Return To Boating 2019

Hello we have booked next sept Friday 20th one week on brinks encore,I’m a disabled chap ie have trouble standing and lifting leg . Brinks encore seems to be the perfect little cruiser for two and a little dog because it has bow thrusters and electric winch. I’m not new to boating and will take cushions and our pillows . Is this boat easy to get off of ie grab rails at the stern end and front end. We won’t be going far so fuel won’t be a problem I’m just a bit worried getting off the back. I rang hoseaseasons to change the booking to another cruiser another yard but Barnes didn’t like that and I felt that a bit naughty so to avoid arguements I took Brinks encore. So can people tell me Please is it a cruiser for us elderly and I’m disabled ,my only reservation is side mooring ,if I put a disabled note on side of cruiser would someone kindly help us to moor side on....Thankyou David.

B9F34894-6B13-407E-B93E-4095541555C3.jpeg

People on the Broads are generally pretty helpful, particularly if they can see an elderly couple who look like they would appreciate the offer of help mooring up - Certainly most of us on here would probably offer a hand.

Awe Thankyou that’s very kind of you we may need a little help and guidance and laughter at the same time,we are looking forward to it but this year is our golden wedding anniversary so next year god willing will be our 51st anniversary on the boat.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi David,

I regularly hire this type of cruiser and have just returned from a week on Silver Symphony which although a little older than Brinks Encore, is essentially the same. It is a good boat for the less mobile with a single level inside. I would recommend you buy a small collapsing step if you have not aleady got one. The step down into the cabin both front and rear are a little steep and a foldaway step like this will really help your access. It can of course also be used to get you onto the deck from the shore, so doubly useful.

You will have a great time.

• Like 3

Hi David

This boat does NOT have any "grab" rails fore or aft, the picture you show is an old one of a similar boat before Brinks Encores were built.

We hired Encore 1 twice last year and I did a mini review plus two holiday tales so you may like to check them out:

I know another NBN member  '"Meg" hired Encore 2 last year and also recently this year and she took a small step as mentioned by "DAVIDH" above, I'm not sure if you can PM her yet but I will and point her in the direction of this topic so she may get in touch with you.

As "oldgregg" says there are generally people willing to help if you are on a formal mooring.

Enjoy yourself.

• Like 1

Hi David,
I regularly hire this type of cruiser and have just returned from a week on Silver Symphony which although a little older than Brinks Encore, is essentially the same. It is a good boat for the less mobile with a single level inside. I would recommend you buy a small collapsing step if you have not aleady got one. The step down into the cabin both front and rear are a little steep and a foldaway step like this will really help your access. It can of course also be used to get you onto the deck from the shore, so doubly useful.
You will have a great time.

Hello sir,Thankyou,yes I was worried because that is my problem I have one leg that is heavy and painful and I rang the yard this morning and they said it was easy to get on but looking at the photos yes ok I’d your able,not so if not I have just ordered those steps and that will help ernomously Thankyou . The bow thrusters will be something new to get my head around but I,ll be gentle.

Hi everyone, My friend and I had Encore 2 from 3rd July, wow what weather. I have a step for my outside door at home as my threshold is very high and this fits inside Encore's rear entrance and helps lessen the drop, but this does not help front entrance and is inconvenient when in position for getting into bed on that side. Encore is a lovely boat to manoeuvre, very responsive throttle and good bow thrusters, and of course it goes under most bridges at appropriate tides. The downside for us is that as it has a double bed in the rear so one of us sleeps on the pull out bed in the front. There are no grab rails front or rear although there is a roof gully over the rear door to hold on to. There are almost always people to help some of them very well known on this forum so don't be afraid to ask. I am concerned at your lack of leg mobility, it might yet be possible to change to another craft if you think the Encore is to difficult, Surely Hoseasons want what's best for their customers and Barnes have lots of different craft.  I hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide, don't forget to tell us how you get on

Hi David suggest you take a length of clothesline/rope to tie to the steps you won't lose them then, it also makes it easy to retrieve it from the  boat when you return and the boat has gone up or down, we have a step and if we hadn't tied it on we would have lost it many a time, they don't float or wind blows them.John

• Like 1

Hi David and welcome to the NBN

I can't help too much with the boat or suggestions on helping with the accessibility as fortunately I have no personal experience of that as yet.

What I can say however is that if I (like most people on the broads) see you or anyone else requiring any assistance that I can help with, I would happily come running over to help you and your wife out.

I hope you enjoy your holiday, and your wedding anniversary. Congratulations Sir :default_winko:

Welcome.

My Mum is less mobile than she used to be and still enjoys cruising - a small step is a must these days when she is afloat and as others have said,  the broads community will always help others out... or lead them astray to the nearest hostalry ;) Enjoy your trip Encore looks lovely.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, My friend and I had Encore 2 from 3rd July, wow what weather. I have a step for my outside door at home as my threshold is very high and this fits inside Encore's rear entrance and helps lessen the drop, but this does not help front entrance and is inconvenient when in position for getting into bed on that side. Encore is a lovely boat to manoeuvre, very responsive throttle and good bow thrusters, and of course it goes under most bridges at appropriate tides. The downside for us is that as it has a double bed in the rear so one of us sleeps on the pull out bed in the front. There are no grab rails front or rear although there is a roof gully over the rear door to hold on to. There are almost always people to help some of them very well known on this forum so don't be afraid to ask. I am concerned at your lack of leg mobility, it might yet be possible to change to another craft if you think the Encore is to difficult, Surely Hoseasons want what's best for their customers and Barnes have lots of different craft.  I hope you have a lovely time whatever you decide, don't forget to tell us how you get on

Hello meg managed to change gone for Brinks Sonet we were going to have this originally but because of it being electric we thought of another boat but like an idiot I took Encore but last night my legs were hurting so this morning I rang Hoseasons and managed to change back to Sonet it cost me an extra £31 admin fee so Sonet looks to be the best choice so Thankyou for your concern very much appreciated that someone cares and we both think as Sonet has a low back that will be ok stern on,and side on with the little foldable step as I was said might help which it will I think we have made the right choice.

Hello yes I saw your write up and thankfully Hoseasons have allowed me to change back to our original choice Sonet,the reason I changed to encore was the only fact it had a gas cooker thinking it wasn’t electric but encore had an electric fridge,but god was on my side yesterday it was last night my legs hurt and it made me very painful,so this morning I rang Hoseasons and thankfully Sonet was still available so we have gone back for this espicially as the stern is easier to get on and off and forward too. So this is the boat for sept next year. But Thankyou for your advice.

IMG_1837.JPG having Sonet instead of encore. Sonet is better for us being elderly and has wider decks and laid out better so has anyone had this cruiser it’s merits and none merits. We are not new to boating we will having learned a lot will take our own cushions,and pillows,and everything you associate home with to make it enjoyable as possible. We know the broads backwards so we know where too and where not too moor. The only thing that’s changed are the mooring fees,so as Arnie says” I,ll be back,god willing we will be back after 31 years absence.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but as a general comment (not aimed at David) I think this shows how important it is, if you are a bit handicapped or elderly (or both) to tell the boatyard or agent about this before you make the booking.

That way they will be aware of your needs and can recommend the best boats, in their experience, to suit you.

In this case it may be that Barnes would have recommended either of these boats since they both look very suitable. There is no doubt that the Sonnet is very easy to moor stern on, with the lowered aft well deck.

Also a good idea to leave the bow line along the side deck when under way. That way, you only have to come in alongside, open the sliding canopy, get hold of the rope and loop it over a post. You can then sort all the rest out in your own time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, David4u said:

IMG_1837.JPG having Sonet instead of encore. Sonet is better for us being elderly and has wider decks and laid out better so has anyone had this cruiser it’s merits and none merits. We are not new to boating we will having learned a lot will take our own cushions,and pillows,and everything you associate home with to make it enjoyable as possible. We know the broads backwards so we know where too and where not too moor. The only thing that’s changed are the mooring fees,so as Arnie says” I,ll be back,god willing we will be back after 31 years absence.

We have not hired Sonnet but did hire Joy which was the older version. 

We found it a very comfortable boat for two people with plenty of room. Easy to handle and manouverability was good even without a bow thruster. 

The single level accommodation will be ideal for you both.

Sonnet looks to be a very nice boat. Fitted out far better and making better use of the space then Joy. 

Hi David, that is great news, we had Sonnet several times and that class were refurbished in the recent past, I hope you have a super time. happy chugging.

Thankyou meg lulu sent me a video she’s all electric and apart from the draughty canopies this Russel Thompson said she’s a good fast boat and plenty of sockets.

We have not hired Sonnet but did hire Joy which was the older version. 
We found it a very comfortable boat for two people with plenty of room. Easy to handle and manouverability was good even without a bow thruster. 
The single level accommodation will be ideal for you both.
Sonnet looks to be a very nice boat. Fitted out far better and making better use of the space then Joy. 

The guy making the film said a couple points the canopies were draughty and the steering seat was hard after sitting for a couple hours,blarst what does he want,lol draughty canopies we don’t mind soon block them up and being electric you don’t have to worry about the atmosphere and I’ve a special seat anyway. We know what to expect she’s bigger than the honeymooner fleet she’s lovely we chose her because of exit points with my legs we will be happy on her she’s our first boat for 31years and although living in rural norfolk anyway we are going to have our cake and eat it lol,but Thankyou for your lovely posting.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but as a general comment (not aimed at David) I think this shows how important it is, if you are a bit handicapped or elderly (or both) to tell the boatyard or agent about this before you make the booking.
That way they will be aware of your needs and can recommend the best boats, in their experience, to suit you.
In this case it may be that Barnes would have recommended either of these boats since they both look very suitable. There is no doubt that the Sonnet is very easy to moor stern on, with the lowered aft well deck.
Also a good idea to leave the bow line along the side deck when under way. That way, you only have to come in alongside, open the sliding canopy, get hold of the rope and loop it over a post. You can then sort all the rest out in your own time!

Yes I agree with the entirety of this post I initially booked Sonet but because it was all electric I was concerned ie the morning power but then like an idiot I cancelled and went for encore which worried me further because of off,and last night in bed my legs hurt so much that this morning I rang Hoseasons and they said yes I can rebook Sonet the date the same but they would need a admin fee which I agreed too. So any other disabled person like myself I can stand and I can walk but not far and I definitely couldn’t get on or off encore so please please make absolutely sure of what boat,hoseaseasons have been very kind it’s luckily over a year away so no ones booking yet but still make 100% sure your booking is suitable,sonnet is suitable for us and our little dog.

Hi David,

Russell was on Sonnet in spring time when the weather was wet and windy so the draughty canopy was more a problem then than it should be when you go. Also its best not to focus on the micro faults someone else may have found with a boat. They are just that - micro faults and will not spoil your enjoyment of the boat. There will be plenty of other highlights on Sonnet which you will come back enthusing over.

• Like 1