Somerleyton Bridge Not Operational

well merging two of the ideas mentioned above, how about a roof over the bridge formed from solar panels, the shade will help keep the rails cooler, and the solar power could be used through peltier heat pumps to cool the rails further.

A peltier is a device where you supply it with electricity and it moves heat from one side of the device to the other, as such it can be used for heating and cooling, now depending upon quite how these things work, it could also be used to heat the rails in the winter from those same solar panels to stop the track freezing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Agreed, but whose "shiney @r$ed trousers" should we be going after?

I would assume the M.P.s local to the Norfolk Broads, might perhaps be interested in transport, navigation problems in their area. At a long stretch, they might even have contact with those who can actually get things done...

If the bridge is lifted 4 inches before swinging surly a chamfer joint rather than a butt joint would prevent the rails locking when they expand in the heat, Or is there something else they are not divulging about the heat expansion .John

2 hours ago, kingfisher666 said:

It's 'Network Rails' fault, for not keeping the bridge in working order.

It's the 'Environment agencies' fault, for not allowing cooling water, because of oil pollution fears.

It's the 'Broads Authorities' fault, for not insisting the 'right of navigation' is upheld.

And they're all a government created company/agency/authority. Perhaps, the fault is at the root of the problem and not the branches. Maybe, it's time to go after the people with 'shiney @r$ed' trousers... :10_wink:

Not sure about the logic:

If the bridge worked as has been identified as the root cause and NR responsibility, then:

EA would not have to allow cooling water and BA would not have to insist on the right to navigation.

EA and BA have a reactionary role NR is the cause.

I think the problem is that changing the rails cost Network Rail money. Not changing them and telling the Broads Authority "Tough, the bridge can't open" costs them nothing. Had they had that attitude when commercial shipping was using the river then they would have been paying out left right and centre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveDuk said:

I think the problem is that changing the rails cost Network Rail money. Not changing them and telling the Broads Authority "Tough, the bridge can't open" costs them nothing. Had they had that attitude when commercial shipping was using the river then they would have been paying out left right and centre. 

I really believe that this is root cause of the issue.

I further believe that if financial penalties were to be imposed on NR for non performance, whereby annual replacement of the rails became a lower cost option, then annual rail substitution would become a scheduled event.

This really is beyond a joke, in fact it defiantly stoped me changing our boat a few weeks ago as not  going under this bridge is a bridge to far as we stay down south these days so if you can’t get to Oulton  ,Beccles and back without a lot of hassle it’s not worth it. At 8ft 7  we can get under most of the time without having to get the bridge to open.

My personal view is I think most of the older experienced engineers have gone off into retirement replaced with people who have  not got the hands on experience or common sense to sort these problems out.

John

8 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

replaced with people who have  not got the hands on experience or common sense to sort these problems out.

You mean people with degrees then.....

There's nowt worse than a 'engineer' that has never picked up a spanner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 40something said:

Not sure is this has already been mentioned in the extensive bridge discussions recently but 1.6 million quid was spent on the  bridges in 2010, including replacing the main bearing at Somerleyton. Unfortunately just 8 years later the bearing is 'rocking'

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/historic-broads-swing-bridges-to-undergo-repairs

Too little too late maybe?

The bridges at somerleyton and Reedham could well do with some investment to make them more reliable in the summer months.

We have been going through these bridges with an air draught of ten feet which makes it necessary for the bridges to open for us to get through for the last 12 years. 95% of the time the bridges have opened for us with no problems. On those occasions when the bridges have been unable to open then we have reduced our air draught by removing the canopy and the radar arch and have been able to get through without a problem. 

21 minutes ago, DaveRolaves said:

Does anyone know how many hours in the last year that reedham and somerleyton bridges have not been able to open because of heat expansion of the rails?

I'd add another question or two:

How many have had a journey restricted or had to cancel travel plans due to failure of the bridge/s to open?

What financial implications have resulted from the above?

10 hours ago, Philosophical said:

I really believe that this is root cause of the issue.

I further believe that if financial penalties were to be imposed on NR for non performance, whereby annual replacement of the rails became a lower cost option, then annual rail substitution would become a scheduled event.

I agree 100% Phil.

But while they can fob off the Broads Authority with "Summer rails? Never heard of them" it's not going to happen :(

7 hours ago, 40something said:

Not sure is this has already been mentioned in the extensive bridge discussions recently but 1.6 million quid was spent on the  bridges in 2010, including replacing the main bearing at Somerleyton. Unfortunately just 8 years later the bearing is 'rocking'

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/news/historic-broads-swing-bridges-to-undergo-repairs

Maybe they used Chinese Ebay specials.

This article  quotes JP as saying (re the bridges):

“This inevitably is a considerable problem for our private owners of larger boats that cannot fit underneath.”

What about the hire boats that won't fit under

I really don't think the BA see this as a priority otherwise they would be more forceful with NR.

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

Would windage be a problem or an advantage?

With the wind in the right direction it might swing faster!

On what has been a rather dire forum (sorry association) of late, that made me chuckle.

Fred