St.benet's Annual Service 5th August 2018

St. Benet’s Abbey Annual Service – Sunday 5 August 2018

Broads Authority 24hr moorings, St. Benet’s Abbey

Due to  demand from a number of organisations and commercial operators the Broads Authority will not be able to reserve mooring space for the St Benet’s Bishops Service this year.  To accommodate vessels taking people to the event by boat we will set up a drop off area.  This will be open from 11am on the day of the service and will be open for everyone to use. Vessels will be able to come in and have time to safely unload their passengers.  Rangers will be on site to assist with this and to monitor use. Once unloaded vessels will then have to depart the mooring and find a safe place to wait.  The picking up of customers will be done in the same way.

The remainder of the 24 hour mooring will be operating as normal on a first come, first serve basis.  Reserving of the moorings by signs or otherwise will not be permitted.

Lucy Burchnall

Head of Ranger Services

______ 

Kind Regards 

Laura Milner

Administrative Officer Operations

Broads Authority

Tel: 01603 756035  

Broads Authority, Yare House, 62-64 Thorpe Road. Norwich NR1 1RY
01603 610734
www.broads-authority.gov.uk

A pity the moorings now have to be regimented, as we used to just all turn up and stick our rhond hooks in the bank, but for those who are on the rivers that day, it is a colourful event and worth a visit.

It was King Canute who first appointed Bishop NYX (there's a name I've heard before) of Norwich, to be the Abbot of St Benets-at-Holme and Norwich. Holme is the island in the marshes upon which the Abbey was built.

The Bishop of Norwich has always retained this title and returns each year to hold a service on the site. He is brought from Horning Vicarage standing on the foredeck of a Norfolk Wherry, under sail, and returned there afterwards.

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

A pity the moorings now have to be regimented, as we used to just all turn up and stick our rhond hooks in the bank - - - - - - - - 

How true, all bow to the shore, fenders doing their job, sterns swinging to the tide, all very neighbourly, where was the problem?!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

Unique as Abbot is RC and Bishop is Anglican. I think.

It seems the abbey was a Saxon monastry, from 800AD and was destroyed by the Danes in around 870 during the Danelaw. The Danish king Knut (Canute) refounded it as a Benedictine monastery in 1019 and this was when he appointed bishop NYX of Norwich as abbot.

The abbey seemed to have owned a large part of the Broads in those days but Henry VIII took it all back in fifteen thirty something when he dissolved the monasteries. It seems he allowed the Bishop of Norwich to retain the title to the Abbey, so it was not dissolved at that time.

14 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Unique as Abbot is RC and Bishop is Anglican. I think.

There are Anglican religious orders, not as numerous, but they are still in existence.

13 hours ago, Vaughan said:

The Danish king Knut (Canute)

That would be the 'English King' Cnut, Vaughan. The second king of 'all England' after his father Sweyn Forkbeard being the first. Both declared Kings of all England in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire at the Danish Camp just a few hundred yards from my house. Should I take the camera up there for some footage...part of the St.Benets story?

img002.thumb.jpg.3b740d13a50dfb001d321489110b8c73.jpg

Sorry about the quality but it's an old transparency!

This is the Bishop of Norwich being brought back from St Benets on the pleasure wherry Solace, in 1961.

I notice she is wearing the burgee and ensign of the RNSYC. On special occasions such as the open day of Wroxham regatta, she would wear the white ensign, as her owner, John Rudd, was a member of the Royal Yacht Squadron.

• Like 2

Vaughan, with a little attention it's quite clear that the quality is nothing to apologize for. However, next time that you do a spot of hoovering remember to click the suck rather than the blow button. That's a disreputable amount of dust that you have on your slides!

St Benets.jpg

It was not my slide it was my mummy's and she took the photo.

I did give it a quick wipe but I had a horrible feeling I was going to make it worse! At least Susie managed to persuade our scanner to reproduce transparencies. First time we have tried that!

59 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

It was not my slide it was my mummy's and she took the photo.

I did give it a quick wipe but I had a horrible feeling I was going to make it worse! At least Susie managed to persuade our scanner to reproduce transparencies. First time we have tried that!

Hope to see and enjoy hundreds more! Your mum obviously had a good eye for a picture.

By the way, a soft water-colour brush as well a good blast of dry air is as good a way to clean a slide as any.

• Thanks 1

You people are weird taking photos whilst on a slide.

My tip on cleaning a slide for what it's worth is, do not apply any Pledge or Mr Sheen (other polish brands are available) along it's length.

Whilst it does give hilarious results for lads to whizz along on, for the unsuspecting users that follow the 10 feet of continued sliding along the gravel after leaving said polished slide followed by the sudden stop and smashing of head on the decorative concrete floor doesn't lead to a happy camper.

Now if you also happen to be standing in close proximity laughing uncontrollably at the unfortunate individual, it would appear this does nothing to ease the individuals distress, some might say they become somewhat aggressive :default_rofl:

:default_beerchug:

• 3 weeks later...

I was rather amused by this ‘drop off point’ issue. Southern Comfort arrived at the 24 hour moorings about 2pm, a big sign saying ‘drop off point’ was on the bank right at the abbey end and the paddle steamer duly pulled up there and disgorged its passengers. There it stayed until the service was over and they all got back on again. Bear in mind the service was at 3.30pm so it was probably 4.30-5.00pm before it got away again. That’s a long drop off! 

• Like 1