Heatwave, I Wish It Would Cool Down And Rain Soon.

Hi all,

I know we all crave sunny weather in the spring summer and autumn, but i can`t be the only one who is suffering from all this heat?.

I`ve never really been a sun worshiper, but i do like to have a summer, but this continuous hot weather is really doing me in. Since this weather started,  i`ve been feeling the effects, and sometimes have felt quite ill. Add to that, our garden is really in a bad way, with our front and rear lawns being a light beige colour all over, and i`m getting concerned whether they will actually recover. I`ve also not been sleeping that well, and have at times not been able to sleep at all due to the heat, not good when you have to work all day, as i`m still a few years away from retirement. It`s also been too hot to ride the bike, as i will never go out on her without ALL the protective kit.  It`s also a real pain that, although elsewhere in the country, people have at times had plenty of rain, down here on the south coast, we have`nt had any serious rainfalls since about late March.  We`ve had on several occaisions, plenty of very dark heavy threatening cloud, but all to no avail.

I really do hope we have a few weeks of rain soon, as i`m really struggling with this dry and continuous heat,  am i the only one, or is there anybody else out there feeling the same way?.

• Like 4

I love this weather, I never get fed up with waking, to find the sun shining and it's another beautiful, blue sky day. After what seemed like an eternity ('beast from the east' included), our long winter finally ended and it's just lovely to get a real summer for a change. You can spend lots of time 'out & about' and everyone seems so much happier, while the sun shines. I realise, not everyone likes this gorgeous weather, but make the most of it while you can, because winter and it's cold dark days, will be here again before you know it... :11_blush:

It's been a scorcher up here in Leeds today as well and my lawn is brown in patches also. But don't worry about the grass, it will recover as soon as it gets some sustained rainfall. Regarding sleeping at night, I have a pedestal fan in the room on a timer which turns itself off after a few hours, when hopefully I have fallen asleep. It is very effective. 

As Kingfisher666 says, this weather will soon be gone and we will all be looking at up to six months of winter darkness and cold, so perhaps now is the time to appreciate the warm temperatures. Us Brits don't half moan. When it's hot we want it cooler and when it's cold we can't wait for the summer to arrive. Won't be long before we are having four seasons in one day again!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave I've logged it at 29.2c in Churwell (& your not far from me) and high of 29.8 last week. I've had to upgrade the weather station so only been back online a week.

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=ICHURWEL6#history/s20180715/e20180715/mdaily

Can't wait for the calls tomorrow from our call centers where the chiller plants have issues.

Downside of a bungalow you can't leave windows open over night due to light fingered visitors on the prowl.

• Like 1

Speedtriple I know what you mean. Essex has had no rain in a very long time. Everywhere is parched and brown. The garden is only getting minimal watering for the plants that really need it and the car's not getting washed either!

It is hard when you've still got to work every day and sleeping is difficult - I'm the same. Usually I would happily walk into work a couple of times a week but now it's the bus if I haven't got the car. Also wearing usual clothes to work means you swelter whenever you're outside - we should have declared every day a "dress down" day ages ago but that is never going to happen where I work. It would be ok if the aircon worked efficiently in the office but ... it doesn't!

Getting up to Lowestoft at the weekends has been my saviour. Still parched and brown everywhere but often as much as ten degrees cooler on the east coast there than it has been at home. If only it was close enough to commute, I would be living there right now.

• Like 2

I agree with Neil. it's been far too hot for me too, Working, looking after two kids can be exhausting in this heat. Trying to sleep at night can be awful too. I was chatting to another Mum at the school gates only the other day, sweating buckets when she said how glorious the weather was, nah I said, bring on Autumn and Winter at least you can get warm but you can't escape this heat, she looked at me like I had two heads or something

Now lying on a boat with a glass of wine in hand sunning myself in this heat is a whole new ball game, that I can handle :default_biggrin:

Grace

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Having just spent the weekend with the chaps and chapesses working in the close confines of Royal Tudor where we discovered that we'd all got armpits...just before emptying the old toilet and cutting it up to get it out of the compartment I still don't know what the fuss is about regarding the heat?

OK so I've spent most of my working life digging holes in the desert...and yes I did wake up in the tent 4: am Saturday morning and go and put a jumper on because I was cold...but here are a few tips to cool you down

• Turn off your computers, lights...anything that generates heat at night.
  • Soak a bed sheet in the bath and hang it at your open window as a curtain.
  • Cotton sheets on your bed.
  • Hot shower followed by a cold shower before bed.
  • A summer fragrance at your pulse points cools you down and 'de armpits' you!
  • Drink water before bed.
  • Pop a wet flannel in the freezer and put it in a bow in front of your bedside fan.

And my personal favourite cooling system. Buy a terracotta pot that will hold cold water. Drill a tiny hole in the base of it, fill it with water and hang it in your shower. The dripping water will be a bit annoying until you get used to it BUT it will act as a cheap and cheerful air conditioning unit and drop the temperature by several degrees.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Was grit-blasting yesterday and the car looked like it had been on the Paris-Dakar. Thought I'd stop at a jetwash on the way into work today, to find them both closed - out of water / restricted I wonder  ? ( the one on the Coltishall road as you leave Norwich )

Earlier, I had that wonderful feeling I get, as I walk from the air conditioned railway station at Saint Raphael, out into the lovely Mediterranean summer warmth. Only this time, I was walking out of Sainsburys, into the car park... Illusion shattered!... :43_slight_frown:

We spent yesterday at the Household Cavalry summer camp near Thetford - folk were dropping like flies, keeping the medics very busy. The car said it was 31' at 5 o'clock. Huge respect to the guys doing the musical ride in full parade uniform! (And the hosses,of course!)

• Like 1

It was far too hot yesterday on the boat. We can usually keep a nice breeze blowing through by keeping the hatches open but nothing. Not even a hint of breeze. Made for a difficult night's sleep. Well that and the million and one insect bites I got on Saturday evening which decided to itch like crazy every time I moved. :default_sad:

20180715_172328.jpg

• Like 1

The dogs are really feeling it. I recently purchased two chillaxe cool mats for them, in theory they lie on them and the mats reduce their temperature. The problem is persuading them to lie on the darn things! I resorted earlier to wet towels for them, they certainly worked. There doesn’t  seem to be much breeze around now so even with the boat doors, roof and windows open it is still pretty stifling. 

I`m glad it IS`NT just me.  One thing Lightning suffers from is small window openings, so the cabins will be as hot as toast, so thank god we went when we did. Come to think of it, we actually had a a few spits, and i mean, A FEW SPITS of rain at WRC on the wednesday night when we were up 4 weeks back,  and that was all the rain we`ve seen for around 5-6 months.  I`ve always preferred to holiday in April - June, and September / October because of the cooler more comfortable weather, the only down down side is losing daylight hours, however, now we have a share in Lightning, we can cruise when it`s dark, though that`s something i`ve not done yet. This weather will eventually break, and when it does, i`l be the first to cheer. The only thing i hope is that it does`nt end with an almightly storm, as when we had that last year, we got struck, and suffered some damage to our home.

As for ALL that love this type of weather, ENJOY................

39 minutes ago, vanessan said:

The dogs are really feeling it. I recently purchased two chillaxe cool mats for them, in theory they lie on them and the mats reduce their temperature. The problem is persuading them to lie on the darn things! I resorted earlier to wet towels for them, they certainly worked.

I used to do the 'wet towel' thing, with my Cocker Spaniel Toby. It works, because they can feel the cooling effect almost instantly, so there's no 'arguments' when you lay the towel over them. I used to put a couple of cool box ice packs under his bedding too, but usually they got found pretty quickly and unceremoniously thrown out (ungrateful little bugger). :6_smile:

I'm quite lucky, or the beagles are quite lucky, that I have a wet room. Every so often I just turn the shower on and spray the floor with cold water and the soggy doggies stretch out on the cold floor.

• Haha 1