Where Can We Moor At Wroxham

Karen

2 hours ago, SteveDuk said:

We decided, last time we were there, that if Wroxham didn't want to provide public moorings they obviously didn't want us to spend our money there.

At the spring meet on the Saturday morning we suddenly realised that we had not brought any lemons for our midday gin and tonic! 

So we set off to Wroxham to charge the batteries, and buy some. Couldn't moor in the boatyards as it was Saturday morning, couldn't get under the bridge as the boat was too high but there was plenty of room outside the Hotel Wroxham. Some chap came out to see what we wanted and we explained that one of us was just going to nip into Roys for some shopping while the rest of us would like to come in for a couple of drinks in the bar. The answer was "Well she'll still charge you ten Quid".

So they didn't get their 10 Quid and they didn't get whatever 6 glasses of wine would have cost. We did get the lemons though - the pilot let us stop on the staithe for half an hour!

• Like 10

Welcome Karen!

I think everyone has pretty much covered the answer to your question. Whilst we enjoy the cruise into Wroxham if we have hired from a yard elsewhere, we rarely try to moor there. There are other easier places to stop and pick up a bit of shopping if you need it. And we prefer quieter moorings away from the roads. 

Is there something particular that you wanted to stop in Wroxham for or is it just one of those places that so many people talk about and you wanted to see?

Hi, Karen... Welcome to the Norfolk Broads and to the N.B.N. forums.

Anyway, as has been said, if you take the 'bridge pilot' through Wroxham bridge (information, in your boat hire pack) the B.A.s 'Viaduct Moorings' are free, easy and always available and the shops/pub/takeaways in Hoveton (Wroxham) are just a short walk away.

The best bit is... Now, you're on that side of the bridge, you now have probably the prettiest stretch of the River Bure to explore. The water from here up to Coltishall lock, is gin clear and kingfishers abound. There are grassy moorings to be had at 'Coltishall Common' and just before the disused lock, a further half mile upstream. Both lovely places to moor and ideal for kids (and/or dogs) to burn some energy off. There are shops in the village, a short walk away and several pubs too. A holiday on the Norfolk Broads, without cruising upstream from Wroxham past Belaugh to Coltishall, would be a sad miss, in my opinion. :12_slight_smile:

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

So they didn't get their 10 Quid and they didn't get whatever 6 glasses of wine would have cost. We did get the lemons though - the pilot let us stop on the staithe for half an hour!

The Moorings are not the Bridge pilots to let you stay on, they are council / parish owned for the picking of the bridge pilots and the dismasting / re-masting of yachts..

23 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Some chap came out to see what we wanted and we explained that one of us was just going to nip into Roys for some shopping while the rest of us would like to come in for a couple of drinks in the bar. The answer was "Well she'll still charge you ten Quid".

They are getting very keen. We used to tie up there for a few minutes in winter while I nipped over to Faircraft Loynes yard to see if there was a space. Last couple of times Mrs Nog's feet have barely touched the decking before they are out. They were quite sniffy with us last time. In future I'll just go straight into Faircraft Loynes yard. We've yet to fail to find a space in there, often the bit near the crane is a good bet.

I suppose in fairness the section outside the hotel is a prime mooring but they could show a bit of flexibility.

At the spring meet on the Saturday morning we suddenly realised that we had not brought any lemons for our midday gin and tonic! 
 So we set off to Wroxham to charge the batteries, and buy some. Couldn't moor in the boatyards as it was Saturday morning, couldn't get under the bridge as the boat was too high but there was plenty of room outside the Hotel Wroxham. Some chap came out to see what we wanted and we explained that one of us was just going to nip into Roys for some shopping while the rest of us would like to come in for a couple of drinks in the bar. The answer was "Well she'll still charge you ten Quid".

£10! Wow that’s extremely extortion Thankyou for telling us,my first holiday since 1987 being sept 2019 I won’t be mooring up their that’s for sure I,ll have my first beers in Wroxham on my boat and heading proberly left from the yard and moor up on he hoverton trails for the night.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi, Karen... Welcome to the Norfolk Broads and to the N.B.N. forums.
Anyway, as has been said, if you take the 'bridge pilot' through Wroxham bridge (information, in your boat hire pack) the B.A.s 'Viaduct Moorings' are free, easy and always available and the shops/pub/takeaways in Hoveton (Wroxham) are just a short walk away.
The best bit is... Now, you're on that side of the bridge, you now have probably the prettiest stretch of the River Bure to explore. The water from here up to Coltishall lock, is gin clear and kingfishers abound. There are grassy moorings to be had at 'Coltishall Common' and just before the disused lock, a further half mile upstream. Both lovely places to moor and ideal for kids (and/or dogs) to burn some energy off. There are shops in the village, a short walk away and several pubs too. A holiday on the Norfolk Broads, without cruising upstream from Wroxham past Belaugh to Coltishall, would be a sad miss, in my opinion. :12_slight_smile:

I agree from Wroxham to Coltishall is a lovely cruise and Belaugh s beautiful and quiet to moor up big enough for just two boats so quiet so peaceful,then a gentle cruise to Coltishall ahh! We will be doing that next sept.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app