Potter Heigham Bridge

Cal

After several visits to the Broads with Naughty-Cal the only low bridge we have not yet been under is Potter Heigham. We have just never been there when the water levels have been suitable to get her through.

So I want to ask you guys just what are our chances of getting her through this time when we visit?

The air draft is 6'6" to the top of the screens but the arch folded back sticks up a little bit further then this, although we can fold it forwards and gain a few inches if we have too with a little bit of fiddling around. The boat is 8'2" wide with the bow rails being the widest part, these sit a few inches lower then the screens.

DSC_0959.jpg

potter heigham bridge is always uncertain, when I came down in may the clearance when I went through was 5'11", but recently with this good weather it has been nearer 6'10", there is a current post on the bridge clearance, which explains things a lot better than I could.

your narrower beam is an advantage for potter bridge, and the rivers above the bridge are stunning. 

The only way to know what your boat needs for Potter is to have her offered up to establish exactly what she needs,  From the photograph, my concern would be with both the side screens (unless they either fold or are removable) and then the pulpit/side rails which will be your next highest point at the bridge.

I manage ‘B.A’ through when the pilots gauge states 6ft 5” or more all day long. ‘B.A’ is 6ft4” although I can get her down to 6ft 3” if I take the windscreen off completely ( never had to do that yet) so this time of year with a low tide and high pressure you should be ok. Best ask a pilot to helm for the trip up river then after that - it’s all yours forever. And it’s well worth getting up river of that blasted bridge!

Griff

58 minutes ago, expilot said:

The only way to know what your boat needs for Potter is to have her offered up to establish exactly what she needs,  From the photograph, my concern would be with both the side screens (unless they either fold or are removable) and then the pulpit/side rails which will be your next highest point at the bridge.

The screens do not fold and at £10k a pop for the front curved ones we are keen not to clip the bridge with them !!!

We can wrap the rails at the widest part to stop any damage to them if we knock them. Not so fussed about them.

35 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

I manage ‘B.A’ through when the pilots gauge states 6ft 5” or more all day long. ‘B.A’ is 6ft4” although I can get her down to 6ft 3” if I take the windscreen off completely ( never had to do that yet) so this time of year with a low tide and high pressure you should be ok. Best ask a pilot to helm for the trip up river then after that - it’s all yours forever. And it’s well worth getting up river of that blasted bridge!

Griff

We have been through on the hire boats previously which is why we are so keen to head up with NC. 

Might just have to bite the bullet and go for it if it looks promising :default_sailing:

• Like 1

I recall that there used be a height gauge that swung out into HW boatyard. It had the same profile and height as the bridge arch. I would have been very useful to see if a boat had a chance of getting under.  

My mooring is on Hickling so I know that bridge well. I used to take Nyx under myself but once I got it wrong. Nasty error. Now I usually use the pilot unless the clearance is greater than 6' 4".

I'd stop off at the pilots office if I were you. Unlike Wroxham pilots, Potter pilots do take private boats through.

In my opinion it will likely be your side rails that stop you getting through, though I'm sure Expilot will correct me if I'm wrong. Generally speaking though, I'd be surprised if she will go under except in extreme conditions, and then you run the risk of getting stuck that side.