Night Navigation.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Mr Q sir, it's tree lined narrow waters where I believe I need light, not the wide reeded areas where the three rivers take place..

Not so many trees but the section between Martham And Heigham sound, or the river Ant WIDE?

9 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Could I also ask if night vision is detailed enough on an overcast moonless night to see the navigation posts and buoys on Hickling broad? to get from say the Pleasure boat inn to Catfield staithe?

Short answer - yes

Long answer - If properly prepared with intact night vision (see Grendel's description about astronomers) this should be perfectly possible in the conditions you describe if done slowly and some prat doesn't shine a bright white light anywhere close to your direction!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnm said:

Short answer - yes

Long answer - If properly prepared with intact night vision (see Grendel's description about astronomers) this should be perfectly possible in the conditions you describe if done slowly and some prat doesn't shine a bright white light anywhere close to your direction!

Undeniably true but that's provided the cabin lights are off and dashboard lights are masked. Last summer I witnessed a small US built sports cruiser go by in the early hours with its cockpit aglow with a mass of blue illuminated dials and the like, hardly helpful!