Heatwave, I Wish It Would Cool Down And Rain Soon.

41 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I am off to Hungary tomorrow for 5 nights,  it is only 30 degrees and thunderstorms there so should feel cooler :default_biggrin:

It don't work Mark. Trust me, I only ate half me fish and chips this evening, I'm still hot and Hungry!

• Haha 1

I really am far more comfy on a dull damp day than a hot sunny day - but will take the heat to a point.  In London the difference between Norfolk is stark especially at night. In the countryside the sun sets and as the evening wears on the temperature falls right back - if it was say 29c in the day, overnight may be 15c.

As I write this at 11:34pm, the outside temperature her in greater London is still 23.4c. When you go out the pavements and buildings are still warm to the touch, now radiating their stored heat back out like enormous storage heaters. The buses are bad enough but my god the Underground especially the Victoria Line is almsot unbearable.

Now for some years at home we have invested in air conditioning, but if you are going down that route either get a split system or one that can have two pipes - one to draw in outside air to cool the condenser and then feed that hot air back out in loop. Single pipe 'portable' air conditioners are more like personal coolers, cos every cubic metre of air they exhaust has to be replaced with another cubic metre of warm moist air coming into the room from somewhere - either outside or somewhere else in the house. As a result they never can really cool a room.  My bedroom faces south and in the shade today was 31.8 in my garden, in my room a cool 21.5 with 41% humidity. The issue really is the sheer power consumption so I ma not too keen on the next electric bill but for the cool evenings and shelter from the heat in the day I say for now it is worth it.

The last two days there has been a very pleasant breeze to moderate the temperature here on the coast. I walked from Mundesley to Bacton today very nice. Not been for a few weeks and a large cliff slip has occured that I have not seen before. It could be a problem after so much dry when the rains come. 10 minutes away from the RNLI lifeguards and you are on your own.20180724_123112.thumb.jpg.e76b691d321ef2be7ec1fd377dd7e834.jpg20180724_122108.thumb.jpg.3f1966098009601a4c7df352b5f92cbd.jpg20180724_120649.thumb.jpg.c23cb599ef3b9e5f6d38afa921073a02.jpg

• Like 4

Ones Daughter/Partner are planning to bring our No2 grandson onboard 'B.A' next month.  He will be less than a year old.  We are all very much looking forward to having him onboard (Especially Nana MrsG).  Our Nadine is a bit concerned with - Nothing - as we are all very much Broads / rivers / boat lovers with enough experience to deal with a 'Crawler' onboard.  However she has mentioned the high temperatures that we have been enjoying, especially when afloat.  So she has been looking into the possibility of purchasing an air cooler and bring it with her.  Asked me If 'B.A's onboard elec system can run it - Yes it easily can is the answer.  This model has been getting many favourable reviews from previous purchasers.  We will trial it at home and see for ourselves

Griff

www.jmldirect.com/at-home/utensils-and-gadgets/arctic-air-portable-personal-space-air-cooler-and-humidifier

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

My day at present consists of ...

• Drive from home to work with AC on in car.
  • Park car in underground car park.
  • Work in air conditioned office in summer clothes - we've ditched formal office wear!
  • Get into car which is nice and cool from being underground all day.
  • Drive home with AC on.
  • Step out from car into home.

Enjoying the evening once it cools down a little bit and I like to walk round our garden and look at all the flowers, see how they're faring, fill up the bird bath etc.

So it's just sleeping at night that's a problem ... hence looking forward to getting up to the caravan again at the weekend and being on the coast for a couple of days. :)

• Like 1

I see my Prediction the heat wave will end at the start of regatta week is coming true.., XCweather predicts rain when I'm getting the rescue boats out on Saturday Morning and again when I'm putting them away on Sunday afternoon...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I see my Prediction the heat wave will end at the start of regatta week is coming true.., XCweather predicts rain when I'm getting the rescue boats out on Saturday Morning and again when I'm putting them away on Sunday afternoon...

First weekend of the main school holiday season rainis a dead cert.

46 minutes ago, SwanR said:

My day at present consists of ...

• Drive from home to work with AC on in car.
  • Park car in underground car park.
  • Work in air conditioned office in summer clothes - we've ditched formal office wear!
  • Get into car which is nice and cool from being underground all day.
  • Drive home with AC on.
  • Step out from car into home.

Enjoying the evening once it cools down a little bit and I like to walk round our garden and look at all the flowers, see how they're faring, fill up the bird bath etc.

So it's just sleeping at night that's a problem ... hence looking forward to getting up to the caravan again at the weekend and being on the coast for a couple of days. :)

Well done you have certainly got it sussed Jean.     When I was at work I can recall sitting in a sweaty office all day long ,  just a fan provided (big deal)  and coming out to my car which had sat in the sun all day long,  the inside being about 100 degrees ,  you couldn't even put your hand on the steering wheel for a while.   No such thing as air con.   How times have changed and thank God for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hylander said:

Well done you have certainly got it sussed Jean.     When I was at work I can recall sitting in a sweaty office all day long ,  just a fan provided (big deal)  and coming out to my car which had sat in the sun all day long,  the inside being about 100 degrees ,  you couldn't even put your hand on the steering wheel for a while.   No such thing as air con.   How times have changed and thank God for that.

Still the same for me now. My desk fan just blows hot air around along with all my paperwork :(

• Sad 1

my big regret this year is that when the air con radiator on my car developed a hole last year and was going to cost 1/3 of the value of the car just for the part, I declared, ah well I will do without, after all we only ever have a couple of really hot days a year.

Oh has a decision ever come back and bitten me in the bum. (currently driving with all the windows open and sweltering.)

I have just investigated the settings on the office aircon, yesterday it was set to 22 degrees and achieved 28 degrees, when I looked I found the fans had been set to their lowest setting, and half of the vents had been closed off (because people complained  about the cold draught (my desk is at the furthest point in the office from the aircon)) fans now up to full and vents opened.

even overnight the aircon had only managed to drop the temperature to 24 degrees - our big problem is a large metal flat roof about 18" above the ceiling and no insulation. before the aircon was fitted the office regularly exceeded 33 degrees, with all the windows open and fans going.

• Sad 2

If its any consolation its been +34C for large periods of the recent days where I live (West of Hamburg).

Given our normal bad Summers this is a shock for the system - and the local agriculture where we
have not had much useful rain for weeks or even months.  Sleep is problematical.

Yesterday a big BLACK could rolled up that emitted bright flashes & rumbling noises but it moves off to the East
and dropped nothing on us.  Apparently not far away there was torrential rain.

7 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Ones Daughter/Partner are planning to bring our No2 grandson onboard 'B.A' next month.  He will be less than a year old.  We are all very much looking forward to having him onboard (Especially Nana MrsG).  Our Nadine is a bit concerned with - Nothing - as we are all very much Broads / rivers / boat lovers with enough experience to deal with a 'Crawler' onboard.  However she has mentioned the high temperatures that we have been enjoying, especially when afloat.  So she has been looking into the possibility of purchasing an air cooler and bring it with her.  Asked me If 'B.A's onboard elec system can run it - Yes it easily can is the answer.  This model has been getting many favourable reviews from previous purchasers.  We will trial it at home and see for ourselves

Griff

www.jmldirect.com/at-home/utensils-and-gadgets/arctic-air-portable-personal-space-air-cooler-and-humidifier

Just had a look and it looks good. Only reservation I would have would be the hard water on the Broads.

Extract from items description:

"We recommend cleaning the water tank and inside of the unit once weekly. Use only a non-abrasive cloth and mild dish soap when needed. Unplug the unit before cleaning."

The humidifier on my CPAP never has any limescale build up at home (Manchester). When I use it on the Broads (usually for one week) I have to use an abrasive cloth to remove a slight build up of limescale.

Roy 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grendel said:

dont bring it to kent is all I can say, I can have a brand new kettle boil it once and it is full of limescale.

Kent is awful for hard water. Around 25 years ago we bought a Brita water filter jug (in Roy’s of all places) and have had no problem since. I guess the jug gets replaced every 5 years or so and the filters monthly but it’s definitely worth it. I was descaling the kettle every few days before now it never needs doing. 

23 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Kent is awful for hard water. Around 25 years ago we bought a Brita water filter jug (in Roy’s of all places) and have had no problem since. I guess the jug gets replaced every 5 years or so and the filters monthly but it’s definitely worth it. I was descaling the kettle every few days before now it never needs doing. 

I reckon here in NR34 it comes a close second to Kent for hard water.      Me and the descaling sachets are on good terms at least once a month otherwise the kettle is horrible.

12 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Griff

Snap! A few days ago Kathy ordered a pair of very similar units from Amazon, not arrived yet but got to be better than melting at night like we did last week. At the risk of an explosion in Donny - £19.49 each and free p&p!!!

I for one am really enjoying the warm and, thus far. predictable weather.  It is great to be able to plan outings, BBQs and get-togethers with confidence and  get on with the outdoor jobs that need doing in the dry.   Too hot for boating though at the moment, but we have had some lovely days on the beach at Winterton, where temperatures have been a few degrees cooler and there is usually a breeze.  

What with official warnings that we should stay out the sun between the hours of 11am and 3pm,  melting tar on roads, warped track on the railways and ever increasing threats of water shortage, only the Brits could turn the first decent summer for many years into a national disaster.

Finally, at risk of incurring the ire of the  Mods who might be concerned that this would upset any any climate change scientists  or broadcasters  who happen to be looking in I am disappointed that the BBC has seized on the current weather situation to pump up the volume on so-called global warming.  Interestingly, after the last few years of so-so summers, which were supposed  to herald decades of wet, humid and overcast summer weather, the Beeb, aided and abetted by various climate change "authorities" , is now  puffing that we will be seeing  an increasing trend towards hot, dry summers instead, based on some very questionable science.   If a single data point can change the model from warm and wet to hot and dry, it can't be much of a model methinks.

Anyway, rant over. It now looks as though it is going to rain at the weekend. 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, smellyloo said:

Hopefully those that deny "Global warning"

Sadly not as I remember the long hot summers of the 50's and 60's. Also the scorcher of 1976, in April I forecast this as in 1976 0n 20th April there was nearly a foot of snow. June 1st the sun came out like this until October ... These extra hot summers and cold winters come around nothing to do with global warming my friend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1