Naughty-cal Heads To The Broads Again

Cal

1 hour ago, Jbx5 said:

To compare  a cross channel ferry to the broads is stupid.

Any body who has a significant investment in a boat and it  is their pride and joy like Cals looks like and so is our boat quite rightly concerned when moored in certain areas so don’t  knock him for stating the obvious or are we going all politically correct with hire boaters now for fear of offending ?

John

Indeed. And if we had been hit at the speed that another hire boat was hit this morning it would have undoubtedly caused our boat serious damage. 

11 minutes ago, Cal said:

Indeed. And if we had been hit at the speed that another hire boat was hit this morning it would have undoubtedly caused our boat serious damage. 

Sounds awful.  Did you see it happen? Was anybody hurt or any damage at all to the boats concerned?  

33 minutes ago, Cal said:

Shall we cease with all this talk about collisions and damage, it will put off potential hirer's. I can assure those reading this thread that collisions and damage are not a common occurrence slight brushes are more common, and nothing to get excited about.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SueH said:

Sounds awful.  Did you see it happen? Was anybody hurt or any damage at all to the boats concerned?  

No one was hurt. More by luck then judgement. But a boat full of lads was storming down towards Yarmouth with the tide. 

We were moored out of the way at Stracey for breakfast. There were two other hire boats moored up.

The skipper put the boat into neutral expecting it to stop on a penny and obviously it carried on at speed and t boned the boat in front of the mooring it was aiming for.

The skipper, and I use the term loosely, then insisted it was broken!

Mind you to swing the balance the other way we completely misjudged the strength of the wind pulling in here and drifted a good 100 yards up river sideways as it refused to turn against it. Had to abort go up river and turn the other way.

Difference is we had the experience to know it wouldn't work and aborted the manoeuvre safely rather then trying to power out of it badly!

Just now, Bound2Please said:

Shall we cease with all this talk about collisions and damage, it will put off potential hirer's. I can assure those reading this thread that collisions and damage are not a common occurrence slight brushes are more common, and nothing to get excited about.

A slight brush against another heavily built Broads boat might not cause any or much damage.

A slight brush against a lightly built boat can cause a lot of damage.

We have brought Cal a few times before and gave suffered damage in the past. Minor scuffs and more serious.

1 minute ago, Bound2Please said:

The broads are the broads, this is the height of the season, you have to expect these things.

So what you are saying is it happens all the time and we should all be afraid, make your mind up.

Whatever happened don't start stiffling facts in case it offends or scares someone, that is when forums become pointless clicky clubs.

In fast running areas I'll always try to find a sheltered mooring from hireboats just in case, same as I don't step out in front of cars on zebra crossings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

The broads are the broads, this is the height of the season, you have to expect these things.

Yes. And that is why we are picking our moorings carefully. 

And I'm sorry but I will not apologise for that.

We have ploughed a lot of money into this boat. 

1 minute ago, Smoggy said:

So what you are saying is it happens all the time and we should all be afraid, make your mind up.

Whatever happened don't start stiffling facts in case it offends or scares someone, that is when forums become pointless clicky clubs.

In fast running areas I'll always try to find a sheltered mooring from hireboats just in case, same as I don't step out in front of cars on zebra crossings.

Thank you.

I was starting to think we were a bit obsessive ?

24 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

This is the friendly forum lets keep it that way. Hire boats have as much right as private boats to use the broads, this is fast becoming anti hire boats. If you dont like hire boats why have a boat here. Go some where that hire boats dont exsist.

It seems to be you that has the problem!

I have already said, several times now may I add, that we have no problem with hire boats but we are choosing quieter moorings for reason  of self preservation. 

Yes we are here when it is busy but that doesn't mean we are happy to be struck by other boats.

Why should we be?

5 minutes ago, Cal said:

It seems to be you that has the problem!

But I don't understand your problem.

In the last few days since you arrived here, you have made un-reasoned attacks on hire boat companies, with regard to batteries, maintenance and presentation and now you have started an argument about hire boats and their skippers. And yes, you started it.

You are more than welcome here for your holiday before you take your boat back to your own waters, which may be more tranquil. Meantime I don't see why you should be so disparaging about the tourists upon whom the whole place has relied for decades.

It is rather like killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bound2Please said:

Why should we ?

There is a difference between a slight touch and a muppet hitting another vessel at full speed because they lack the training or don't care because they can hand  it back at the end of the week.

If someone damages my boat that's my holiday gone and probably the one after because no one is going to come out with a replacement for me. 

Here we go again Private v Hire

I have hired boats for 50 years and been on the broads most of those years I do not want to own a boat because through family and work commitments I would only use it 2/3 weeks a year and for personnel reasons I do not like the idea of syndicate boats

I have a RYA skippers certificate

In all of those years I have seen very few instances of bad behaviour or bad helmanship and more on the canals than the broads

The way you lot carry on people reading this thread would think the broads are no better than dodgem cars at a fairground

In general most people  have a nice quiet holiday on the broads 

one incident happens and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and starts shouting and becoming abusive

thats me finished with this forum

Ray

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Boatingman said:

Here we go again Private v Hire

I have hired boats for 50 years and been on the broads most of those years I do not want to own a boat because through family and work commitments I would only use it 2/3 weeks a year and for personnel reasons I do not like the idea of syndicate boats

I have a RYA skippers certificate

In all of those years I have seen very few instances of bad behaviour or bad helmanship and more on the canals than the broads

The way you lot carry on people reading this thread would think the broads are no better than dodgem cars at a fairground

In general most people  have a nice quiet holiday on the broads 

one incident happens and everyone jumps on the bandwagon and starts shouting and becoming abusive

thats me finished with this forum

I would have said "thanks" to your post but the last line is sad.

We have indeed been having this private v hire argument for decades. Long before internet forums were ever invented and it has never been anything but negative.

I feel, on this occasion, that it has been resurrected for personal gratification and that also, is sad.

I am sure that this forum, however, is strong enough to rise above it!

• Like 3

The wife's watching some voice/kids/contest thing, I'm sitting here in my study with a bottle of wine and the interwotsit. I suspect I'm the one being best entertained. Internet forums are great for raising pulses, it starts out nice and friendly then someone reads something the wrong way and it's a red rag to a bull.

14 days and I'm 2 days into my holiday on this

image.png.c74dd6d3702ee3d531f1c1d3618ff29c.png

here

image.png.9a3bfcc506f87c8172f3ee80289d23b1.png

Drinking this

image.png.d98893c5e1cf9d6ba4e1741aeea174e2.png

Anyone sees me come and join me, I bet we don't fall out face to face

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

It's not about hire vs private at all, it's about idiot in a boat vs rational person in a boat, we all make cockups  but a small minority don't care how badly they cockup because they've paid a waiver, not with me or my insurance company they aint!

• Like 3

Ive asked myself a couple of times wether i should get involved in this being new myself to this forum.

But here goes, my opinion only and im not saying its right or wrong just its mine.

If im mooring in a fast flowing ares i am reluctant to leave the boat until other boats are moored up in any gap around me, i dont care if its private or hire anyone can make a hash of it me definetly included especially on windy days.

The thing is you have no way of knowing a skippers ability on the approacing boat, again private or hire. But i am guilty of assuming the private boat owner might care a little more about damaging their own boat, thats not saying someone hiring doesnt care about the boat they are on. In addition i have to admit i also assume the private boater would of had more practise, i know this isnt always the case and doesnt automatically mean they are going to moor the boat any better.

Ive seen some first class mooring from hire boaters in fact ive been on the broads just over 3 months now and not witnessed any bad mooring or incidents from private or hire boaters, except my own re attempts at mooring after getting it totally wrong. My other half has even said theres more chance of me hitting something than us being hit. ?

To me the broads is what it is not just because of hire boat money being spent here but i think seeing people, talking to them listening to holiday tales is magical. I love chatting to the people hiring a boat on their holidays. Reminds me how lucky i am to own my own boat. And get to do tjus all the time.

Surely a forum like this is for all to comunicate, learn, help and advise and make friends.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1