Bit Of An Emergency !!

DaveB

Is there anyone on the river around the brundle area as my impeller has just given up the ghost, serious overheating as Steve Wright would say lol presently nose in to the bank just past Rockland broad towards reedham. A tow or a good number to call would be most appreciated!! 

Everitt Marine Services in Great Yarmouth are open today and have a tug to do recovery. He is related to John Cressey at Maffatt at Loddon, so could also drive over to Loddon and use their tug, which might be quicker. 07943 700865

Unfortunately I'm not at the boat today, otherwise would have come along.

• Like 1

Had I read this before leaving I would have given you a tow, left rockland broad 11.30ish heading for thorpe via the downstream cut (as it's deeper that way), didn't see you at all so I assume you were round the corner towards the beuchamps.

Could have easily given you a tow to brundle, no use now as back home 100 miles away.

• Like 1

We passed you just as the ranger arrive to assist you. We pulled a yacht off the mud on that stretch yesterday, so I had assumed you were grounded until I saw this thread. Hope you get fixed up okay.

Hi all, bit of an update :default_biggrin: back at home now, didn't get to Rockland headed for Beauchamp arms instead, and the old girl is tucked up outside the pub.

Here I must give a huge thankyou to Edgar the  broads patrol officer who rescued us , and to his mate Chris who's family bbq we rudely interrupted and who lent his car to a complete stranger so we could get to my car at somerleyton. 

There really are fantastic people out there .:default_beerchug:

Hopefully I'll be able to take a day off work this week to grab an impeller from Brian Wards and fit to get her back home :default_biggrin:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DaveB said:

Hopefully I'll be able to take a day off work this week to grab an impeller from Brian Wards and fit to get her back home :default_biggrin:

You need to do more than that Dave.

That impeller has stripped because of a back pressure in the raw water system. It has not burned out due to running dry.

You probably have a furred up heat exchanger, or gearbox oil cooler, in which case these must be removed and cleaned out with a suitable acid. At any rate, you now have all the broken bits of that impeller somewhere in the water system, usually blocking up the front of the heat exchanger, and you must find them and clear them out.

Jabsco impellers don't just fail. There is always a reason why they have been caused to fail.

At the same time you will probably need to replace the front and rear wear plates in the pump and maybe the cam plate.

• Like 6

Don't take this as I told you so but now I'm sailing on the open seas the previous owner of my boat drummed it into me to maintain a spares box with one each of anything that could reasonably fail.

Filters, belts, fuses, wire, nuts and bolts and yes, impeller.

Also, I change mine every year and clean the heat exchanger.

Now I know why.

• Like 4

What is the engine by the way? It could be an early Nanni 4190? Or perhaps a Perkins? Later and larger Nannis only have 10 blade impellers instead of 12 blade, to overcome the problem of back pressure in the system.

Remember that you can't compress water. So if there is a constriction somewhere which does not allow the water pumped  by the pump, to flow freely out, this makes a back pressure. The blades of the impeller then don't know which way to bend, so they snap off. Difficult to describe but I hope you understand?

Always change the paper gasket and always coat the impeller and the gasket liberally in water pump grease. This will help to prime the pump when cold starting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I removed and cleaned out our heat exchanger core and oil cooler last year, I found a few furred and slightly blocked tubes and after cleaning them all out it was suprising the difference it made to the normal running temp on the gauge. 

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Glad to know your safely home and the boat is safe. If I'd been on the boat I would have had a spare for that. Exactly the same as mine. I normally replace mine annually and compare it to my previously removed one and keep the best as a get out of jail card spare. Probably best not to do that with your one though! :default_icon_e_surprised: Having just ordered two from ASAP I currently have two brand new ones and a good old spare. Mine is being changed next visit, hence the recent purchase.

I know Brian Ward offer a discount to forum members, but I recently purchase my two from ASAP as they were doing a special offer. Don't know if that is still current. 

• Thanks 1