Mud Wherry Cast Off

ChrisB

Does anyone know anymore about one of the BA's barges being set adrift on the Lower Bure.

Even unloaded the displacement of such a craft could cause a very serious incident. Sounds like they need a night-watch when working in that vicinity!

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Does anyone know anymore about one of the BA's barges being set adrift on the Lower Bure.

Even unloaded the displacement of such a craft could cause a very serious incident. Sounds like they need a night-watch when working in that vicinity!

I see the brain dead have been at it again.

36 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

That's a nasty looking whack in a wooden looking hull! Not going to be a cheap fix, so who's insurance would pay that one?

Good question, anyone know the answer? That stupidity could have been quite dangerous. I know the mud barge wasn’t moored at the YS but it makes me wonder why there aren’t rings at GYYS such as they have at Norwich YS. Boats have been cast adrift there in the past. 

There's some assumptions being made about the use or not of a chain! I have always seen BA barges moored up with the use of chains where possible, even saw one about two weeks ago being moored at Reedham and chain was used. Is it possible that with all the other ropes off the chain couldn't hold it in the strong current? I believe there are safety chains at Marina Quays, so even if no loops etc they may have chained it to the safety chain, which gave? Was it even moored to the quayside? The dredging crane barge is a few feet out from the quay side where they are dredging and they sometimes leave a barge alongside it ready for the next days work. Would they have chained it if it was alongside their crane? Did someone jump across a gap to the crane and then let the barge go? Did someone arrive in a tender and let the barge go?

I'm sure there will be more to come out and potentially lessons learned.

With regards to insurance then it will be The BA's insurance that will pay. The public liability part of their insurance.

6 hours ago, Paul said:

Let's get the Big Six on the case

Too far for PC Tedder to cycle from Horning. Anyway his veg patch would take priority at this time of year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

There's some assumptions being made about the use or not of a chain! I have always seen BA barges moored up with the use of chains where possible, even saw one about two weeks ago being moored at Reedham and chain was used. Is it possible that with all the other ropes off the chain couldn't hold it in the strong current? I believe there are safety chains at Marina Quays, so even if no loops etc they may have chained it to the safety chain, which gave? Was it even moored to the quayside? The dredging crane barge is a few feet out from the quay side where they are dredging and they sometimes leave a barge alongside it ready for the next days work. Would they have chained it if it was alongside their crane? Did someone jump across a gap to the crane and then let the barge go? Did someone arrive in a tender and let the barge go?

I'm sure there will be more to come out and potentially lessons learned.

With regards to insurance then it will be The BA's insurance that will pay. The public liability part of their insurance.

The BA work boat moored at somerleyton over the last 3 months was never chained up , the river flows quite fast there too , that said they should be chained I even carry and use a chain for my boat if there's any history of this stuff in a certain area it is most defiantly on and that's every time in Norwich for sure having been untied 3 times there , as for insurance that's difficult now , BA say it was let loose that kinda get them off the hook  though had it been chained someone would have had to have a set of bolt croppers to do the job n that's not going to happen really , who knows exactly what happened n even BA don't know that though they are quick enough to say its someone else that caused it to float off , had it not bit others they might not have done , but since there is damage to other vessels then they ate a bit too quick IMHO to blame someone else , vessels of that size and weight in that location and many others where the flow rate is high need securing properly and had my vessel been damaged then that's exactly what I'd expect BA to prove .

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

If the boat belongs to the B.A. or one of their contractors no matter who interfered with it, if it has hit other boats and caused damage their insurance company will be liable for any damage.

Regards

Alan

That's exactly how I see it as well. Doesn't matter that the BA were not responsible for it being let go, it was still their insured property that caused the damage. If their policy is anything like mine, it has a due care and diligence clause. So if it could be proved that the BA or their employees had not taken proper care in securely mooring the vessel then the BA property (vessel) itself would not be covered, but damage to other vessels would still be by the BA's insurers. No third party would lose out, only the BA IF they had been negligent.

In the above I'm making no assumptions on what actually happened. 

5 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

That's exactly how I see it as well. Doesn't matter that the BA were not responsible for it being let go, it was still their insured property that caused the damage. If their policy is anything like mine, it has a due care and diligence clause. So if it could be proved that the BA or their employees had not taken proper care in securely mooring the vessel then the BA property (vessel) itself would not be covered, but damage to other vessels would still be by the BA's insurers. No third party would lose out, only the BA IF they had been negligent.

In the above I'm making no assumptions on what actually happened. 

No one can really assume what happened accurately they weren't there , I do see the insurance point n its as it should be all posable efforts need to be made to secure it , now on a private boat that probably doesn't include chains but I recon it would on a commercial vessel given its weight and location , bolt croppers are not light and no one is going to carry them about just in case .

Personally I'm happy In the fact no one was injured and vessels didn't get hit so hard that they sank , yiu can repair both boats and humans but you can only bring back to life a boat humans that's impossible so thankfully those affected are all OK .

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

Ok you win what are they? Sounds like a Tomato or runner bean!

peas, in coot club mrs Barrable asked pc Teddar what the best peas where , and from memory that was the answer..

just gone checking 

Mrs. Barrable thought it time to speak of other things. She asked Mr. Tedder what sort of a spring it had been for gardening, and what seeds he had in, and what were the best of the new peas. Constable Tedder told her that, between themselves, she couldn’t do better than Melksham Wonder if she wanted peas that would eat well and pod well and not go rambling wild. They walked slowly off the staithe together.

• Like 2

Insurance companies will only pay third parties if their insured client is shown to be negligent.

Negligence is the one big key matter in every sort of insurance claim where you hold someone liable and claim from their insurers.

It is exactly the same principle as in car accidents and is why your insurance documents always say ' never admit liability'

28 minutes ago, vanessan said:

What do you chain up to then if you use a chain? 

Safety chain or on a wild mooring anything that would cause those that let boats loose a big problem ie large tree hence a lot of chain , personally I've around 3 metres to call on ,+ a bit more of required , remember a little inconvenience is your safeguard and since I live onboard and highly likely that the animals are here then its important , stuff the hard work and inconvenience what matters is keeping yours yours really ,and the animals safe .