Moorings During The Busy Months

Wyndham

5 minutes ago, KaptinKev said:

Let's just hope the Germans don't find out about the Broads, otherwise we will start to find towels on the mooring posts! :default_biggrin:

I gather from Facebook there are already folk who bring a roll of red and white hazard tape to reserve a mooring they want to return to!

Have to admit that I'm hesitant about asking people to move up a bit once moored. You can be perfectly moored against your neighbour(s) when you arrive but then as boats come and go it can look as if you have left a gap. But you can't keep moving just because the other boats around you keep changing. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, stumpy said:

I gather from Facebook there are already folk who bring a roll of red and white hazard tape to reserve a mooring they want to return to!

If this is true, I do hope the rangers or the boys in blue of the broads are on the case of this one. Although on one of my trips of the broads I came across a large man trying to moor one of these boats with a blue light on top and believe me, he didn't seem to know what he was doing.

I'm sure he was just a one off.:default_dunce:

13 hours ago, stumpy said:

It would be nice to think that anyone that saw this happening would remove it after they left.

13 hours ago, stumpy said:

There's a wild mooring on the Ant, just north of Barton with red and white tape on. It's been like it for a couple of years.

I have moored there and took the tape away, I've seen other hire craft moored there ignoring the tape.

Now it has a sign saying "No Mooring". It doesn't look official, doesn't say "Private" or look like anything to do with the BA.

I wonder what's going on there.

For the asking to move part I really meant to say (but didn't) stern on mooring as its usually 2x 6 ft gaps to make one 12 ft gap which of course we can squeeze into quite easily.

If there are huge gaps left by departing boats when side on moored, that really should be a no brainer for folks and they shouldn't need asking. We frequently move to make more space. Sometimes these spaces, perhaps near the escape ladders are filled with "fishing tackle" as justification not to move. I simply ask them to move with a smile, guilt does the rest.

Last time I did this (Womack Dyke) I was called a c u next Tuesday. Broads beat was called and they caught up with the perpetrators later the same day. We weren't the only complainant it seems. I did call the boatyard to advise them of the behavior of their hirers, met with zero interest and a belligerent attitude. I even offered them video evidence, seems the mighty hire fee trumped basic good manners and aggressive behavior . Oh they were all drunk as skunks too which obviously didn't help. The C U next Tuesday comment was shouted in the full hearing of my wife, daughter and youngest son... even whilst we were videoing them for evidence purposes as we were just about to crush some valuable fishing gear as we were being blown by the wind. This was left in the river deliberately to prevent us mooring and was the last thing removed after tens of beer cans, seats, bait boxes and keep nets. Last thing to go was the rod....Oh well ...

M

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Malanka said:

Last time I did this (Womack Dyke) I was called a c u next Tuesday. Broads beat was called and they caught up with the perpetrators later the same day. We weren't the only complainant it seems. I did call the boatyard to advise them of the behavior of their hirers, met with zero interest and a belligerent attitude. I even offered them video evidence, seems the mighty hire fee trumped basic good manners and aggressive behavior . Oh they were all drunk as skunks too which obviously didn't help. The C U next Tuesday comment was shouted in the full hearing of my wife, daughter and youngest son... even whilst we were videoing them for evidence purposes as we were just about to crush some valuable fishing gear as we were being blown by the wind. This was left in the river deliberately to prevent us mooring and was the last thing removed after tens of beer cans, seats, bait boxes and keep nets. Last thing to go was the rod....Oh well ...

M

Probably best, not to point video cameras at people you don't know, if you want a reasonable and friendly reaction to your requests, on first meeting. Though I'm sure the reaction would not have been as bad as you received, I can think of a number of people who, quite reasonably, might not be overly happy, to find themselves being 'videoed for evidence purposes' by someone they've never spoken to, nor even met before.

Hi Andrew,

Although I don't disagree with you at all there were some extenuating circumstances which in the interests of brevity I didn't  previously mention.

We started to video only after the initial swearing and our polite but unwelcome contact, when it became obvious that they were not going to willingly cooperate, this was made perfectly clear when one of the drunks said " this is being video'd you c u next Tuesday". Our video was started after this implied threat, and was discretely being done by my son and was by no means visible to them at all and was mainly to collect the aggressive swearing and attempted delaying which we wanted to give to Broads beat by means of self protection from counter claims. So there were no reasons for them to be rude and aggressive at all they were just rude and aggressive people, who didn't like that fishing takes second place to boating. (They were sitting in front of and had rods resting on the notice telling them this) They were asked very politely to move their fishing gear and then took the best part of ten to fifteen minutes to comply. Bear in mind this was Womack dyke which is windy, busy and narrow. Remember all they were being asked to do was move up some fishing gear not the boat, the gap between boats was filled with fishing gear, more specifically two rods and three or four long keep nets (which proved to be empty)

I am afraid if I did not like, or was sensitive to having video cameras pointed at me or pictures taken of me and my children then I would have to never leave the wetshed, this happens every day multiple times. You may be surprised but it would not be an exaggeration to say that in the summer season it is almost every one we see on the banks and every boat we pass in the water. We just accept it and wave and don't mind at all. OK sometimes it gets irritating we are human after all but mostly not. The irritating part is when the thirteenth person comes and asks to take photos and ask the same questions. It's hard not to sigh and say yes of course with good grace.

Unfortunately anonymity is not something we enjoy whilst  cruising as we happen to be the custodian of a boat that people want to photograph. I did it to nice boats and houses I liked when I hired boats for 35 years before buying one so I don't object. The teens hated it and "photo-bombed" quite a few holiday snaps in their time as teenagers.  I have only objected once and that was when a photograph was taken when we were moored in Horning and the photograph became the front page of a website for an estate agents. The reason I objected was that my daughter then aged 14 was in the picture and her face was clearly evident.

To be honest its also nice when people say nice boat and give us the thumbs up, I always say thank you as well because I am pleased they like the same things I like.

One a similar vein there seems to be a belief that taking photographs or video in a public space is somehow restricted  which is is not. Only in specific circumstances of commercial use would contravene such a scenario. The relationship here in Switzerland is even better as photos from your private space of and into someone else's private space is prohibited by law. From the pavement it's perfectly ok. Silly huh.. 

Anyway I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Enjoy! Only two more sleeps...... Lists are being made and pre-packing commencing tonight...Roof bars and roof box to go....

Martin

I guess I'm lucky, I've never personally experienced such an incident, while on the Broads. I've seen a couple of nasty incidents, at Oulton Broad and Gt. Yarmouth, both alcohol associated. I hate that kind of thing and I'm not ashamed to say, I'll put distance between me and those involved, pretty quickly!... I'm sorry for my critical post, but I have seen 'silly little things' escalate into nasty situations, because of 'videoing'...

Thank you for your clarification and I hope you and your family have put the experience behind you. Enjoy your forthcoming trip, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful 'problem free' trip, this time around... :12_slight_smile:

The issue of fishing gear spread out at moorings is very common. So often I have seen a boat moored with 2/3 posts left clear at the end of a mooring, specifically so fishing tackle can be spread out. I believe quite a bit of mooring space is lost through such practice and people move on rather than experience the unpleasant confrontation that sometimes ensues. Personally I think it is time the BA stopped bankside fishing at all their 24 hour moorings, at least between 16 March and, say, the end of September - as they do at Bramerton. There are numerous fishing platforms and banks etc available now and anglers (unless they are boaters too) pay nothing towards the upkeep of the moorings. Boaters, hirers or privateers, can still fish from their boats. I am expecting the usual barrage of indignation at making this suggestion, seems to be the norm now so :default_gbxhmm:.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

The issue of fishing gear spread out at moorings is very common. So often I have seen a boat moored with 2/3 posts left clear at the end of a mooring, specifically so fishing tackle can be spread out. I believe quite a bit of mooring space is lost through such practice and people move on rather than experience the unpleasant confrontation that sometimes ensues. Personally I think it is time the BA stopped bankside fishing at all their 24 hour moorings, at least between 16 March and, say, the end of September - as they do at Bramerton. There are numerous fishing platforms and banks etc available now and anglers (unless they are boaters too) pay nothing towards the upkeep of the moorings. Boaters, hirers or privateers, can still fish from their boats. I am expecting the usual barrage of indignation at making this suggestion, seems to be the norm now so :default_gbxhmm:.

The Rangers and Police I have seen on the Broads I doubt want any confrontation as they are not built for it, and are there for visual purposes only!

5 hours ago, vanessan said:

I agree, I know its a difficult one to call but if theres a risk of bad behaviour the only way to protect people from confrontation is to ban fishing from BA moorings completely.  With the exception of fishing from your boat. 

As I have said before the moorings by the bypass bridge in Beccles seem to be used by match fisherman throughout the off season, how can you move up when your fishing a match? 

8 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I agree, I know its a difficult one to call but if theres a risk of bad behaviour the only way to protect people from confrontation is to ban fishing from BA moorings completely.  

Who is going to enforce it?

I think the simple answer is no one. Times when you wish you were six foot six and seventeen stone :default_swordpir: 

One reason why we try to go mid May to Mid June and of course December and February when fishermen are very thin on the ground anyway, mostly using small dorys for some reason if they are out, rather than moorings thankfully.

• Like 1

The following is intended to provide background not criticism in any way of anyone or  any previous post. I didn’t take any replies to my post as critical in any way and it’s all good ...

The most intimidating thing to do should you wish to be intimidating is to stay calm when confronted by swearing rudeness or aggression. It takes huge amounts of energy ( adrenaline) to stay angry and keep forcing things. No energy above normal to keep calm required.

the last person to threaten to punch me was at Salhouse over 5 or six years ago now. I calmly and politely told him he was perfectly ok to try. The immediate oh sh*t moment on his face was priceless. 

Staying calm is easy if you want to. Being involved but not overtly intimidating is easy. Some have said and no criticism to those that deal with things differently that they would put a distance between themselves and the other protagonists. Well as someone that spent the first 20 years of my life being both physically and mentally abused, bullied, and afraid,  call it what you like. I went out of my way to learn not to be intimidated and deal with things in the way I choose not the way others choose.  6 years worth of training is still there, I’m not as fit or as enthusiastic as I used to be but with age comes wisdom apparently and since I learned all that stuff ( what I learned was not a sport) I have used the physical side only once over 35 years ago now and involved the use of two fingers nothing more. The mental stuff I use all the time. 

I refuse to have my free time ruined by thoughtless idiots. 

• Like 5

There is one problem with that. What about anyone who has hired a boat that doesn’t have anywhere much to fish from but wants to sit on the bank to fish as long as due consideration is given to any boats approaching the mooring?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

as long as due consideration is given to any boats approaching

That's the key, consideration. The problems arise when persons fishing stubbornly refuse to shift. 

I don't know if it's possible to fish from onboard a moored boat? There are lots of fishing platforms dotted about which don't seem to be used. I think as Jean says a bit of consideration all round would obviate many of the problems. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

There is one problem with that. What about anyone who has hired a boat that doesn’t have anywhere much to fish from but wants to sit on the bank to fish as long as due consideration is given to any boats approaching the mooring?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I think it is inevitable that there will be someone not happy but that happens when tough measures are needed. I would imagine most anglers hiring a boat would choose one suitable to fish from, I don’t know for sure though it is just an assumption. I agree that the current system works as long as anglers give way but I do think there are boaters afraid to ask and probably quite a few who are unaware they can ask. There are those who never bother to read signs. (Hands up anyone who has come through Ludham Bridge and found a 40+ foot boat moored at the less than 20 foot mooring!) 

The BA has chosen to ban bankside fishing from Bramerton during the busy months and one or two other locations, I don’t know why but must be for a good reason. 

• Like 1

One question I'm not sure of, but I have seen elsewhere is the statement that, While BA moorings are primarily for Boats and fishermen can be asked to move. Non BA, Village staithes do not have that regulation.

Personnally I think it will be up to the parish council if they have control, to make or not make that regulation.

But actually what are the regs on all the village staithes???

5 minutes ago, TheQ said:

One question I'm not sure of, but I have seen elsewhere is the statement that, While BA moorings are primarily for Boats and fishermen can be asked to move. Non BA, Village staithes do not have that regulation.

Personnally I think it will be up to the parish council if they have control, to make or not make that regulation.

But actually what are the regs on all the village staithes???

I am trying to think of the village staithes that are still maintained by the local councils but the main ones seem to be BA moorings now. I assume the councils would put up signs, such as at Irstead where the sign states no launching of boats. I believe there is a boat at Stalham Staithe that has been there for a very long time so maybe that particular local council isn’t too bothered about what goes on.