known rails so hot, sausages have been cooked on them, that are in direct sunshine.

You can fry a sausage in a pan at 40 degrees c. According to Network Rail the highest recorded temperature for a railway track is 51c, or 123.8f so in working to a temperature of 140f I was factoring in a decent amount of leeway. My post was not without some factual research. Smart as I am, I don't keep all these figures in my head for immediate recall! :default_cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul said:

You can fry a sausage in a pan at 40 degrees c. According to Network Rail the highest recorded temperature for a railway track is 51c, or 123.8f so in working to a temperature of 140f I was factoring in a decent amount of leeway. My post was not without some factual research. Smart as I am, I don't keep all these figures in my head for immediate recall! :default_cool:

Maybe they should fry sausages and burgers on the track to feed the crews of all the boats trapped by the closed bridge.

3 hours ago, Philosophical said:

Maybe they should fry sausages and burgers on the track to feed the crews of all the boats trapped by the closed bridge.

With it being on the county boundary would they be Norfolk or Suffolk sausages?

4 minutes ago, webntweb said:

With it being on the county boundary would they be Norfolk or Suffolk sausages?

Give the punters a choice.