Naughty-cal Heads To The Broads Again

Cal

Just doing a spot of shopping in Yarmouth then finding a quick drink before heading off across Breydon before the hire boats start arriving at Yarmouth. 

We have moored as close to the yacht station office as possible so the staff can keep an eye on the boat but there is only so much they can do against errant hire boats :default_sailing:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

We have moored as close to the yacht station office as possible so the staff can keep an eye on the boat but there is only so much they can do against errant hire boats

Please stop knocking hire boats, as the people who hire them is wide and varied. Many owners on the Broads started off as hirers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

34 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Please stop knocking hire boats, as the people who hire them is wide and varied. Many owners on the Broads started off as hirers.

Thank you Charlie.

I remind Cal that he is talking of Great Yarmouth Yacht Station which, since the War, was leased, maintained and operated by Blakes Holidays, who also operated a tow boat service on Breydon Water.

Hire boats!

When he gets to Ranworth and enjoys a meal in the Maltsters he may also reflect on the fact that it was only Blakes, after the War, who kept this broad from being closed by the landowner, by taking out a lease on it, which they later passed to the Broads Authority.

Hire boats again!

A straw poll of this forum would identify a vast majority of members who first came here as hirers, either themselves or as the children of families who hired before them. That is why we have so many members from Scotland, the north, the midlands and the south. They came here as hirers.

So let's live together and enjoy a fabulous resource which would not be the same today, if it were not for tourism, and hire boats.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

We have nothing against hire boats in general. However the very few we have seen so far seem to have been helmed by novice crews with little or no idea of how to handle the boats they are at the helm of.

For example the boat will not just stop if you are travelling at full throttle with the tide and stick it in neutral. And no it isn't broken when it doesn't stop!

Our love of boats came from hiring on the Broads. Yes we made a few mistakes along the way but nothing compared to what we have thus far witnessed in 24 hours.

• Sad 1

Welcome to the Broads in the high season. As you have hired here before, and presumably gained your experience here, I am not sure what else you expected? At least you have the option, to choose other cruising areas whenever you wish.

In the meantime, please do not presume to judge the hire boat business, its maintenance, or its customers. Its existence, is the main reason you, and all of us, are able to enjoy the Broads.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We gained our experience with our own boat. You don't get that experience hiring for a week or two at a time once or twice a year.

We take a lot of pride in our boat and have no desire for it to damaged hence our choice to move the boat from an area with strong tides on yard turn around day.

I will say again. We have no problem with hire boats. You just never know if the one approaching has an experienced or novice crew. Of course the same is very true of private boats. And that is why we choose our mooring spots carefully. 

• Like 1

Some people have a short or selective memory, when remembering how they acquired their boating skills. I'm always very forgiving (no, I'm not a saint) of the mistakes inexperienced crews make, I've been there, done it, got the T shirt. Long ago now, but I have a good memory and sometimes cringe at the silly mistakes we made, but no one is a born helmsman, it's a skill you learn, often by the mistakes you make along the way...

Fortunately, when I learned my (limited) boating skills, it was at a time when probably 90% of the boats on the broads were hire craft. Luckily, most of my mistakes were met with a shrug and a smile, possibly some useful advice too, from more skilled hirers. It was the (mostly) friendly attitude of the other boating holiday makers, which meant I've kept coming back for more, for the last forty years.

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

have no desire for it to damaged hence our choice to move the boat from an area

Sadly scuffs/slight damage is a fact of boating in busy areas.  I have yet to see a cross channel ferry scuffless! So are their skippers pilots inexperienced in your eyes???

To compare  a cross channel ferry to the broads is stupid.

Any body who has a significant investment in a boat and it  is their pride and joy like Cals looks like and so is our boat quite rightly concerned when moored in certain areas so don’t  knock him for stating the obvious or are we going all politically correct with hire boaters now for fear of offending ?

John

• Like 3

I think it is a real shame that this forum is becoming so confrontational.

He has come here on holiday and makes a simple statement about not wanting to be hit and the world and his wife are down his throat. My boat was on The Broads for 10 years and I was equally careful. In that time I was never hit by a private boat but three times by hire vessels. I am not saying everyone but I am afraid there is an element of less pride when something is hired or rented. 

As I said I have noted a more agressive attitude creeping into this forum and it is a pity.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

so don’t  knock him for stating the obvious or are we going all politically correct with hire boaters now for fear of offending ?

Politically correct no, I just live in the real world knocks n bruises happen a fact of life boating in busy areas. Nothing at all to do with hire v private.

• Like 2

We hired for 20+ years before we took the plunge into ownership , do I still make a total cock up of mooring ? Yes often , enjoying The Broads is about the place and the people we encounter most of whom are on holiday and hiring and 99% are respectful of their boat and of others property , will happily create space on a busy mooring when politely asked (this morning a day boat moved to allow us on to Sutton Staithe),I’m sure many owners and hirers alike have seen many private boats mooring in such a way that prevents anyone mooring near to them and taking two spaces up .

Yes as owners we take steps to protect our boat , which is often something as simple as assisting others to moor  beside us , besides Kate loves to help with the ropes .

let’s all get on and enjoy what is a special place The Norfolk and Suffolk Broads with a smile as opposed to a frown 

ps. Loving the tale and photos 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There are good and bad hire helms and good and bad private helms and the good ones can still make mistakes so yes bumps and scrapes are a fact of life especially in high season. One big difference is hire boats in the main are large heavily laid up sturdy craft with big rubber 'D'' rubbing strakes and can take the knocks so I can understand someone with a lightweight sports cruiser being wary.

19 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

My boat was on The Broads for 10 years and I was equally careful. In that time I was never hit by a private boat but three times by hire vessels. I am not saying everyone but I am afraid there is an element of less pride when something is hired or rented.

Being 'hit' only three times in ten years anywhere on the water, let alone the Norfolk Broads, would probably equate to amazing good fortune, I would say...

Regarding, having less pride in hired craft than those that are owned. I and ALL of the friends I know (without exception), who have hired boats on the Norfolk Broads (and that is an awful lot of hires), have always taken the utmost care of the boats we hire. We've always taken great pride, in keeping both the inside and outside clean and tidy, returning our boats, in at least as good a condition as when we took them over.

Yes, I have seen hire boats that have been abused and not looked after. But equally, I've seen privately owned boats treated in the same way too. People are people, whether they own or hire, some take good care others don't.

No, I have never owned a boat, I've never felt the need to. But, I can assure you, if I had owned a boat, it would be no more nor less well looked after, than the many boats I've been lucky enough to hire...

Had a lovely run across Breydon this afternoon. Well several as it was so quiet then up to Burgh Castle but decided against mooring there and headed around to Berney for the evening. 

Nice and quiet at the moment. 

20180721_133918.jpg

20180721_135036.jpg

20180721_143744.jpg

20180721_144114.jpg

• Like 6