Somerleyton Bridge Now Operational

Sorry to report Somerleyton Bridge again none operational.

One of our owners had to wait on the pontoon below the bridge for the tide to be low enough to get under the bridge yesterday afternoon.

Dear All 

Urgent Boating News – The Authority have been informed that Somerleyton swing bridge is currently not operational. 

Kind Regards

Laura

Charlie, I may be wrong, but the way I read Alan's post is that the new news, in Blue from Laura is that the bridge has again predictably broken down this morning, more than likely due to the heat. I think Alan also included an anecdote from one of the syndicate owners from yesterday when the bridge was also out of action?

It appears that for a brief period this morning all was working ok.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In fairness, I saw on the lunchtime TV news that Network Rail are imposing speed restrictions all over the country because of rails starting to bend in the heat.

perhaps they should fit the summer rails :default_coat:

• Haha 3

I did see a comment last night to the effect that there were a whole bunch of spares for the two rail bridges, but that at a time when the price of scrap was good, these were weighed in for their scrap value, whether this is the case or not, if true it would show a certain amount of lack of care whether the navigation was maintained - (eg lets get rid of all the spares - then when the bridges fail we can just close them permanently as spares are no longer available for them).

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, grendel said:

I did see a comment last night to the effect that there were a whole bunch of spares for the two rail bridges, but that at a time when the price of scrap was good, these were weighed in for their scrap value, whether this is the case or not, if true it would show a certain amount of lack of care whether the navigation was maintained - (eg lets get rid of all the spares - then when the bridges fail we can just close them permanently as spares are no longer available for them).

The Authority did just the same with 'spares' at their Trowse depot, spares for their dredgers & cranes. Granted that much of it was scrap but apparently some were useful & valid spares.

1 hour ago, grendel said:

(eg lets get rid of all the spares - then when the bridges fail we can just close them permanently as spares are no longer available for them).

The lifetime I worked for British Rail, I never heard such a thing, that said when they built the Olympic stadium at Stratford I wonder what happened to all the signaling spares stored there?????. That said in my time no useful spare was ever scrapped. Some were stolen for sure as were new rails ready to go in as replacements if short lengths, also switch blades, thats where the spares went if thy disappeared rather than used over the years...

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

The lifetime I worked for British Rail, I never heard such a thing, that said when they built the Olympic stadium at Stratford I wonder what happened to all the signaling spares stored there?????. That said in my time no useful spare was ever scrapped. Some were stolen for sure as were new rails ready to go in as replacements if short lengths, also switch blades, thats where the spares went if thy disappeared rather than used over the years...

my dad worked for British rail until he transferred over to the ferries and then went on with sealink, but when they shut the engine sheds / depot at Ashford everything was left there, and surely must all have gone to scrap now, there were lines upon lines (100's of yards of track) filled with spare wheels. I doubt they were moved anywhere.

as companies shut premises and move to smaller more compact sites, all the storage goes, and its usually left full of what some would see as scrap - others as spares, cant see people nicking whole train wheels, not the easiest of things to shift, however if a demolition contractor came in they would have the means to dispose of large lumps of steelwork.

18 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

This is quite interesting - it's Network Rail's take on the hot rails situation. As mentioned earlier slowing trains seems part of the solution. East Anglia gets a specific mention. 

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/why-rails-buckle-in-britain/

Norfolk’s train are slow enough already. It will be interesting when the Norwich in 90 comes in my journey has just taken 1 hour 55 and that was with only 5 stops. 

JP does ask if his information can be relayed to all those interested, but I don't like to cut and paste from another Broads forum. Shame that JP doesn't join here. Maybe Alan can get a copy of the communication via his Navigation notices channel? Just checked and it doesn't yet appear on Twitter or the BA news page.

Not hard to find on the other side though if people are interested.

Seemingly JP has visited a number of forums so why not this one, has he been invited? Anyway, NOT from the other place!

Afternoon All,

Officers of the Broads Authority and Network Rail have been meeting regularly over a long period to discuss the significant problems that arise for boat owners when the two swing bridges at Reedham and Somerleyton are unable to open in very hot weather as a result of the thermal expansion of the rails.

One of the potential short term measures considered was to cool the rails by spraying water on them. There is no fresh water at Somerleyton and the engineers have concerns about the impact of using semi-saline water on the bridge structure.

However, given the current very high temperatures, the company is going to pump water out of the river onto the Somerleyton bridge for the next two weekends as a trial in an effort to keep it operational. Boat owners should therefore be aware that water drawn from the river will be cascading off the bridge back into the river.

Network Rail is doing its best to obtain the necessary equipment so that water spraying can commence this weekend.

Can you please alert all those you know who may be interested about this.

Thanks
John Packman
Chief Executive
Broads Authority

So us poor sods passing underneath in open boats are in for a soaking then!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2