Connoisseur

2 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Oh good then perhaps we can get back on track.

Surely the interest level on a forum is generated by the discussion provoked by points being made? This obsession with "thread discipline" is alien to wide ranging discussion and discourages contributions. Cal is a relative newcomer and is hardly going to feel encouraged by this sort of comment. In this instance, the variation ran from comments made about the state of readiness on takeover of boats.

I really don't see a problem and appreciate the contributions made.

7 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Surely the interest level on a forum is generated by the discussion provoked by points being made? This obsession with "thread discipline" is alien to wide ranging discussion and discourages contributions. Cal is a relative newcomer and is hardly going to feel encouraged by this sort of comment. In this instance, the variation ran from comments made about the state of readiness on takeover of boats.

I really don't see a problem and appreciate the contributions made.

Another thread killed by over moderation

Apologies if this is off topic but given the debate after I mentioned about running the engine to start the heating, I feel that I should qualify this statement.

It wasn't Herbert Woods or Richardson's, which I am only stating because they have been mentioned many times here. It was in October and we were cruising so that we were running the engine for at least the prescribed three hours per day. The batteries were fine in the evening but by the morning we could see less than 12 volts and had been warned on handover that we may have to run the engine for a few minutes before starting the heating. Once the heating was started we didn't need to leave the engine on. We made sure it was after 7am - we felt that was reasonable. And we only ran the engine for a few minutes.

• Like 1

Hi, 

I have to agree with Robin on this one. I believe Herbert Woods under the new ownership since 2009 have done a lot to turn the yard round. New websites, glossy brochures, new quayheadings, rebuilt the Fairmile shed and reception, and upgrade the toilet/shower block they were also one of the first yards to introduce auto inflate life jackets, smoke alarms. Carbon monoxide detectors. Can I also say the staff are generally excellent too. They also introduced goody bags and priority boarding for their Elite boats and all of these things were done ahead of the main competitor Richardson's who has followed with similar ideas. The one thing that Richardson's did a lot better was invest in the boats themselves whilst Woods have built 11 new cruisers and are in the process of building 10 new day cruisers the classic fleet seems to have had limited investment over the years.

On the specific subject of the Connorsieur they have upgraded 8 of them Silver Light, Emerald Light and one other class.They have added Led lighting, new electrics shore power, new flooring Bow thrusters and new repositioned heating , its a shame they haven't done the rest but then I suppose there is only so much money to go around.

Neil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

We hire the same Richardson’s Classic every year. It has had a total interior re fit, a new engine, and every year since we have have been hiring her something new to surprise us when we arrive (240v, microwave, new cooker etc).

We keep dreaming we will treat ourself to one of the new ones, but when comparing the interiors... there’s not enough difference to justify the jump in cost!

Always immaculately clean and tidy.

Dated on the outside, yes... but we can’t see that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We hire the same Richardson’s Classic every year. It has had a total interior re fit, a new engine, and every year since we have have been hiring her something new to surprise us when we arrive (240v, microwave, new cooker etc).

We keep dreaming we will treat ourself to one of the new ones, but when comparing the interiors... there’s not enough difference to justify the jump in cost!

Always immaculately clean and tidy.

Dated on the outside, yes... but we can’t see that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network
Which boat do you hire, Bexs?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

On 12/07/2018 at 11:22, BroadAmbition said:

We hire from HW’s every year and find them to be top notch with customer care. Yes the Jewels are past their  best but they are far from new and are not marketed as 5 star boats. We like them and their fleet

Griff

We were very impressed, first time going with Herbert Woods this year on Jewel of Light. Yes old boat and a little basic but clean and tidy. Great layout on the boat. Prompt and polite service from the yard and clean toilets and showers at the yard aswell.

• Like 3