Moorings During The Busy Months

Wyndham

A first for us this year, a visit in July, never done it before, normally April and October.

At that time you can pretty much rock up anywhere at anytime and get a space.

So what is the perceived forum wisdom for mooring up during the busy times? Get there early (what time?) or just take a chance and be prepared to mudweight somewhere?

A first for us this year, a visit in July, never done it before, normally April and October.
At that time you can pretty much rock up anywhere at anytime and get a space.
So what is the perceived forum wisdom for mooring up during the busy times? Get there early (what time?) or just take a chance and be prepared to mudweight somewhere?
You should find space.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

I suspect main problem is honeypot moorings, Horning, Ranworth etc

Dinghy? Try arriving between 9.30 and 11.30? The great British public are very set in their ways. 8.00 get up. Run engine so all crew can shower. 9.30 - 10 set off. 12 start looking for a mooring near a pub. 2 - 2.30 set off again 5 look for another mooring near a pub. Run engine again. :default_norty:

Or as JM says go South. 

As 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

There are a number of factors to this including whether you are staying north or south or both, how early you like to be away from your mooring and how many hours a day you like to cruise.

I agree that March, May and October you can get in mostly wherever you like. My experience of mid to end June and early September would be this:

• Popular moorings on the north, like Ranworth Staithe, Womack Water and Fleet Dyke, will fill up quickly.
  • People will start mooring for their favourite lunch spots by 11.30 to 12. Some will move on again around 2 to 3 but some will stay put for the day.
  • My preference is to get on the move by 7.30 to 8 so as to enjoy the rivers at their quietest. We might then moor around 11 to 11.30, stay there for lunch, then move on again, mooring up by 3. 
  • But if you want to overnight at Ranworth Staithe then be prepared to be there by around 10.30 to 11, moor up and stay all day, taking advantage of the local area and facilities to have more of a non-cruising day!
  • Have some change with you ... Ranworth Island and areas at Salhouse will often be free long after other places have filled up but you have to pay to stay overnight.
  • Remember that if you are hiring and want to moor up later then you may get into the boatyards if their fleet is out.
  • Alternatively, my experience on the southern broads was a few years ago now but none of the above applied and we mostly moored mid-June with no problem at all. Can't say if that would be different in July but Beccles, Oulton Broad, Waveney River Centre and one or two of the pubs will take advanced bookings for moorings, or so I am told.
  • Like 3

At the busy times it pays to be a little out of kilter with what the others are doing. So get up in the morning and cruise straight away and plan to have breakfast a little later when you arrive at your next mooring, as people who have had breakfast are just thinking about moving on. Works well for places such as Ranworth. Then take it easy and have an early lunch in the pub and leave early to get to your next mooring early while others are still having a late lunch. Enjoy an early evening meal and a pint or two and then cast off and moor in a wild mooring, or mud weight away from the madding crowd. Have a really good nights sleep ready to cast of early again and look again for your first mooring just after others are departing after breakfast.

• Like 2

Don't go south, July is dragon breeding season and if you get too close to the nests they burn your boat!

Seriously it can get busy at the weekends but otherwise it's just dog eat dog.

Unless we have plans we normally run back to base at the weekends.

paul

• Haha 2

Be aware that july is the main season for sea monsters and dragons on the southern broads and the tides run at 20 knots at that time of the year and don't follow the tables, sometimes it even runs sideways into the bank.

Far better and safer to stay north.......

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Wyndham said:

A lot depends on where you would prefer to moor. If you'd like to be close to a pub/restaurant, then either book a mooring (if possible) or probably the only other option is to get there early. I'm not one for pub moorings, as the 'race for a space' isn't for me.

During high season, you have the advantage of long hours of daylight, it makes sense to me, to take advantage of that. An early(ish) start, will give you some nice relaxing cruising, while the rivers and broads are still quiet. We often arrive at our destination just as people are leaving, in the late morning and moorings are easy to find. You can then spend the middle of the day, going for a walk, exploring, or doing whatever you want to do...

If we come back to the boat in the late afternoon, we'll often move off again early evening. The rivers are quiet again, because a lot of people will have already moored for the night. The only downside to this, is you have to be fairly flexible about where you want to moor for the night. It might be a quiet 'wild mooring' or perhaps in a boatyard, maybe even 'mudweight' on a broad. It certainly helps to know the places where a mooring might be found and just take the opportunity, when it arises...

21 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

A lot depends on where you would prefer to moor. If you'd like to be close to a pub/restaurant, then either book a mooring (if possible) or probably the only other option is to get there early. I'm not one for pub moorings, as the 'race for a space' isn't for me.

That's a very good point Andrew. We tend to moor near a pub at lunchtime if we want to eat off the boat, and then move on to somewhere quieter for our overnight spot. We find that a much more relaxing way to do it. There are some great places to eat around the Broads but we prefer not to be near roads or anywhere noisy overnight.

• Like 4

We’re up tomorrow, hiring from Pacific as we did last year, we haven’t had a problem this time of year

We normally moor 11ish for lunch and  4ish for dinner; pub based obviously. ?I’ve now cursed it but having the dinghy means I can get to the Malsters even if I have to mud weight!

However, that’ll mean having to row Lottie for early morning ‘constitutional’ although I have packed puppy pads although not needed for 3months, just in case!

if it gets too busy north, we’ll just go back south!

• Like 1

Some good advice so far. I'd also add be brave with wild moorings. Theres some popular wild spots on the Ant but there still tends to be a bit of grassy bank free somewhere. The Bure above Acle also has a few wild spots. 

Some public moorings never fill up like Hoveton Viaduct, Salhouse Spit and Acle Bridge if youre prepared to use rhond anchors at the top end. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for all your replies, I've had a grump on this week so been keeping out of things.

You've all pretty much said what I thought, book it or get there early, otherwise take a chance and be prepared to drop a plug somewhere.

Thanks all.

I used to do the " cruise to lunchtime pub, have beer & lunch, then cruise to evening pub, have beer & dinner." now days I do it a bit differently. "Cruise to lunchtime pub for beer & lunch then cruise to pub free spot for dinner and drink on board". It works for me.

On all of our three previous visits with our own boat at this time of year and in the school holidays we must have been really lucky as we have always managed to moor exactly where we have aimed for each day and usually in prime mooring spots. But then again our boat is quite small so we can usually nip into the small gaps that people tend to leave between boats.

Being able to ask people to please would you mind moving up a bit helps. We once arrived at Rockland St Mary two seasons ago with three boats only moored on the RHS with about 8 feet between each of them. I asked if they would mind moving up and we then proceeded to get another three boats in. Same thing applies at Ranworth and Womack staithes although not always. One thing I would say about Womack Staithe is wait about a bit as people do tend to leave there after lunchtime to go somewhere more quiet. It's also a perfect mudweighting opportunity as it's calm and sheltered and has gorgeous sunsets, dinghy required for pub of course.

Salhouse spit is a good one if you want to find some shade on a hot day. 

M

• Like 1