Documentary Penlee Disaster

ChrisB

The BBC 2006 documentary on the above is being aired at 20.00 Sunday 24th on BBC 4.

I remember it as a sad but extremely well made and informative program. 

This year it will be 37 years since that worst of Christmas news broke. Many of todays boating fraternity were perhaps not born and if they have not done so before, I would urge them to watch this time around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The Solomon Browne. Remember this so well possibly the biggest story in the media of 1981

Went out to aid the Union star who's engines had failed

A fantastic tribute song by Seth Lakeman which was used recently by the disaster committe a few years back

Solomon Browne Seth Lakeman

Hmmmm, don't get me wrong. The guys were without doubt heroes, but I suspect the tale that is to be told shows another side to this tragic incident.

A massive amount of money was collected after this event in pubs and bars across the land, so much so that the3 "diviing" out of the dosh caused much anguish. I think that this is a program I shall avoid this time around.

Many names were dragged through the mud