Chicken In A Can

In the mid / late 1970's my family became regular visitors to the Broads, hiring from Pearson Marine, Brister Craft & Aston Boats (Beccles) at least once a year.

My mother was a bit of a traditionalist when it came to feeding us so always a cooked breakfast (the fried eggs always stuck in the aluminium frying pans supplied with the boat in those days) and a roast dinner on a Sunday. For years she had used the same butcher at home (Dewhursts in Bulwell) but for our Broads holidays she took with her a complete chicken in a can, which was about the size of a Watney Party Seven. No refrigeration required and when opened the bird "sort of" relaxed and filled a small roasting tin. The can was full of jelly which melted during cooking. With potatoes & veg, and a decent dollop of Bisto it made a half decent Sunday dinner. Anyone else remember chicken in a can? 

Image result for chicken in a can

• Like 1

Fortnums used to do a whole grouse in a can.

There is a legend that the late Duke of Westminster when stationed overseas got his Batman to throw one in the air on the 12th August so that he could shoot it before eating it.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Oh dear  I'm going to have to teach you lot how to cook:default_dry:

Nah you are ok. Sweet Sue has us all covered

3468588767_f012b51e7c.jpg.64225543f620a5d7acdabb5ad18d4881.jpg

I foresee the end is nigh for the need of  chefs anymore :default_biggrin:

What's wrong with that? Looks tasty. My mum (bless her) wasn't a good cook, and I think that might have been a bit better than some dinners I was served. She tried, and failed, and made no secret of it!

I was once dished up a shepherds pie from a ready-meal packet. She watched me eat it then said "Was that OK?". "Fine", I replied. "Good, " she says, "I scraped it up off the floor after I dropped it from the microwave!". I'm still here.

• Like 1

I think the look on that lad’s face probably says it all. I enjoy cooking but I’m really not sure I could face doing anything with that. I guess it could have been accompanied by Cadbury’s Smash and Surprise Peas - anyone remember them? (What do you get from Surprise Peas? - Chapped legs!!)

Anyway, thanks to chrisdobson for the post. 

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ray, Your mother's cooking sounds like my mother's. he didn't teach me how to cook, but made it essential that I learned.

Is there something your mum wasn't telling you?

What a good idea.   Anything that stops you have to panic about keeping fresh meat or poultry at 4 degrees is ok in my book.    These days people are far too fussy.    Saves worrying about the fridge on a boat.