Carbon Dioxide = Beer Shortage

Heads Up.

The supermarket shelves, wholesalers, pubs etc are due to be rationed as from today in the purchase of carbon dioxide gas.  This as you know is used in soft fizzy drinks, Beer, Girly lager (No loss there then) etc.  It was announced on Radio 2 lunchtime slot today.  This means of course along with it being bbq wx plus the England football games that consumption is higher than normal added to that the country is facing a shortage.  It also effects the production of meat too apparently

Now as we all know, those that must generally do so whilst being afloat, in fact there are some that state it is compulsory to have the odd libation whilst afloat, me included.

Therefore I suggest you stock up on your favourite beverages weather they contain alcohol or the fizzy stuff before there isn't any left

Your have been duly advised :default_beerchug:

I grabbed some today on my way home, Beer / Lager and fizzy stuff which is ironic, Why? - Yet again I have a dental problem and my dentist only today has put me on a course of anti-biotic tablets and yes you have guessed it - No consumption of alcohol in any form until the course of treatment is completed - Brilliant

Griff

• Like 2

I never realised until I did a bit of Google-ing - carbon dioxide is a by product of ammonia production. Apparently many plants have shut down for maintenance, hence the shortage.

Whilst I'm no fan of Stella and John Smiths, this could affect pubs quite badly which I certainly wouldn't like to see. Hope its resolved soon.

• Like 1

Millions of years ago CO2 was a major component of the earth's atmosphere. Today it is only 4 parts per million, thus demonstrating that we have almost entirely used it up in the production of beer. The government should urgently work to help step up the production of 4WDs and re-open all the mothballed coal-fired power stations. They should, of course, declare a national state of emergency.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I never realised until I did a bit of Google-ing - carbon dioxide is a by product of ammonia production. Apparently many plants have shut down for maintenance, hence the shortage.

Whilst I'm no fan of Stella and John Smiths, this could affect pubs quite badly which I certainly wouldn't like to see. Hope its resolved soon.

This will effect all pubs on kegs both on beer and lager, only pubs with hand drawn pumps will be exempt. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

No consumption of alcohol in any form until the course of treatment is completed - Brilliant 

Griff

I was getting worried for a while, thought there was going to be a shortage of alcohol, until I read the last bit. :default_rofl::default_biggrin:

You have my sympathies in this hot weather when only a nice cool beer will do. :default_beerchug: 

Heard today that the heatwave is due to last for at least the next two weeks. Good job I stocked up a few weeks back.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

only pubs with hand drawn pumps will be exempt. 

True indeed Alan. Most micro pubs are keg free and The Kings Head in Norwich :default_beerchug:

But I fear the vast majority will be affected. Mind you it might wean a few onto the real stuff :default_norty: :default_biggrin:

(wish we had a tongue in cheek smiley)

• Like 1

Just now, EastCoastIPA said:

Drink real ale, spirits or wine for a while. Now where does Gracie hide the key to the wine cellar? :default_winko:

You never mind where my gorgeous Grace hides anything :default_eusa_naughty:

I was going to stress that proper beer requires no CO2, only girlie paints rely on added gas.

Sadly, I too like Griff am off the alcohol due to a dental problem which has been going on for three weeks now. For most of that time I have been reduced to rolling up in a ball on the sofa rocking backwards and forwards like a demented bear. It's been a pretty miserable time. Another trip to the dentist today and the guilty wisdom tooth still cannot be removed as the swelling around it refuses to go away. So another week like this, and they will try again next Tuesday.

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Paul said:

I was going to stress that proper beer requires no CO2, only girlie paints rely on added gas.

Sadly, I too like Griff am off the alcohol due to a dental problem which has been going on for three weeks now. For most of that time I have been reduced to rolling up in a ball on the sofa rocking backwards and forwards like a demented bear. It's been a pretty miserable time. Another trip to the dentist today and the guilty wisdom tooth still cannot be removed as the swelling around it refuses to go away. So another week like this, and they will try again next Tuesday.

Ouch, condolences again!! Hope you are feeling better soon :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

It is a bit more complicated than your popular tabloid's explanation.

In recent years there has been a massive shift from ammonium nitrate to urea in agriculture. This has had the effect of reducing the amount of CO2 that is available for resale as less and less is classed as by-product as it is retained within the industry.

10 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I fear the vast majority will be affected. Mind you it might wean a few onto the real stuff :default_norty: :default_biggrin:

I'll drink whatever is being served so I'm not worried at all :default_winko:

3 hours ago, Gracie said:

Now whoda thought my Jay and Mr N would get involved with this topic :facepalm:

Grace

Yes because you always steer clear of alcohol related topics don't you gorgeous :default_smiley-taunt014:

I bottled 5 gallons of IPA, dry hopped with Citra and Mosaic hops this morning. A half-teaspoon of sugar in each bottle ensures that I will have a nicely conditioned and very tasty beer in about a month's time regardless of any CO2 shortage. 

• Like 2

Hi everyone, Just to add a note from a pub landlord perspective . I have the Canary and Linnet near Derham and touch wood have not seen to many problems as yet. I took a delivery of gas on Monday as usual. Talking to the Delivery company they stated this happens every year . This year however, the press have published it and made it worse and the usual panic buys have kicked in.They also inform me that a new UK plant is due to come online over the coming weeks so should help the problem.So there you have it Keep Calm, dont panic and carry on

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1