Heatwave, I Wish It Would Cool Down And Rain Soon.

36 minutes ago, Timbo said:

I'm quite lucky, or the beagles are quite lucky, that I have a wet room. Every so often I just turn the shower on and spray the floor with cold water and the soggy doggies stretch out on the cold floor.

Good solution at home, but when you're on board a boat, or perhaps camping, you'll need to be a little more resourceful, to keep old 'fido' cool & happy... :12_slight_smile:

12 minutes ago, kingfisher666 said:

Good solution at home, but when you're on board a boat, or perhaps camping, you'll need to be a little more resourceful, to keep old 'fido' cool & happy... :12_slight_smile:

I got a wet room on the boat too! Shower onto the nice cold floor that then runs into the bilge, until Doug gets his way and puts in a shower tray!

For my old lad Sammy the border/lakeland cross while we were under canvas in Greece and Bahrain for months at a time...3/4" ply with both sides covered in ceramic tiles. Ever notice how the tiles are always cool to touch in your bathroom? Works a treat! It's also how I store fragrances perched on top of a ceramic tile. Sam was also partial to frozen pomegranate lollies in the souk. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I`m glad it IS`NT just me.  One thing Lightning suffers from is small window openings, so the cabins will be as hot as toast, so thank god we went when we did. Come to think of it, we actually had a a few spits, and i mean, A FEW SPITS of rain at WRC on the wednesday night when we were up 4 weeks back,  and that was all the rain we`ve seen for around 5-6 months.  I`ve always preferred to holiday in April - June, and September / October because of the cooler more comfortable weather, the only down down side is losing daylight hours, however, now we have a share in Lightning, we can cruise when it`s dark, though that`s something i`ve not done yet. This weather will eventually break, and when it does, i`l be the first to cheer. The only thing i hope is that it does`nt end with an almightly storm, as when we had that last year, we got struck, and suffered some damage to our home.

As for ALL that love this type of weather, ENJOY................

Neil, must admit l'm not happy in this sort of heat, but we've not been too bad on Lightning. We're just into our second week. We sleep in the front cabin and as you know the window openings are really tiny. I've kept it cool(ish) by opening the Houdini and leaving the cabin door open to create an airflow while travelling. Admittedly a bit warm at night as we have to rely on what bit of breeze comes through the tiny hopper windows (Chris won't have the Houdini open overnight - she's not keen on flying bugs etc).

• Like 2

I am loving it, it reminds me of the great heat of 76. ( which tv show am I thinking about?) The lawn looks like sand from a distance but it will recover, not the back one though. Max the dog has taken the opportunity to dig for water in that lawn. Chill and enjoy the ride, it may be another twenty years before the next summer that lasts more than a weekend!

• Like 4

I didn't used to handle the heat well but since I had a heart attack a few years ago I've been taking blood thinners and all I can say about the sunny weather is bring it on.

The downside is that I feel the cold like never before and the slightest sign of a frost and I'm wrapped up like an eskimo. :)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, vanessan said:

The dogs are really feeling it. I recently purchased two chillaxe cool mats for them, in theory they lie on them and the mats reduce their temperature. The problem is persuading them to lie on the darn things! I resorted earlier to wet towels for them, they certainly worked. There doesn’t  seem to be much breeze around now so even with the boat doors, roof and windows open it is still pretty stifling. 

Sydney was feeling it this weekend. He hasn''t been too bad so far but over the weekend there wasn't even a breeze to keep things a bit cooler. We ended up taking him swimming a few times (and he fell in a couple of times we think on purpose to cool off!)

20180715_131544.jpg

20180715_131548.jpg

20180715_132208.jpg

We were tempted to get in with him and cool off ourselves.

Mind you the thermometer on the boat was telling us that the water temperature was 26 degrees so that wouldn't even had felt cool!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, webntweb said:

Neil, must admit l'm not happy in this sort of heat, but we've not been too bad on Lightning. We're just into our second week. We sleep in the front cabin and as you know the window openings are really tiny. I've kept it cool(ish) by opening the Houdini and leaving the cabin door open to create an airflow while travelling. Admittedly a bit warm at night as we have to rely on what bit of breeze comes through the tiny hopper windows (Chris won't have the Houdini open overnight - she's not keen on flying bugs etc).

We find that our cabin tends to keep a little cooler as it only has a couple of small windows so keeps nice and shaded. Was still too hot to sleep comfortably on Sunday evening though. We had both hatches open and the door cracked open a little which is usually enough to induce a bit of a through draft but nothing.

YEEEEHHAAAAAAA, it`s considerably cooler tonight, and i`m hoping it stays cool. Last night was lovely and cool, so i left the bedroom windows open, and around 10.00pm, the bedroom was actually a bit on the fresh side, with all the cold air blowing in. Then Karen closed one window, and closed the curtains, result, the bloody place warmed up again. Here`s hoping for a cooler night, and a better nights sleep tonight.

I thought it was going to be cooler but it still felt as warm as ever upstairs.The only downside to backing onto the railway is the freight trains at 3am if you leave the windows open!!

No rain here in Essex yet but the BBC forecast seems to think that there might be some on Friday.

It was noticeably cooler in Sheffield last night and this morning. The thermometer in the car was reading 17 degrees this morning at 7am as we drove into work, which is the coolest we have seen for a few weeks.

We both slept a bit better last night.

Essex is certainly living up to its desert-like self at the moment. 

Our car went in for a service on Monday - we hadn't washed it for a while because we knew they would!

You get used to being careful with water when out on a boat because you've only got what it is the tank. Now we're being careful with water at home as well ... in case it runs out!!

2 hours ago, Matt said:

There is a possibility that we haven’t seen anything yet....

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

We usually bring good weather with us to Norfolk but that is getting ridiculous :default_blink:

Its been stifling hot here in Lowestoft.  Its not to bad during the day whilst at home as we have an aircon unit in the front room but come the evening some idiot in our vicinity keeps having a fire and the smell of burning drifts in so we are forced to close the windows which is fantastic in this weather.

Its been going on and off for well over a year now, most nights of the week around 8pm the air turns thick with the smell of burning, I have walked round and driven around but I just cant pin point who the culprit is.

28 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Its been stifling hot here in Lowestoft. 

We've been enjoying getting up to Lowestoft at the weekends as it's  much cooler than here in Essex where it is stiflingly hot! Fortunately I work in an air conditioned office where my car is parked in an underground car park!

• Like 1