Hickling Campsite

grendel

So, while working on Royal Tudor with Tim, last weekend I booked a pitch at this campsite, meeting up with Tim on Friday night ready to work Saturday.

I arrived in the afternoon, and basically there arre no laid out pitches, just choose a spot you like the look of and put up your tent.

One thing to note at this juncture is that it is purely a camp site, no caravans or motor homes.

the facilities on this site are good, but there is no electrical hook up, at night lighting is provided by low intensity led solar powered lighting. this gives spectacular views of the stars and milky way at night.

there is a shower block, all hot water is supplied at  one standard temperature, but it is a nice shower. there are sinks for washing up, and a toilet block with 4 standard toilets.

The site also has a selection of glamping huts, which looked nice and comfortable.

I did notice that there was a large range of ages camping, from families with young children, to groups of adults - to three old gits working on a boat. people arrived on foot, on bicycle, motorbike and car, there was a really family feel to the site.

the site provides metal fire pits for the pitches, there is seasoned timber from sustainable sources on sale on site, with firelighters (one only needed it says, and that is quite correct) and to top off the experience marshmallows to toast over the fire. having a wood fire not only keeps the bugs away, it really is a part of the experience.

http://www.hicklingcampsite.co.uk/

• Like 3

DSC_0150.JPGThis will be my second year camping at the Hickling campsite, visiting on numerous occasions throughout the year. As Grendel says it has a real family feel to the campsite. It is also spotlessly clean and very well maintained. There is also, I believe, a fridge/freezer available to use.

The site is a leisurely walk away from Hickling village, the Greyhound Pub which I thoroughly recommend  (book a table) and the Pleasure Boat. The village also has a mobile fish and chip shop on Friday Evenings. 

I highly recommend the Hickling Campsite and the showers are superb after a days work in the boatshed, with plenty of hot water and no messing around with coin-operated boxes!

DSC_0146.JPGDSC_0160.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Some time ago, Boats.com produced this list of camping cruisers. Personally I remember some words of A.C, Stock in "sailing just for fun" where he says ho much more pleasant is his 16 foot cruiser than being under canvas.

I must say I have always prefered a lid, to sleep under, however small and extend it with canvas over the cockpit.

Screenshot_20181008-054106.thumb.png.eaf25755fe9ac91914d412c262158aed.png

• 3 months later...
On 08/10/2018 at 07:22, w-album said:

A few weeks ago I found a boat on Airb&b advertised as camping on water moored at Hickling

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Hickling--United-Kingdom/homes?adults=1&children=0&infants=0&click_referer=t%3ASEE_ALL|sid%3Ad7f0d321-6546-45de-98b0-cd2aec505774|st%3ALANDING_PAGE_MARQUEE&title_type=NONE&refinement_paths[]=%2Fhomes&allow_override[]=&s_tag=7TDDCPWR

Out of curiosity I had a look at the Airbnb site, found some delightful accommodation but, regretfully, no camping on water, shame.

• 1 month later...

On the south broads there are wild-camping pitches on Alderfen Marshes which borders Surlingham Broad, accessible by canoe (provided by the site).  Camping here is completely off-grid within a privately managed conservation area which means you have space and privacy with only two pitches occupied at any one time in a six-acre area.