Hello From Cal

Cal

Hello to you all. Thought we had better introduce ourselves. We being me, Rachael, my other half Liam, the hound Sydney and our ever faithful boat, Sealine S23 Naughty-Cal.

We have visited the Broads many times over the years, starting off in hire boats before taking the plunge and buying our own boat which we have kept for the last ten years in Burton Waters, Lincoln. We have previously visited the Broads three times with Naughty-Cal, each time spending a week getting to and from Norfolk on the rivers and coast and then spending a week doing a whistle stop tour of the Broads.

This time we will be doing things a bit differently.

We had originally planned to have a visit to the Thames this summer. The trailer was booked many months in advance for this trip. But then about ten weeks ago we unexpectedly gained a rescue dog Sydney so we cancelled the trip as we didn't know how he would get on with the boat and as we had never visited the Thames before didn't know just how dog friendly it would be. Our plan changed instead to having a chug around our local rivers instead for a couple of weeks. As it happens Syd loves the boat so we needn't have cancelled the first trip but we have managed to rebook the trailer so we are instead going to be trailed to the Norfolk Broads so that we can spend the full two weeks down there for a change.

So we head down there on the 20th July and will be coming back home to Lincoln on 3rd August.

If you see us out and about give us a wave or better still pop across for a cold drink. The bar is almost always open on Naughty-Cal.

So here is Naughty-Cal:

20180519_130528.jpg

20170712_154548.jpg

20170717_140933.jpg

20170718_113457.jpg

20170721_141351.jpg

And the newest recruit Sydney

20180609_142450.jpg

20180624_090909.jpg

Hope we see some of you out and about on the rivers.

• Like 10

Thank you for the warm welcome guys.

We feel very privileged to be Sydney's custodians. He hasn't had the best start in life. He is only 20 months yet we are his fourth owners. We took him on about ten weeks ago when  his last owner left him and some cats locked on a narrowboat for at least a week with no food or water .

Fortunately for them some kind narrowboaters spotted their plight and stayed with them feeding them ice cubes and tit bits through the window!

We managed to get in contact with his owner who agreed we could take him on as he couldn't cope. A visit to the vets revealed he was 2kg under weight, flea bitten, covered in cat urine, had an infected cat bite on his rump, had worms and was generally in a dishevelled state with very little muscle build and itchy skin.

Ten weeks on he is almost back to ideal weight, is bulking up nicely, his coat and skin are in much better condition  and he is free of fleas and worms. He has come out of his shell and is now a proper mischievous young dog. He still has a lot to learn  but he will get there.

All of which had nothing to do with the Broads. Sorry for waffling!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Not really decided on a route as such. We will just mill around for a couple of weeks.  No great rush to be anywhere in particular. 

We may if the weather stays nice head down to Southwold for a couple of nights but again nothing set in stone.

We are launching and recovering at Sutton Staithe. 

• Like 1

Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum from me too. We spoke to a couple who were just about to have their boat craned out and trailered back to the Trent in Nottingham. They said it worked out much cheaper than cruising round the coast, and was NOT weather dependant.  My wife Karen and i will be in Lincolnshire in the August bank holday week, and plan on going to Lincoln for a day, so if we see you on board, we`ll come and say hello if that`s ok?.  Anyway, enjoy the forum, and enjoy your 2 weeks on the Broads.

Regards and best wishes .............................. Neil.

9 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Hi Rachel, welcome to the forum from me too. We spoke to a couple who were just about to have their boat craned out and trailered back to the Trent in Nottingham. They said it worked out much cheaper than cruising round the coast, and was NOT weather dependant.  My wife Karen and i will be in Lincolnshire in the August bank holday week, and plan on going to Lincoln for a day, so if we see you on board, we`ll come and say hello if that`s ok?.  Anyway, enjoy the forum, and enjoy your 2 weeks on the Broads.

Regards and best wishes .............................. Neil.

Having done the trip from Lincoln a few times now down the coast we usually spend about £600 on fuel for the round trip.

To get trailed there and back is a very similar price but as you say we will get there and will not be weather and sea condition dependent. On our last trip to the Broads by sea in 2016 we were very lucky to get back in our alloted two weeks as the weather kicked up for the last few days and we had to make the decision to either leave the boat at Wells next the Sea or make a break for it and go. We chose to go but it was not a very comfortable trip from Wells to Boston and both boats were running on vapours by the time we got back on the non tidal river!

None of that to worry about this time of course which will make a pleasant change.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Welcome Cal, does this mean we won't be able to read about your adventures on Canalworld anymore??

I have given up on CWF. It just isn't my cup of tea anymore. Just the same people flogging the same topics to death. For me it has run it's course.

Welcome Rachael 

I will be arriving as you are leaving in August, which is a shame as I would have certainly popped over to say hi and I am partial to the odd diet coke or lemonade :default_smiley-angelic002:

Enjoy your time on the broads, and welcome to the NBN

• 3 weeks later...

Hi good to meet you Rachael at Reedham ferry, just spotted you coming off the ferry this morning in between jobs so didn’t have time to have a beer .

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip

John

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Hi good to meet you Rachael at Reedham ferry, just spotted you coming off the ferry this morning in between jobs so didn’t have time to have a beer .

Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip

John

Thank you. Nice meeting you too. Good to put faces to names.

Bit early for the pub yet. It isn't midday. We are twiddling our fingers for half an hour before we can have a beer. :default_laugh: