Ranworth Breeze Summer 2018

Tan and I set off for Norfolk at 6.30pm last night after waiting for a truck that was picking up a jukebox part I had repaired destined for Spain.

We had a good journey down at that time with not many hold ups and stopped for some food at the Truck Stop on the A17.

A couple of splashes of rain in places almost evaporated in the heat, it was still 27 degrees at 8.00pm with the car windows down, needless we were loaded to the gunnels so the roof down was not an option.

We arrived at Brundall a little before 10.0pm and managed to scrape into one of the Brundall Co-op's before they rolled down the shutters, a few provisions for the morning later we arrived at the boat. We just unloaded the basics an made up the bed after doing battle with the mattress topper (what a difference these make to any bed). Coffee and a couple of crossword puzzles later we hit the sack.

Sleep seemed to come easier for me than Tan, maybe it was the late meal that gave her grief.

I awoke at 5.50am seeing the light I could not sleep in anymore, I got dressed and checked out the forum world and then started to write this blog.

More later of our  two weeks on the Broads, I just hope all the dampening posts of how hot it has been have not jinxed our tome on the boat. Regarding the heat bring it on:default_party0001:

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 14

23 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Looking forward to your blog, Alan. How did you get 2 consecutive weeks in the syndicate - did you swap with another owner? 

Hi Simon,

Yes I swapped with another owner he was going to be working abroad so could not use next but wished to still have a school week allocation, we are not tied to fixtures so swapping seemed logical. In the end his job abroad was put on hold. All owners try and accommodate other owners when possible. 

Tan was unsure re having two weeks together, washing came into it I believe and there was talk of how we would get it all in the car. 

Regards

Alan

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, Matt said:

Will you be heading up north......?

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi Matt,

Not this time the tides are against us, last week would have been fine. after saying that the Southern Broads have been very busy last week with double mooring at most popular moorings, on the Northern Rivers it will be a nightmare and these days the slog through Yarmouth is not that appealing.

I caught up on a number of jobs on the boat yesterday after going to Beccles to get provisions.

After breakfast we are going into Wroxham to drop off a canopy section for some stitching and call in Roy's for some Black Bomber (waxed cheddar cheese) if they have any.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Simon said:

Lucky you 2 weeks,  very nice. Have you got a route planned or winging it. 

We down Friday night till monday, heading to Beccles / oulton broad for the weekend, 

Hi Simon,

We tend to wing it but will have to try and take account of the tides in case Somerleyton Bridge is none operational, having said that I have not seen any Broads Authority notices over the last week regarding the bridges, maybe we are having the wrong sort of heat:default_norty:.

We may head towards Loddon when we get back from Wroxham.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

Hi Matt,
Not this time the tides are against us, last week would have been fine. after saying that the Southern Broads have been very busy last week with double mooring at most popular moorings, on the Northern Rivers it will be a nightmare and these days the slog through Yarmouth is not that appealing.
I caught up on a number of jobs on the boat yesterday after going to Beccles to get provisions.
After breakfast we are going into Wroxham to drop off a canopy section for some stitching and call in Roy's for some Black Bomber (waxed cheddar cheese) if they have any.
Regards
Alan 

That’s a shame. I will let you know how busy it is :-)

M

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Wednesday 18th July.

Awoke a little after 6.00am and retrieved emails and checked on the forum.

We had breakfast and set off for Wroxham and called into Jeckells a little after 9.00am with a canopy section that needed stitching, one of the tie down patches was missing (I had already stitched one  back on the previous evening that had been saved by one of my fellow owners). We left the section with them and did a little shopping in Roy’s , a little over an hour after a coffee we called back to Jeckells, the section was repaired. I have always found them very accommodating in these small repairs while you wait.

Back at the marina we took down the canopy and set off, I took the boat out of the marina and did a little of “left-hand down it is sir” and handed the helm over to Tan while I took in the sun.

We had decided that we would head to Loddon today and hoped we would be able to moor at the staithe. We passed a couple of boats coming down the River Chet, but there was a boat travelling in front of us. Tan relinquished the helm outside of Maffetts and we managed to get at the side of the boat we were following, there was just one space left at the side of us.

During the afternoon a few boats came and went, it seemed strange that people were leaving a good mooring after 3.00 and 4.00pm. We walked a couple of boats into spaces at the side of us and chattered to their occupants.

On the journey I had a couple of calls relating to our two shares that we put up for sale about three weeks ago, a couple I spoke to on Tuesday who are very interested are coming down to meet us on the boat on Saturday and today we had an interested party who will send me their details, sadly Loddon is virtually a dead zone with regards to phone reception and internet connectivity.

In the staithe was Lightning and Trixie, I am not sure who is on Lightning this week, but Robin was walking passed the boat so I introduced myself and we had a chat over boating tails of woe.

I had already nipped up the village calling in the DIY for some walking stick feet, we use these on the boarding ladder for protecting the hull. Into the Kings Head not for a beer, but a couple of shower tokens for the staithe shower facility. We have two showers on-board but tend to use land facilities, when ever possible.

Clean and fresh we headed to the White Horse for an early meal, as usual a member of their staff had left leaflets with all the boats at the staithe. It was a fair meal but the menu was limited, this may have been because they were also having a barbecue out in the garden, we only saw the Morris Men queuing at the bar for a brew.

Back at the boat we had a couple of games of Rummikub (a tile based game similar to scrabble but with numbers) I had won all the games we played the previous evening so Tan was desperate to even the score. We watched a DVD had coffee and were in bed by 11.30pm.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thursday 19th July.

A late riser this morning 6.45am wrote yesterday’s blog and proceeded to remove all the canopy panels.

Someone had left the staithe around midnight, but they were straight off not causing too much disruption.

After breakfast and a crossword Tan helped take down the canopy top, while I chattered away with a few of the other crews at the staithe, It was Roy aboard Lightning (one of our forum members). Robin had gone so it may have been him last night doing a spot of night cruising.

We set off at 8.30am me at the helm whilst Tan cleaned the pots, it did not last long and Tan took over the helm. Once I had reception I left a message at the Beccles Yacht Station could they reserve me a mooring.

By the time we were at Reedham the tide had dropped quite a lot, we passed Trixie moored outside the Nelson, at the bridge we had over a foot of clearance. Tan took us along the new cut after I had taken us under the bridge. Tan was very concerned that the baggin cages used on the starboard side of the cut were further into the river well beyond the green posts.

A boat overtook us part way down the new cut but we caught up with him at Somerleyton Bridge, it was stuck by all accounts, I had timed our passage so we had again had about a foot of clearance at the bridge, we need 9 foot 8 inches and there was around 11 foot or there about, the bridge height boards are very difficult to read on the lower levels. We had only gone a mile or so down the river when the same boat caught up with us and passed us again, so the staff we saw on the bridge must have sorted it out quickly.

We followed a few boat towards the Waveney River Centre, I noticed there were about 7 or 8 of the yurts now on the site. The river boat waver a number of the boats to pass her just after the centre.

We always forget how long a journey it is into Beccles but enjoyed the journey, I topped up the sun while Tan kept us on the straight and narrow (not too narrow it is the Southern Broads). I had to warn her that Albion was dead in front of her around a bend, she said she was looking forward nt up and had not seen the mast.  We arrived at Beccles about 1.00pm and managed to moor; there were plenty of moorings available. Moored up I went to the office and paid for the mooring for the night. We decided not to purchase shower tokens again this visit, it must be around five years ago that there was talk by the yacht station staff that there would be new facilities, over the last five years these facilities have got worse by every season, they are dirty, and hardly maintained. Tan will not use them anymore.

We walked up to Beccles and were glad that we eventually arrived at Wetherspoons, menu perused  I ordered at the bar, I went for gammon eggs and chips, Tan ham eggs  chips, a pint and a half of Fosters all in at £15.90 (my drink was free with the meal. We left the pub and went on to do some shopping before heading back to the boat. At least it was slightly downhill on the walk back.

Back on the boat we took in the sun for a while watching and talking to the number of people who were looking at the boats at the yacht station moorings. We went below it was getting too hot for Tan, We played a couple of games of Rumminkub. I went back onto the upper helm and looked a few of the fender socks, one had come loose so I repaired that one and darned a couple of small slits on two more.

Tan came back up top and while I was finishing off and we sat watching the world go by. Albion come into moor at the Yacht Station for the night.

I prepared our evening meal; I cooked off some sausages and sliced new potatoes in the oven, boiled some sliced carrots and red beans. The sausage and potatoes cooked I put tinned tomatoes and baked beans, the carrots and red beans with a little mustard into a casserole dish. Added  the sausage pieces and potatoes onto Tan’s side (I have to limit my carbs at the moment) and covered with a good helping of grated cheese. Back into the over for 20 minutes before serving.

We watched a DVD, had coffee and a crossword and were in bed before 10.30 pm

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that Alan.

You seem to have written our holiday blogs for us but you missed the bit about Jill disappearing to make bacon butties on the way down the New Cut, is there a more tedious but of river anywhere.

Try the little Italian down the road from Wetherspoons.

Albion appeared at OBYS the last time we were there.

Have you tried the carvery at the Wherry? was good the 2 weeks ago.

We often see R B on the river but you never seem to be on board.

paul

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

During the afternoon a few boats came and went, it seemed strange that people were leaving a good mooring after 3.00 and 4.00pm. We walked a couple of boats into spaces at the side of us and chattered to their occupants.

Not strange in the least. I get itchy feet once I've been stopped for a while at lunch time, I just love cruising. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Thanks for that Alan.

You seem to have written our holiday blogs for us but you missed the bit about Jill disappearing to make bacon butties on the way down the New Cut, is there a more tedious but of river anywhere.

Try the little Italian down the road from Wetherspoons.

Albion appeared at OBYS the last time we were there.

Have you tried the carvery at the Wherry? was good the 2 weeks ago.

We often see R B on the river but you never seem to be on board.

paul

The 100ft drain in the Fens has to take the trophy for the most tedious stretch of water in the UK.

Makes the new cut look interesting!

11 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

During the afternoon a few boats came and went, it seemed strange that people were leaving a good mooring after 3.00 and 4.00pm.

Not that strange really, evening cruising (when all but the strange, are moored up) is wonderful, the rivers, reedbeds and grazing marshes, become calm and peaceful. As the waterways quieten the riverside wildlife becomes more active. Owls quartering the marshes & meadows, deer browsing the bankside vegetation and the otter families become active too. A slow gentle cruise in the beautiful, slowly fading light of a warm summer evening, can be absolutely magical...

Friday 20th July.

Awoke at 7.00am and wrote yesterday’s blog, Tan stayed in bed until I had finished. Computer stowed away I prepared breakfast and checked out the upper helm, I had left the side panels out of the canopy last night, so checked all was well.

A number of boats had left early in the morning and there was nothing now on our starboard side. Albion was still moored; I could see the mast further up the moorings near to the Yacht Station office.

Breakfast and crosswords later we were almost ready to leave Beccles. The canopy top and masthead down, mud weight up I set off whilst Tan tidied up. We set off at 9.30am so we would arrive at Somerleyton Bridge at a lower tide, just in case there were issues with the bridge.

Tan managed to get stung by something, she could only see the very small bite, but had not seen what had stung her, it was on her ring finger and it was swelling fast. She went down below to tend her painful finger.

At Somerleyton the same boat that could not get through the bridge yesterday was doing a circuit waiting for the bridge to open in 10 minutes, we managed to get our 9 foot 8 inches airdraft though with about 10 inches to spare, the ironic part of it was that the other boats airdraft other than his hinged radar arch was around 8 foot 6 inches.

Tan came up top and took over the helm for the new cut whilst I prepared lunch, I was having cooked off bacon with my salad and Tan was having two miniature pork pies with hers. I came up to take us through Reedham Bridge and left Tan at the helm so I could finish lunch off.

We moored at the 24 hour mooring just outside the entrance to the River Chet and had lunch. We had never moored there before; usually we are just going past to Reedham or up the Chet.

On our way again we headed back to the marina, there was hardly any wind in the marina today so it was a very easy to stern moor on our pontoon. Southern Crusader that moors next to us was all shut up; the owners on-board said they may be leaving early.

We locked up and went into Brundall for a few items; the car wondered what was wrong we passed Brian Wards without stopping in both directions. We decided to go to the smaller Co-op so we could call into the chemist’s, Tan wanted a word with them regarding the best cream for bites, the cream we had in our blue bag was well out of date.

Back on the boat I did a few jobs while Tan had a rest, mud weight painted, and some marks on the hull polished out and what looked like paint overspray spots. I tackled the wooden separator from the galley to the lounge, I tend to put all my bits and bobs out of my pockets on here, wallet, penknife, change, sadly no sealing wax! One of my bugbears is that occasionally someone puts glasses or mugs on here not using a mat; needless to say we also keep the mats on this shelf. Ring remover used with a lot of elbow grease and eventually a rub down with wire wool and white spirit, finished off with some beeswax.

We put the canopy fully back up and left for showers before calling into the Yare for a meal; Tan had the steak and ale pie (one of the Yare’s most popular dishes) I had the large cod but opted for baked beans rather than garden peas, I wished they had mushy peas (the real ones not the mushed up garden peas). Meal over we headed back to the boat.

It took me a while to catch up with email and the forum after being away from the marina for a couple of days. All done we settled down for the night, watching families arrive for the weekend or the start of the holidays, no doubt it will get a lot busier after today even on the Southern Rivers.

We have potential new owners visiting us tomorrow to have a look around the boat.

We watched half a DVD after having coffee, Tan was suffering from indigestion and also jumpy legs, so it was an early night in bed for a little after 10.00pm.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Saturday 21st July.

Awoke just before 7.00am, came on the forum and checked my emails, the sun up with hardly a cloud to be seen.

Tan got up and started on the Breakfast, canopy doors rolled up and door into the boat fully open to get a though draft into the boat.

Breakfast over Tan and I decided to do the PAT testing on the boat so I could put the pat tester back into the car, I did the testing while Tan wrote out the sheets which I later signed. I moved other tems into the car while Tan did some tiding up.

A little after 11.00 am Richard, Karen & Wendy arrived at the boat, we showed them around the boat after some refreshments and talked about Ranworth Breeze, boat-shares in general and what their thoughts were regarding boating. After showing them around the boat and describing where everything was, what it did and how it was stored we lowered the canopy and set off out of the marina towards Norwich.

Out of the marina I handed the helm over to Richard for him to get a feel of the boat, its handling, stopping in its own length and its tight turning circle. We proceeded up to the Ferry House Inn at Surlingham where we mooring for lunch. Sonya was in control of the busy bar, most of the tables were full in the pub but we managed to get a table outside and had a light lunch.

After lunch we headed back to the marina with Richard at the helm out of the moorings, I showed him the procedure of port side mooring at the Brooms fuel  station, both of our put out outlets are on the port side.

We went into the marina and moored at our berth. We chattered for a while but eventually said our farewells; they had a four to five hour journey back home.

I contacted Andrew and Paula (Andrew is one of our more local owners and is a member of our management committee) earlier in the day and we arranged to meet them for an evening meal at the Yare. After a pleasant meal and good conversation, we left the pub and decided to look around the NYA boats for sale, it seemed a shame not to, and Andrew wanted to look at the Ventura boat that had just come onto the NYA books, there was talk of if the numbers came up on lottery.

Dreaming done and reservations of some of the features on some of the other boats for sale we said our goodbyes and Tan & I headed back to the boat. We put just the canopy top up but left out the sides for the night.

Tan got her own back with a couple of games of Rummikub, I am only one game up so far on the week , we finished the DVD we were watching the night before and after coffee we headed for bed.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 7

Sunday 22nd July.

It was turned 7.00 am when I awoke; I left Tan in bed whilst I checked my messages and performed my forum duties and yesterday’s blog.

I prepared the cereal and fruit this morning, today will be hopefully a day of relaxing, it is currently overcast but the pundits are tipping around 31 degrees later today.

Breakfast over we took down the canopy top and tidied up the boat, pots done and warps unfastened we slowly proceeded to the marina entrance. I had to hold the boat awaiting many small yachts that always seem to race on Sunday morning, sadly there was not even one nod of acknowledgement of my holding station for the 18 or so boats all on the wrong side of their marker buoys.

Tan let me helm all the way to Bramerton Common, we managed to get into one of the spaced available almost opposite one of the electric posts much to our surprise, we had been told that there was double mooring here last week by one of the owners off of Southern Crusader.

We arrived at 11.30 am and loads of people were already on the green, families picnicking, playing games or walking their dogs on this popular area. It was with dismay to see that a couple of black bags had been left by the dog waste bin; one of the bags had its contents scattered by animals. Sadly this is one of the effects by removing services that should be provided in all tourist areas.

We intended to stay overnight so we had a light lunch and settled in and played a few games of Rummikub. I had called an enquiry that had left a message on our website regarding was the syndicate still running and were there any shares available. It turned out that the enquirer was from Brundall, we talked for a while and we arranged that they would visit Ranworth Breeze whilst we were moored at Bramerton.

Visit over after showing them around the boat and talking more about the syndicate over the wine they had brought with them as a present, they left to think over the proposal.

Tan now after a couple of glasses of wine was beating me hands down on the game we had started and had overtaken me on the weekly tally of the games won. We stayed in the lounge with all the windows and hatches open to get a through breeze, it was too hot for Tan, I could have sat on the upper deck watching all the boats go by all afternoon, but kept Tan company now she was on a roll of getting her own back.

I let the all-day breakfast cook in the oven whilst we played and cooked the eggs, tomatoes and beans when the rest was ready. Tan loves my cooking but always says that I use too many pots in my preparation, in this case 3 trays, two pans and a small frying pan. I do the cooking Tan does the pots that fare.

At 7.00 pm I put up the TV aerial and tuned in the TV, Tan was not impressed that I could not tune in the BBC channels for Poldark, we will have to use catch up at home. This was the first time we have watched the TV rather than a DVD, I have to say we have not missed it.

Coffee and bed at 11.20 pm.

DSC_0545.JPG

DSC_0546.JPG

DSC_0547.JPG

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Monday 23rd July.

We awoke to a beautiful sunny day at Bramerton Green. This morning we took down the top of the canopy and had breakfast on the upper helm deck after bringing the occasional table up top. The swans and ducks thought they were going to get a feed. 

Breakfast and crosswords completed I removed the cable from the electric post, we had to wait a while to slip the mooring two boats in each direction appeared once I had taken off the ropes but we were hardly moving. The boats passed us and we slowly set off from almost the end of the moorings, I did not use the bow thruster because it was still early, sadly there was a hidden fisherman in the foliage just past the moorings and because we did not want to make any sudden movement to starboard we passed very close to him the words of thank you very much were heard and we said sadly we had not seen him, it upset Tan.

We slowly followed the boats that had passed us and preceded to Brundal, there were loads of geese on the river this morning. We arrived at the Marina, the water was like mill pond this morning so we had an easy stern moor onto our pontoon.

Tan got the bags ready for us to take with us to the shower block whilst I removed the canopy top, I had noticed that some of the stitching on fastening onto the frame the only Velcro one on the top rails (the rest are zips) was coming unstitched (this was more than I would have liked to stitch by hand). I folded it up and put it in the boot. We went for our showers and had to wait at the level crossing; we passed Brian Ward’s again without calling in, it is starting to worry me, there must be something we need.

We arrived at Wroxham just after 10.00 am and went straight to Jeckells, I said I was sorry to call in yet again but could they please do some more stitching for me, one of the guys came out of the back and I showed him the problem, we were going to do some shopping, he said it would be ready in an hour.

Off to Roy’s; I wanted to replace the smaller frying pan and Tan wanted to look for cutoffs,  I had a look around the men’s department, there was nothing I needed so kept my hands firmly in my pockets. We went across the road to get some more provisions, some fresh bread for lunch, more Black Bomber, bacon & sausages. Shopping done we left Roy’s and went back to Jeckells to pick up the canopy, it was ready for us, so I paid (I am getting too old to do a runner) and thanks them for their excellent service.

Back on the boat I caught up with emails and the forum, Tan was chomping on the bit for lunch, afterwards we set off for Rockland St, Mary, there was just enough space for me to fit between a couple of moored boats, one of the boats “Cristina” took a rope and walked me in. We spent the afternoon chatting to the other boat owners or taking in the sun, it was too hot for Tan until I rigger up the parasol after taking out Ensign out of its tube, Tan kept in the shade whilst I sat in the sun, there was movement of a few boats into and out of the moorings, one boat came in turned and went back out even though there were spaces on the other side (we were moored at the end).

At 7.00 pm we on the long journey over the road to the New Inn, I had already popped over the road to book us a table for 7.00 pm, we sat in the bar watching the ladies darts team practice for their game tonight, we chatted to the landlady, she has been in the pub for four years, we were in the pub when they first arrived. Replenished we headed back to the boat and opened all the hatches we had closed.

After a few games we watched a DVD and retired to bed a little after 11.30 pm, not even time for coffee.

Regards

Alan & Tan

Tuesday 24th July.

We had had a good night at Rockland St. Mary and I took a few pictures of the staithe before breakfast.

Tan did the pots whilst I got us to the river in time for Tan to take over for the short journey back to Brundall. We could see that Southern Crusader had been opened up and talking to the owners they could not get down to the boat during the weekend.

I decided that I would fit a light onto the upper helm to aid arriving back to the boat after dusk, fitted and tested and the various panels replaced I went to the shower block, Tan had already walked up there  earlier.

I arrived back at the boat one of the owners had already arrived for the short meeting we were having regarding boat policy.

Meeting over and after a light lunch we slipped the moorings and headed towards Norwich, we were not too sure where we would moor up tonight so we were decide later. There was space at Bramerton , Commissioners Cut and at Whitlingham for a change. I decided we would check out the clearance at the railway bridge; a bridge marker down the river from the bridge would have been better but we managed to pass under it with 6 inches to spare. By the time we had got under the bridge we were now leading a convey; into Norwich, there has been a lot of development on the riverside.

Tan smelt a familiar smell of cooking; of course it was the smell of mint sauce. The last time we had ventured into Norwich I was dismayed that moorings that used to be used in front  of the old warehouses was deemed as a no mooring area, this still appeared to be the case with no mooring signs clearly posted everywhere, this did not prevent the odd few boats that were moored there.

We proceeded to the yacht station and moored further up the mooring to take advantage of one of the electric posts, staff at the yacht station were using bike to collect mooring fees, I wandered down the mooring a met one of the chaps to pay our dues, we had a chat, this is the first time we will have stopped overnight here. Ropes through the rings and tied off on the boat and the mud weight put down, we walked down towards Foundry Bridge and went into the pub with the terrace overlooking the river, after a beer we started to get peckish so we had a meal, Tan had scampi and I had the fish.

We sat there for a short while waiting for our food and got chatting to a Scott who was working on one of the oil rigs off the coast, a nice guy, we got talking about the Scottish Canals and the Caledonian Canal  but left him to his meal when it arrived.

Back at the boat we opened all of the windows and had a few games of Rummikub (still two games up on the week so far, but Tan is holding her own) before watching a DVD. 

Bed at 10.30 pm, still the noise of traffic and people walking up the road.

Regards

Alan & Tan

DSC_0548.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0550.JPG

DSC_0554.JPG

DSC_0555.JPG

• Like 11

Wednesday 25th July.

I awoke at 5.30 am the traffic noise had already started, I wrote yesterday’s blog before confirming that low water would be about 6.45 am for the Trowse Bridge. I took a couple of pictures of the yacht station moorings and took out the canopy sides that we had left up on the bank side.

Tan stirred after I had been up top getting ready to leave, she helped me take down the canopy top, shore power disconnected and mud weight up we slipped slowly down river after turning around at 6.45 am. By the time we arrived at Trowse Bridge we had about a foot of clearance at the bridge.

We moored at Whitingham for breakfast before continuing our journey to Brundall. The sun was out and it was becoming another glorious day, we got back to the marina a little after 9.00 am. I checked my emails and went up to the village for some provisions, I stopped off at Brian Wards for a couple of large blue fenders (they were cheap £15.00 each) to use as dock fenders, Robin would have been proud.

Back at the boat I strung the fenders on the finger pontoon from large eyelets and line, the job done and tools packed away we had a lunch before setting off to Loddon.

Tan took the helm out of the marina, a few boats came towards us but we did not encounter another boat travelling in our direction, we were both surprised that the rivers have been a lot quieter than we expected. The sugar factory kept appearing and disappearing as we went from bend to bend. The moorings at Hardley Mill were full with three boats.

I took over the helm as we approached the entrance to the River Chet, we had only gone around a few of the reed lined bends before we came across the boat that had sunk, John from Maffett’s was there with Titan and another recovery boat, they waved us on , the boat was now afloat but they were still working on it.

The Chedgrave Common moorings were almost full, it did not look too promising for the staithe moorings, and we were surprised that there were a few spaces available. I moored at the side of a rather nice F37; the owner took a line for us. Moored up it seemed the right thing to do to chat away about boats and how we had got into boating. Another chap on Herbert Wood boat was off to the shower and we chattered on his way back to boat, today was his 50th birthday and his daughter had just given birth in Norwich hospital, he was getting ready for a taxi to take him from the staithe at 7.00 pm.

Tan went to the shower whilst I opened a bottle of Malbec (a smooth red) the tokens used for the shower are the same ones used at the Beccles Yacht Station, the shower here is a lot better use of the token (until the Beccles facilities are refurbished Tan refuses to use them, I would assume that most ladies feel likewise). Tan arrived back to the boat and said a glass of wine would be good before seeing the opened bottle. I had to wait a while before I went to the showing but now back on the boat clean and ready for a meal we walked up to the Swan. It was a tasty meal but my fish could have been an adults portion.

Back on the boat Tan was vanquished by winning  two Rummikub  games on the trot and leaving the states up to now as a draw. We watched a DVD (Stardust) we have seen a few times before but we like. Coffee and bed about 11.00 pm.

Regards

Alan & Tan

• Like 5

It’s very interesting to read your write up Alan. You seem to do so much for the boat and the syndicate, always popping here and there on your holiday and in and out of your home mooring. Hope you enjoyed having the fine weather. 

• Thanks 1