Boat Being Untied.

tonplus

As has been mentioned, It really isn't something to worry about, if you're new to the Norfolk Broads or just thinking about your first broads boating holiday. I've been boating on the broads, probably thirty odd times, since 1972 and have never been cast adrift. Of course, I've heard about it, but have never actually seen a boat adrift myself. I have occasionally seen a boat 'dangling into the river' held by one rope, but put that down to a dodgy tie up, rather than anything worse. So, through personal experience, I'd say it's not something to worry about.

I would imagine the 'hot spots' for setting adrift, to be the town moorings, but we've often moored in Norwich, Gt. Yarmouth, Oulton Broad and Beccles Yacht Stations and never had problems. If you stay at Norwich Yacht Station, it's probably best to go midweek, as weekends can sometimes be a bit noisy, but there are quieter alternatives on the river, not far out of the city. Whatever you do, don't let the stories of 'weekend mayhem' stop you going into the city, it really is a wonderful place to visit... :11_blush:

P1090815.JPG

I agree with the previous post, Norwich is indeed really a wonderful place to visit. It knocks GYA into a cocked hat by a country mile both during the day and evenings too.  We have visited many times on both hire craft and 'B.A' and never had any problems whatsoever including overnight at weekends.  Yes it maybe a tad more noiser, but that is more than made up for by the sights one sees late on at night, some of them comical, some eyebrow raising too.

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If boats being untied by ne'er do wells was a common, or even an occasional happening it wouldn't make the news, it would hardly be commented on. That is not to say taking precautions (mud weights etc.) isn't a good idea, but don't get paranoid about it. It is a rare event.

• Like 2

I can very honestly say that I have never been bothered by traffic noise etc when moored at NorwichYS. It does seem to quieten down overnight anyway. (And that’s from someone who lives in a small country village.) The fact I sleep so well when there could have something to do with exhaustion having had a day’s shopping of course! As has been mentioned, avoid the weekends (like most city centres) and it’s fine. 

Been untied on the canals a couple of times but only once on the Broads at Norwich, and I had taken the rope through the loop and back to the boat.

It was at the end of October and the decks were icy. Half asleep, two o'clock in the morning isn't the ideal time for somebody who can't swim to be clambering about the outside of a boat to retie a rope some scumbag thought was funny to untie.

I enjoy shopping in Norwich too, the 'independent' record shops around the city, are my main target... But, I have to stop at the 'fruit & veg' stalls at the front of the market, the local strawberries are just the best. Then, it's round to the 'Cheeseman' stall, anyone who says 'Norfolk can't make cheese' should try some!. Of course, I visit 'Pickerings' stall too, for their gorgeous pork pies & sausages... I always try to visit the market before I leave for home, so I can take most of it back with me...

P1090855.JPG

I’m sorry to be a party pooper to those saying this is a rare event as quite simply for us it is not. Last year we had our lines undone twice. We also were shouted at whilst moored in Coltishall by a silver hatchback with numerous yobs hanging out of it calling us c***s and f*****g w*****s and rich t***s. 

We report all such happenings . Luckily last summer at coltishall we didn’t go anywhere as I had taken bow line back onboard and as the tide was running it was very tight so they couldn’t undo it. Stern line was all undone though and boats bum was out into the river. 

Several times Boris has barked in the middle of the night and folks have decided maybe not. I too am awakened by a ducks fart so I’m on hair trigger. 

Last year once at woman dyke and once in Coltishall.

We have also had lines undone in Loddon too. So I’m pleased for you if it had not happened to you but I’m afraid to report for us it is a routine thing against which I take all precautions I can. 

Sorry folks 

M

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

I remember the poor German family that had hired a boat (Richardson's I think) about 3 or 4 years ago and had their lines cut at the Yarmouth Yacht station and only awoke in the early hours travelling down river towards the bridges. 

Needless to say that spoilt their hoiday, that was the worse report I have come across.

Regards

Alan

28 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I remember the poor German family that had hired a boat (Richardson's I think) about 3 or 4 years ago and had their lines cut at the Yarmouth Yacht station and only awoke in the early hours travelling down river towards the bridges. 

Needless to say that spoilt their hoiday, that was the worse report I have come across.

Regards

Alan

I too remember reading about that incident, a very bad place to be set adrift with the fast running tides. I believe they had young children aboard although I am not certain on that. Malanka’s experiences are very sad and worrying and it is clearly in all our interests to take whatever precautions we can when mooring. 

3 hours ago, Malanka said:

Last year once at woman dyke and once in Coltishall.

We have also had lines undone in Loddon too. So I’m pleased for you if it had not happened to you but I’m afraid to report for us it is a routine thing against which I take all precautions I can.

Wow... If that were me, I think I might need a little therapy, for an over large bout of paranoia. :36_flushed:

On 24/06/2018 at 10:25, vanessan said:

Just a word of warning about putting a mudweight down overnight - it’s very easy to forget it in the morning and sail off wondering why the steering is so awful! I made a letter box sized sign just saying ‘mudweight’, laminated it and we put it on the dashboard when the mudweight is in use. (You just have to remember to put the sign out at the appropriate time!)

Ha ha, done that.  When someone pointed it out to me, I pretended that I was giving it a wash. 

49 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

I know someone who managed to go from Loddon to approaching the Beauchamp Arms before the realised they hadnt lifted their mudweight...........

You? :default_biggrin:

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

Ha ha, done that.  When someone pointed it out to me, I pretended that I was giving it a wash. 

We have red paint on our mud weight chain to show when its fully up and a yellow section that shows its just under the water for cleaning.

• Like 1

We have red paint on our mud weight chain to show when its fully up and a yellow section that shows its just under the water for cleaning.

Well that is just proper showing off innit? :default_norty:

Onboard 'B.A' I have 14mm 8 plait rope, with no coloured markings, just MKI lookouts, Yorkshire grit  and muscle power with someone else on the helm whilst I see to getting the silt of said rope / mudweight.  Sometimes I miss a great globule of the stuff under said mudweight when I sit it down on it's stand - Joy and glee when that happens as that lot squeegees out all over the foc'sle deck :default_icon_e_surprised:      (Goes off muttering to onesen at the memory of such occasions)

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Hmmm - maybe I need a sign saying beer. It could serve as both an instruction and a reminder to pull the one In that's normally submerged off the back on a bit of string. Wouldn't be the first time I've set off and thought 'what's that bobbing along six feet astern ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Regards

Alan

I remember that well Alan, they were reported to be quite distressed too, who can blame them. Why these people get pleasure out of causing others distress beggars belief

Why is it that people assume just because you own a boat or hire one you are rich (or posh, for you Jay :default_wink:) In reality it's quite the opposite, you're broke most of the time if you own one or spend all your hard earned cash hiring one

Grace

• Like 5

Speaking of mudweight adventures,

Someone I know very well dropped the mudweight overboard after heaving it a great distance to achieve the correct angle for peak performance and holding capability only to then see the end of said mudweight rope, double braided of course, go sailing over the toe rail of the boat and under the rather less than crystal waters. Oops

Three volunteers from the crew then raced to see who could get disrobed fastest to retrieve the thing. Only took about three minutes for success to be announced. Aparently that is ....lol

Not much to worry about in July but this was September.....

• Haha 3