Tv Aerial

smitch6

What tv aerial do ppl use on the south broads?

I went into the local chandlers in OB and was told the best 1 for this area is a supergain dvb tiny thing, he said most ppl round OB swear by them.

I can't get a signal off it at geldeston, beccles or Bugh St Peter

5 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi Smitch I find a Ballard works just fine its small a tennis ball on a stick its inconspicuously and doesn't get in the way only dodgy area is Bremerton Brian Ward at Brundle sells them.John

That is what i have

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Glomex-Supergain-Ballade-12v-DVB-Digital-TV-Aerial-Multidirectional/312095374273?epid=1730416747&hash=item48aa557bc1:g:EMMAAOSwC-xauAgr

Hi I have no problem with these area's if my mast blocks the line i then have ghosting ect i just lower  the mast and if a tree  is close and in line of site at this time of the year, have you checked the fuse its only half an amp .John

I think Brian wards sell the Touring Aerial kit, thats where I got mine but it was a few years ago. 

I also went to screwfix and got a 2m lightweight aerial pole and mounted the aerial to that rather than the pole in the kit.

50 minutes ago, annv said:

Hi I have no problem with these area's if my mast blocks the line i then have ghosting ect i just lower  the mast and if a tree  is close and in line of site at this time of the year, have you checked the fuse its only half an amp .John

yes fuse ok

We use one of these, on a pole, no booster and not found anywhere it doesn't get a signal.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-mini-compact-log-periodic-aerial/67576
No aerial will work with trees, buildings and hill sides in the way. Height is what is required. The longest poorhouse can safely use is what's required..

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

17 hours ago, smitch6 said:

We have one of these, It's never quite worked anywhere on the northern broads. I was trying to make it work and broke the cable out the end.  Had to take it apart to fix it and inside it's the most poorly built thing I've ever seen (and starting to know a little about electronics), the 360 thing is a crude bit of copper sheet that is only really workable at 180 degrees. Either with a powered booster it was crap, yet to try it since I fixed it. Although from our experience I wouldn't recommend one to anyone.

• Like 1

The mounting is for roof fixing if you mounted it sideways it could slip out as it just slides into the roof mounting. I haven't tried it on its side all though we do remove it to the deck when negating low bridges, not sure if it still works as iam steering,it certainly works ok when sailing along, in tennis season. John

Hi Snitch I tried the Ballard one from Brian Wards they kindly said that if it didn't work I could return it. After connecting it up and wandering around the deck with it like an Olympic torch I couldn't get a signal in Brundall. I now have a small house type aerial without a booster and it works great although I sometimes have to turn it to find a signal depending where I am moored

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1