Come Friday we’re embarking on the Norfolk Broads for a 10 day break. We know of a few places to visit on the North broads, but we don’t generally stay long on the south as places appear few and far between and not much to visit other than Norwich. A couple of years ago we visited the Bell Inn, which was very good.

Generally looking for good fishing places, good food family friendly pubs and places to take my 4 year old.

Thank you

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Theres lots on the southern broads,Beccles, Oulton broad.Moor up and catch a train to Lowerstoft, Rockland broad.Reedham,Walk up to see Humpty dampty where the beer is brewed.These are just a few places to visit.Dont forget when you travel south you won't fall off the end of the world,maybe the river monsters will get you!Welcome to the forum from me to 

Ian

Lots to do on the South!

As Ian has already mentioned, moor up at Oulton Broad and take the short train ride (it's less than a fiver return). Beccles is a lovely place to visit, lots of nice pubs and cafes and it's on a pretty stretch of the river.

Waveney River Centre is a good overnight stop and the shower block is always popular with us. The pub and other facilities on site make it a good stopover after a long trek from the North.

Whenever I'm on the 'South rivers' I always seem to end up at the same places, for the simple reason, I like them. Beccles is a lovely town and still has some nice independent shops left, but mostly I like it because the people are lovely. Norwich, I still say, is one of the nicest cities in our country, yes it has become a little too much like other large towns and cities, in recent years, but still retains it's lovely East Anglian heart. I always enjoy mooring at 'Pyes Mill' in Loddon too, it's a lovely little walk into the town, along the lane and church footpath. Loddon, still retains it's Norfolk small town character too. I used to like visiting Oulton Broad, but it seems to have lost it's 'mojo' since all the boatyards have gone. It now seems just a suburb of Lowestoft, which makes me sad and apart from a circuit of the broad, I give it a miss these days.

Places to exercise a four year old?... Pyes Mill mooring (mentioned above), is nice for a little one to run around (under supervision of course). Whittlingham Broad Park is a nice place to wander, it's a large old gravel pit, transformed into a nature reserve, come park. The downstream dyke into Rockland Broad, offers a nice quiet mooring, with a lovely walk to the 'New Inn'. Brammerton Common, is a nice green area, for little ones to run off some energy too. Another lovely place for a 'run around' is Burgh Castle. A short walk from the B.A. moorings and a gorgeous place for a picnic, with lovely views across the marshes and into the distance. I'm far from an expert on the pubs, but Surlingham Ferry Inn is a favourite of mine.

Wherever you end up, have a lovely time and I hope the weather is kind to you, with children, the sun shining can really make the difference on a broads holiday...

P.S. I've just been reminded, there's a 'play park' right beside the Yacht Station at Beccles and Beccles Common (about 1/2 mile from the Yacht Station) is another nice place for a little one to have a run around too.

2 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

P.S. I've just been reminded, there's a 'play park' right beside the Yacht Station at Beccles and Beccles Common (about 1/2 mile from the Yacht Station) is another nice place for a little one to have a run around too.

The playpark next to Beccles YS is one of the best and most interesting I think I have ever seen. Different things for the kids to try and very well kept. Well done Beccles.

Come Friday we’re embarking on the Norfolk Broads for a 10 day break. We know of a few places to visit on the North broads, but we don’t generally stay long on the south as places appear few and far between and not much to visit other than Norwich. A couple of years ago we visited the Bell Inn, which was very good.
Generally looking for good fishing places, good food family friendly pubs and places to take my 4 year old.

Thank you

Thanks for all your replies. Places have been noted. Hopefully the weather remains good. Thanks again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2