Chicken In A Can

23 hours ago, Gracie said:

Oh for goodness sake that's disgusting, yuk 

I always eat the ready made stuff, you know like KFC  :default_norty:

Grace

When I was a boy there ws nothing like Colonel Sanders or Maccy D's. Scampi in a basket or chicken in a basket had just taken UK pubs by storm (Bridge Inn at Acle and Rising Sun at Coltishall were purveyors of this fayre, fine dining a'la 1977....)

• Like 1

When we first went boating on the Canals, we used to buy Fray Bentos pies and Smedley sausage rolls that were wrapped in grease-proof paper and then canned. These days we tend to take the Morrison's Cured Pork Loin Joints, these have a good use by date (we picked one up on Thursday and it has a 17th July date on it) these are ideal and at a pinch will feed 3 people.  

Regards

Alan

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

It didn't last very long though, as it used to close for lunch! Good old Norfolk!

I still cant get my head around Norfolk pubs closing in the afternoon in 2018 :default_biggrin:

22 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

When we first went boating on the Canals, we used to buy Fray Bentos pies and Smedley sausage rolls that were wrapped in grease-proof paper and then canned. These days we tend to take the Morrison's Cured Pork Loin Joints, these have a good use by date (we picked one up on Thursday and it has a 17th July date on it) these are ideal and at a pinch will feed 3 people.  

Regards

Alan

I am ashamed to say that I have three Fray Bentos pies in the cupboard in the flat in Bishops Stortford, just for emergencies I must stress (minced beef & onion, steak & gravy and chicken & mushroom). They are actually quite good....

Confession time? I have...look it's not my fault, I blame years of Scouting and,and, and being...a student...but, I've got this thing for Tinned Potatoes. There I said it. I know, I will never be able to look the chef at Claridges in the face ever again.:facepalm:

• Like 2

I always thought Fray Bentos pies were good too, certainly better than the cremated offerings some women serve up

Now Alan has put the idea in my head, I reckon a pie and pea supper next time I am alone on the boat is in order :default_biggrin:

Man Food

4 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Confession time? I have...look it's not my fault, I blame years of Scouting and,and, and being...a student...but, I've got this thing for Tinned Potatoes. There I said it. I know, I will never be able to look the chef at Claridges in the face ever again.:facepalm:

These are fantastic fried! Ages since I did that ?

Frey Bentos Pies got us through the first few years of married life, along with canned marrowfat peas and fried tinned potatoes.

We have moved on a little in 40 years but I would'nt say no to one of those meals again :12_slight_smile:

• Like 1

With the Scouts, we had two favourite dishes. I used to make the kids 'Skip's Fag Butt Stew'. On a visit to the local pub on a Friday night, I'd ask the landlady to empty the ashtrays into a poly bag. I'd leave the bag visible for the lads and use the fag butts to make a horrible concoction in a 12-pint billy can and pop it onto the open fire to boil. I'd then send the kids out to play a wide game while I made a beef stew and dumplings making sure I put in sliced leeks...cut to the same size at the fag butts.. in a different billy can. When the kids returned I'd get one of them to stir the horrible concoction so that he got a really good view of it before he joined the rest of the troop to wash his hands. Swapping the billy cans over I'd dish up dinner. Listening to the kids tell their mothers what they'd eaten. 'He made you eat what? And you liked it?'

The kids would often make Bear Stew. Because it was 'barely cooked, barely washed and barely edible'.

• Haha 3