Somerleyton Bridge Not Operational

Dear all,

We have just been informed by Network Rail that Somerleyton Swing Bridge is currently not operational until further notice due to the high temperatures.

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

Digital Communications Officer

Tel: +44 (0) 1603 756034

Mob: +44 (0) 7769 696117

Twitter: @BroadsAuth

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

Will any businesses set the bar and make a claim against Network Rail for loss of revenue?

Its surely affecting the WRC, Oulton Broad & Beccles for mooring fees at the very least not to mention pubs & shops etc who will no doubt not be getting the business. 

I wonder how many large boat owners/hirers just havent bothered with visits this year as a result of it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Will any businesses set the bar and make a claim against Network Rail for loss of revenue?

Its surely affecting the WRC, Oulton Broad & Beccles for mooring fees at the very least not to mention pubs & shops etc who will no doubt not be getting the business. 

I wonder how many large boat owners/hirers just havent bothered with visits this year as a result of it.

The hard bit would be proving the lost revenue.

59 minutes ago, quo vadis said:

Must be nearly time for Alan (Ranworth Breeze) to make a post on this subject :default_eusa_naughty:

Just to please.

I have had no notifications up to now for today, but looking on the Broads Authority website, it says that Somerleyton & Reedham bridges are now operational. I did not know that there had been an issue at Reedham. Nominally there is 10 foot airdraft at high tide so this bridge does not cause as much problems as Somerleyton.

Regards

Alan

I have just been informed again that Somerleyton is none operational.

Dear all,

We have just been informed by Network Rail that Somerleyton Swing Bridge is currently not operational until further notice due to the high temperatures (06 July).

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

01603 610734

20 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I have just been informed again that Somerleyton is none operational.

Dear all,

We have just been informed by Network Rail that Somerleyton Swing Bridge is currently not operational until further notice due to the high temperatures (06 July).

Kind regards,

Tom

Tom Waterfall

01603 610734

Ah Ha Gotcha! :default_eusa_naughty:

27 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

A large boat owner ought to halt midstream and drop a mudweight in protest next time it opens......

I would volunteer, but I'm only 8 1/2 stone, soaking wet. Anyone a bit larger, willing to have a go?... :10_wink:

Still wondering what gets stuck on the bridge itself. If it's the rails surely they can realign the rails in summer to allow fior the gap

If it's the bridge itself swelling grind a bit off

1 minute ago, FairTmiddlin said:

Still wondering what gets stuck on the bridge itself. If it's the rails surely they can realign the rails in summer to allow fior the gap

If it's the bridge itself swelling grind a bit off

Why grind a bit off that will have to be replaced in the winter when the gap is too big?

There are some shorter summer rails lying in the grass somewhere close by that already have a bit ground off.......all it needs is for NR to substitute these rails during the summer months.

I suppose it is possible that one of the piers has sunk into the marshland/ river slightly lopsided causing the bridges tolerances to go off slightly. I cannot see the victorians not allowing enough tolerance for expansion.

4 hours ago, FairTmiddlin said:

I suppose it is possible that one of the piers has sunk into the marshland/ river slightly lopsided causing the bridges tolerances to go off slightly. I cannot see the victorians not allowing enough tolerance for expansion.

I think it more likely that the summer rails have sunk into the marshland

9 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

There are reports that a boat has hit Somerleyton Bridge today and that the bridge is closed to rail traffic. No details yet unless anyone knows what happened.

Maybe this will give NR and Greater Anglia the opportunity to evaluate just how much better and cost effective a bus service would be, so they could scrap the swing bridges altogether.