Justice Is Done!

Regardless of what some of us seem to think. I doubt if the non lifting of the bridge is deliberately to 'wind up' boaters. Probably more to do with 'Peel Ports', or whoever is responsible these days, saving money on bridge operator wages, maintenance and running costs. When I lived in Gorleston (during the seventies), I'm pretty sure the bridge was operated by the Borough Council and it lifted regularly (for fishing, pleasure trip & oil rig boats) and was kept well maintained. The only time that bridge raising was frowned upon was 'rush hour' morning & evening during the working week & Saturday afternoons in summer, when the holiday traffic was heavy (this was before the Breydon Bridge and Gt. Yarmouth was still a thriving holiday town). But, times have changed and the 'service ethos' is long gone. The cost of raising the bridge and who pays, is all that matters now, unfortunately...

Oh dear!

I cannot remember the posts you have edited or hidden. 

I expect in hindsight they cannot have been that important in the scheme of things. We will never know.

What I do know is that the integrity of the forum must be maintained against those who lack understanding of those who have a deep and sincere commitment for the Broads in general.

There are moderators who are tasked to judge and deliberate on those who challenge this ideal, those who challenge in a sensitive manner, and those who regretfully do not.

As a forum of considerable standing we will address this issue and resolve this matter as is our position has proven in the past.

Andrew.

Edited by Wussername
  • Like 5

Haven bridge getting stuck and inconveniencing road traffic could well be the best thing that could have happened.  I suspect Peel ports will be inundated from not just drivers, but pedestrians, bushinesses and the like, councillors will feel the heat too there will be a large number with volume at Peel Ports door.  Far more grief coming their way than if the odd boat is inconvenienced.  It just might result in some serious maintenance being carried out on the bridge as a result.  Then again Peel might be that nervous of ever opening it again ever!

Griff

• Like 2

Well , they will surely know where the mechanical issue is by now, there is a chance it may have been operator error, as unlike modern bridges where it is just press a button , these old bridges must require a sequence of operations to be carried out correctly, so one missed step or out of sequence step would cause issues, but then my bet is on a mechanical failure, something a simple as a sensor failure can easily stop these things, the sensors would probably not have been an original feature and may have been added at a later date to reduce the required manning levels , ie light to say when something had happened that would have originally been eyeballed by one of the bridge crew.

• Like 2

To my knowledge that bridge has been stuck open twice in recent days so I doubt that it is operator error, not twice surely. 

Daft thing is is that there are two bridges so if one is broken then use the other, so simple, but seemingly Yarmouth people haven't yet latched onto that obvious solution to their problems! Durrr, I always use the Southtown Bridge!!

• Like 1