Normal For N...

Timbo

I've just had a conversation with a 'mythologist'. Someone who studies myths and legends. During our conversation about 'boats and the Norfolk Broads', I said the phrase 'Normal for Norfolk' and got an interesting reply on where the phrase originates.

There's been a bit of blather put around about 'Doctors in the 17th Century and patients unable to describe symptoms' but my friend pointed out a commonality of areas like Norfolk and those similar around the world.
"It's peat!" exclaimed the mythologist.
"It's more than one bloke!"
"No it's burning peat as a fuel. In regions around the globe from South America, Indonesia, Scandinavia and Ireland wherever they burn peat you will find the people are considered to be slow or a little stupid by their neighbours who use other fuels. Peat burning is smokey and the peat sometimes gives off ethylene which can bring on hallucinations.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I've just had a conversation with a 'mythologist'. Someone who studies myths and legends. During our conversation about 'boats and the Norfolk Broads', I said the phrase 'Normal for Norfolk' and got an interesting reply on where the phrase originates.

There's been a bit of blather put around about 'Doctors in the 17th Century and patients unable to describe symptoms' but my friend pointed out a commonality of areas like Norfolk and those similar around the world.
"It's peat!" exclaimed the mythologist.
"It's more than one bloke!"
"No it's burning peat as a fuel. In regions around the globe from South America, Indonesia, Scandinavia and Ireland wherever they burn peat you will find the people are considered to be slow or a little stupid by their neighbours who use other fuels. Peat burning is smokey and the peat sometimes gives off ethylene which can bring on hallucinations.

Peaty areas are also known for distilling non QC hard liquor another damager of brain cells.

39 minutes ago, Timbo said:

Ah, that might have explained a few things... Only, we never burned peat in coastal Essex, coal from the Yorkshire coalfields and then 'natural gas' from beneath the North Sea.  Though, I may have been in contact with other 'smokey' substances, during my life, which may or may not, have had a bearing on my speed (and quality) of thought... :35_thinking:

There was a programme on bbc last year about a farm in north norfolk. It was called "normal for norfolk". The farmers mother died very recently and her obit. was in the Telegraph. She was about 102. Anyway the farmer had said that he understood doctors wrote this when they felt inbreeding had occurred. I promise you it wasn't me it was a norfolk resident.

• Like 1

That sound ter me loik a roit load of old "squit".

Hint you never bin out on Barton Broad of a night, lookin' arter hearin' them there Buttles a' boomin on, an all that old marsh gas come bubblin' out from outa the lilies? That doont dew yer ner harm at awl, but thass best yew doont go stroikin a match!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well over fifty years ago now a very wise Harry Last, then landlord of Coldham Hall, when it was a legendary spit & sawdust pub,  warned me that after a few pints of Bullards mild (one up from ullage),  a handful of arrowroot biscuits, a couple of pickled eggs and a Mars Bar then 'thaass bess yew dun't stroik a maatch'!!  Notice the subtle difference between Norfolk & Suffolk. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, johnb said:

There was a programme on bbc last year about a farm in north norfolk. It was called "normal for norfolk". The farmers mother died very recently and her obit. was in the Telegraph. She was about 102. Anyway the farmer had said that he understood doctors wrote this when they felt inbreeding had occurred. I promise you it wasn't me it was a norfolk resident.

Des MacCarthy is the epitomy of NFN. Lovely guy and his asparagus is always some of the first around here and he over charges massively for it. I say the epitomy of NFN because he is quite frankly as mad as a box load of frogs. A lot written of Ancestral Home but I think his father and mother bought it post WWII. Not sure if the family is Norfolk through and through.

Welcome back Pops. 

Yarmouth Girl jokes anyone? 

Years ago I studied graphics and illustration at Lincoln Art College. The good folk of Lincoln soon picked up on my use of the English language, namely the word bastard! Me being from Suffolk would say a drawn out 'baar-stid', them being from Lincolnshire would use an abbreviated, acute 'bass-tid. For whatever reason they though it highly amusing!