Naughty-cal Heads To The Broads Again

Cal

2 minutes ago, 40something said:

Sorry don't agree, these things can happen to any boat, hire or private, no-one is suggesting the yard is at fault. Also the photo is already in the public domain on Cals blog site

To avoid hijacking Naughty Cals holiday tale I have aired my views on the Double Standards thread. Not sure if that is the right place but seemed better than here.

• Like 1

Gave in when the depth sounder was reading 2ft which means we only had 1ft under the drive. 

Looked very pretty but didn't fancy a bent set of props.

Moored in the Commisioners Cut now. Couple of drinks in The Rushcutter and then a curry later.

20180725_145844.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Apparently that boat (not mentioning any names) hit the bank going into the Chet. It can be quite tricky there, the tide runs fast on the main river and its a narrow entrance. Looks as if there was a metal obstruction which must have holed the boat below the water line although the hirers didn't notice at first. Likely to be out of action all season. Just hope the BA can sort out the obstruction and the boat can be repaired of course.

This shouldn't breach the TOS but stand corrected if I've misinterpreted them

2 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Apparently that boat (not mentioning any names) hit the bank going into the Chet. It can be quite tricky there, the tide runs fast on the main river and its a narrow entrance. Looks as if there was a metal obstruction which must have holed the boat below the water line although the hirers didn't notice at first. Likely to be out of action all season. Just hope the BA can sort out the obstruction and the boat can be repaired of course.

This shouldn't breach the TOS but stand corrected if I've misinterpreted them

Possibly the most inoffensive poster I know, is sharing those same egg shells!!! Hopefully the revised TOS will go a long way to address this. It needs to.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Smoggy said:

You left surlingham ferry just after I arrived yesterday or I would have wandered over for a beer, now back at home as it is too hot for the dog out on the boat so unfair on him to stay out.

Yes we are having trouble convincing Sydney to stay inactive around midday. We are chucking him downstairs which thankfully is staying nice and cool. 

We had to be off the mooring at Surlingham by 1pm as another boat was booked in. Only had a quick lunch stop.

We had a nice day at Potter Heigham yesterday. The rain last night has cooled things down nicely this morning. 

20180727_075416.jpg

20180727_111826.jpg

20180727_171339.jpg

Now heading towards Horning to stock up on supplies and then onto Salhouse to meet up with friends.

20180728_085243.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's been a wet and windy day today so we have trundled to Acle for a pub day.

20180729_101925.jpg

20180729_123100.jpg

20180729_132542.jpg

Back to Wroxham and onto Vpltishall tomorrow when the rain has stopped and we can get the hoods off again. First time in four weeks they have been on!

• Like 1

We had monsoon style rain on our trip from Coltishall to Wroxham this morning. Fortunately this morning we had the hoods up so we stayed dry.

20180731_080231.jpg

So we had a morning in Wroxham while the canopies dried off to be put away. Hopefully for the last time this holiday.

Then it was back through the bridge and onto St Bennets Abbey. 

20180731_134434.jpg

20180731_142917.jpg

20180731_143926.jpg

20180731_144959.jpg

We have had worse views for the evening.

20180731_165442.jpg

• Like 3

We had a brilliant evening at St Bennets Abbey last night.

20180731_171146.jpg

20180731_192037.jpg

20180731_204424.jpg

20180731_204719.jpg

Today it is back to Potter Heigham to see if we can get under that bridge or plan B is to hire a day boat and head up through that way for half a day.

• Like 2

We chose to take a day boat through the bridge in the end. It was touch and go whether Cal would get through so we took the safe option.

Still had a great day.

20180801_111043.jpg

20180801_132120.jpg

20180801_141814.jpg

We are now moored at Ludham Bridge for the evening.

20180801_162331.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,  I've read all your posts, 

I'm new to this forum to, 

We have our own boat currently out being refitted, ( very expensive ) so we're hirering at the moment to keep our hand in ,

I agree with some that hire craft users sail to fast don t take into consideration the tide or wind when moaring we think that's due to the company not explaining it properly when taking them out on rest drive , New sailors can't take it in in 10 mins when their tired from a long drive with family argueing in the back ,waiting around the yard,unloading the card into boat, not been on river before, 

We've watched them just stood at side of hire craft worker out of yard this long boat down the river he turns it round you take it back he turns it round them your on your own !!! Full boar down the river 

So please give guidance if possibly  (wanted)help them tie up that way your viat won't get damaged,  

And everyone has a good time And people want to come back instead of coming home thinking their grumpy private boat owner's don't want to have anythingto do with hirers,

We're all here because of the broads,

• Like 4

Norfolk Broads - the school for learning to handle a boat, always has been, always will be.

I have only hired twice and helmed a boat 4 times now, I like to think I have learned a lot in those times, I learned the most from Griff the one time I was allowed to helm Broad Ambition, some of the best advice I have ever had, and that was if you are headed into a sticky situation, dont just slow down, or you lose all manouverability.

have I hit anything - not yet, and I hope not in future too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Willow said:

We have our own boat currently out being refitted, ( very expensive ) so we're hirering at the moment to keep our hand in ,

I agree with some that hire craft users sail to fast don t take into consideration the tide or wind when moaring we think that's due to the company not explaining it properly when taking them out on rest drive , New sailors can't take it in in 10 mins when their tired from a long drive with family argueing in the back ,waiting around the yard,unloading the card into boat, not been on river before, 

We've watched them just stood at side of hire craft worker out of yard this long boat down the river he turns it round you take it back he turns it round them your on your own !!! Full boar down the river 

So please give guidance if possibly  (wanted)help them tie up that way your viat won't get damaged,  

And everyone has a good time And people want to come back instead of coming home thinking their grumpy private boat owner's don't want to have anythingto do with hirers,

What should hirers do, when a private boat powers passed at 3X the limit, creating a wash which can knock your cups of the table?

Or even worse , the beer out your hand:default_icon_rolleyes:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Willow said:

Thank you Willow. I was a trial run driver, an instructor if you like, for some 30 years.

I find your comments worthy of further consideration by those on this forum for  contribution and may I suggest constructive criticism with regard to the induction of the new hirer.

Andrew

• Like 1