Acle Bridge Vanity Project

JennyMorgan

26 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Surroundings as in The Broads, excluding the tacky delights of Wroxham or Gt Yarmouth!

Sorry Peter but again I must lock horns.

What the quoted post rather implies is that any modern design is fine as long as it's similar to the bits you like!

That ain't gonna cut the mustard with anyone at Dragonfly house, and  ultimately, they're the people who will be making the decisions.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It would also be at the expense of quite a few mooring spaces.

It's difficult to tell from design drawings, the actual size of the proposed building, but I wouldn't imagine it would have a frontage of much more than 30 or 40 metres. Which, these days, probably amounts to three or four boat lengths at most. I don't know how much of the present mooring space, will actually be available as B.A. moorings, but there must be about 200 metres along there, including the old 'Curtiss Store', at the moment. So, even with the new building, there would be plenty of room for at least a dozen mooring spaces. Who knows, the building could perhaps be 'set back' from the riverside a little and allow mooring along it's frontage. Bearing in mind also, there are several hundred yards of bank space almost opposite, where boats are often moored. When you add on the moorings at 'The Bridge' pub and the boatyards, the Acle bridge area would seem to be quite well endowed with mooring spaces, when compared to many other places. 

9 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

I feel some how very uncomfortable at the BA building a visitor centre right opposite a site where they turned down proposals by The Broadland Boating Company for glamping pods which would have accommodated visitors!!!!

Anyone been past the WRC recently and seen the way the glamping pods and yurts are proliferating there? Now obviously someone knows how to play the system and the other is very new to the game, but the BA do not need to rub the new kid on the blocks nose in it.

Perhaps the BA should go back to being the planning authority and let some one else do the building? I wonder how many people didn't even bother looking at the Acle Bridge site because they thought planning would be such a pain in the you know what and therefore not worth the bother. For the BA to come along and over develop the site would be very bad form in my eyes.

Im not really all that sure I want them as a planning authority either but I can agree with what your saying! 

• Like 3

Thanks for your reply, Kingfisher666. All fair comments but please consider that the site was purchased in order to provide moorings and I have no doubt that it was financed out of tolls money. More than once I have passed through Acle without being able to find a mooring so I do feel precious about those three or four moorings that we could potentially lose.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

More than once I have passed through Acle without being able to find a mooring so I do feel precious about those three or four moorings that we could potentially lose.

It's a good job you didn't want to moor in Horning. You'd probably still be searching for that elusive mooring... :10_wink:

The artists impression shows the building directly at the waters edge so I would think there would be no moorings to the building frontage. Im pretty sure they might think boats would spoil the view anyway.

To me it looks like a Viking Long House. 

• Like 1

I started by not liking the idea or the designs but the concept in growing on me. I personally find the Bure upstream of the bridge to be a little unattractive  anyway and perhaps a landmark building will become an asset to the area. After all we all now love (don't we) the vandalism of putting a wind pump (or is it a mill)  in the middle of a historical gateway. Good job there weren't Broads Forums then! Of the three designs I find number two the most attractive and certainly the most original. Number one looks out of scale. OK for a smaller building but just doesn't look right at this size. Design three immediately made me think it was a spare chunk of the de Young museum in the Golden Gate Park and would just not sit comfortably at all in the Broadland landscape.

Fred

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dnks34 said:

To me it looks like a Viking Long House. 

well only in as much as it is long, a true longhouse would have crossed end beams, a lower pitch on the roof and either a thatched roof or turfs.

how do I know - I once built a 32 foot viking longhouse for re-enactment that went to shows at Maldon and Lindisfarne.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

and just to prove it I have evidence - now this would make a nice teaching space, 30 odd kids at a time, and we bought it off with a budget of under £1000 by buying the 'thatch' from the film makers of Robin Hood (it had only had one of the stuntmen fall through it - it was in 3m wide panels held together with wire twisted through), now I reckon I could still knock up something similar under about £3000 for the Acle site.

19-03-2008214107.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, trambo said:

I started by not liking the idea or the designs but the concept in growing on me. I personally find the Bure upstream of the bridge to be a little unattractive  anyway and perhaps a landmark building will become an asset to the area. After all we all now love (don't we) the vandalism of putting a wind pump (or is it a mill)  in the middle of a historical gateway. Good job there weren't Broads Forums then! Of the three designs I find number two the most attractive and certainly the most original. Number one looks out of scale. OK for a smaller building but just doesn't look right at this size. Design three immediately made me think it was a spare chunk of the de Young museum in the Golden Gate Park and would just not sit comfortably at all in the Broadland landscape.

Fred

When that mill was built there were still buildings along the river edge there, including a pub, it was still a busy area...

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, marshman said:

Talking of which I saw  his yurts the other day - no wonder the BA were not that keen!!

Loved the video proving to the B.A. that the yurts weren't fixed and were in fact 'portable'. Seven grown men lifting the thing up and staggering around with it. Couldn't help thinking they should have speeded the video up slightly and set it to some 'Benny Hill' music... :default_norty:

3 hours ago, grendel said:

and just to prove it I have evidence - now this would make a nice teaching space, 30 odd kids at a time, and we bought it off with a budget of under £1000 by buying the 'thatch' from the film makers of Robin Hood (it had only had one of the stuntmen fall through it - it was in 3m wide panels held together with wire twisted through), now I reckon I could still knock up something similar under about £3000 for the Acle site.

19-03-2008214107.jpg

If it was anything like the school I went to,  you'd have to make sure you confiscated the kids ciggies & matches, before letting them anywhere near it...  :71_smiling_imp:

50 minutes ago, marshman said:

Not surprising that James has something to say!!

Who says that James had anything to do it? I thought it was a laugh a line and demonstrated the best value of satire when wishing to make a point.

I particularly enjoyed "The Spirit of Boredom", "Horsefly House" and "The bastard offspring of a moth and a wherry"!

• Like 2