Electric Boat

Have we made a grave mistake!the amount of power used,ie kettle,cooking,the tv won’t be on much,the shower won’t be used,but I had to have this cruiser because of getting on and off and we have a little doggy. Has anyone else had sonnet from brinks craft and did you experience problems with the electrics. We won’t be cooking all the time,breakfast isn’t cooked it’s cereal, lunch time sandwiches and a cold drink,itsvevening time the cooker will be used about an hour to hour and half. The TV won’t be on much proberly just to watch Eastenders and that’s it . No lights back to basics really,I’m in bed by 9.15-30 and the only one is when my wife takes the dog out last thing at night. Then the morning will be spent before heading of half hour to get things moving then we will be away for a gentle cruise,will we be ok will we have to run the engine. Hoseasons won’t let me keep changing it’s too costly so I have this little boat because of the dropped step at the back and electric winch because of mobilty problems so how long would we have to charge the batteries for,I’m now worried.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

I wouldnt worry overly, as its all electric I suppose it will have a bigger battery bank to cope, and probably a second alternator to help charging.

I don’t know I’ve heard so much read to many comments it appears because I won’t be cruising much an hour at the most I,ll have to charge the batteries and do four hours a day to charge them,and the cooking if you get a pot just off the ring it shuts down the cooker which has only 2 rings and a microwave it runs the fridge,winches,and so much and then we would have to run the engine for a long time no one at the yard tells you anything,I may have to change my boat yet again another £31 admin fee and if I cancel it all it will be £150 so I’m stuck.

See comment on the other thread. Don't they have generators on board? (Barnes boats that is)
A battery bank wouldn't power electric cooking and kettles, they can just about do a microwave but that's about it I would imagine.

No I don’t think so just batteries I have contacted Hoseasons and told them it’s too expensive to run and Barnes I don’t know what to do I feel let down by Barnes for not telling the truth and if I change again the cost of the admin fee is £31 and to cancel all told is £150. I can’t do that so Brinks have me over a barrel.

I wouldnt worry overly, as its all electric I suppose it will have a bigger battery bank to cope, and probably a second alternator to help charging.

I don’t think so I’m finding out the truth about the boat but not from brinkcraft which I think is a bit naughty I don’t know what to do now I might change but I can’t cancel that’s £150 despite being disabled that said I will talk to my gp over this,the cost factor is going up and up and all over Brinks for not telling me about the boat,and Hoseasons are bending over backwards to help.

We have had Sonnet twice. No problems with the electrics at all. We cruise around 3 hours a day but all hire yards recommend that kind of cruising time. I think you get the cable so you can use electric hook up if you want to. Just buy some cards and ask about how to use the electric posts when you get your handover if you’re not sure. But I wouldn’t worry just because it’s all electric. Just need to run the engine if you use the microwave. Sonnet is a good little boat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi David 

im sure things will be fine. Even if you only cruise a little, for peace of mind you can let your engines run a bit longer. You sound like you are well prepared to conserve energy and I'm sure the boat is set up for more usage.

Please enjoy it , relax and take it all in .

It won't happen , but if something fails , an engineer will come along and sort it out . Go and enjoy your holiday, and tell us all about it when you do. 

• Like 2

Hi David 
im sure things will be fine. Even if you only cruise a little, for peace of mind you can let your engines run a bit longer. You sound like you are well prepared to conserve energy and I'm sure the boat is set up for more usage.
Please enjoy it , relax and take it all in .
It won't happen , but if something fails , an engineer will come along and sort it out . Go and enjoy your holiday, and tell us all about it when you do. 

Thankyou you’ve all been very kind but my legs are very painful and the worry of them and this boat it’s been too much we are cancelling everything. It’s true what my wife says with me we can’t have any holidays because I’m never the same from one day to the next and I can’t walk more than 5 yards max and have trouble standing. I was sadly living a dream,their will be no holiday I’d be a danger and that’s what worries me and my wife getting on and off a boat. It’s going to be an expensive dream!£150 cancellation fee but with deep regret I’ve got to pay this. With hardly any mobility and days spent just sitting in my chair living the dream would have been beautiful in reality but sadly it’s not to be,so please everyone else enjoy your holidays on the broads,enjoy Norfolk the broads and people,this ex Londoner andnorfolk man can only when fit drive to the broads and say hello to you all my days of boating are over and yes it hurts me to say this but they are and I can now read your stories and think to myself “ wish it had been me” but it’s not so for now Thankyou to everyone who has tried to help,reassure,and guide me,it has all been appreciated,David signing out.............

That's very sad to hear David and I offer my sympathy. Please consider getting a letter from your doctor and then Hoseasons may well refund your deposit, according to the conditions of hire, especially if they can re-let the boat.

When you next come to Norfolk, consider the Nancy Oldfield Trust, who have specially adapted boats and run trips out on the Broads for those who can no longer do it on their own. That way, you can still get out on the water.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

David, dont cancel just because of the electrics. Even if you don't cruise anywhere you'll be fine, just run your engine for a while as others have advised. For the amount you're going to use electric, a couple of hours would probably be fine (boatyards just say 4 hours to protect themselves). Sonnet being a modern boat may well have a battery gauge so you can always see how much power you have remaining then if gets low just start up the engine. 

I’m sure I am not the only one thinking that David has done the right thing, not because of the electrics but because of his mobility problems. Boats are not the easiest of things to get on and off and with a little dog could become a real difficulty. Think about mooring up on a windy day. Once legs become painful and walking is difficult, even a small step can seem like a mountain. We are also talking 14 months on so David has no idea what his situation might be then. He might lose even more money leaving it later to cancel. 

David, it is very sad that you are not able to follow your dream. Have you thought about a riverside cottage where you could still watch the world go by? If things were good at the time, you could hire a day boat. Whatever you do, I hope you do manage to enjoy the Broads at some point. 

• Like 3

That's very sad to hear David and I offer my sympathy. Please consider getting a letter from your doctor and then Hoseasons may well refund your deposit, according to the conditions of hire, especially if they can re-let the boat.
When you next come to Norfolk, consider the Nancy Oldfield Trust, who have specially adapted boats and run trips out on the Broads for those who can no longer do it on their own. That way, you can still get out on the water.

Thankyou Vaughan your response is indeed kind. I will be seeing my gp over leg problems anyway. I do live in norfolk sir and I know of the Nancy oldfield trust,sadly I guess I was trying to live my dream,realistically I made a big expensive mistake,but I thought it was the young man in me not the old boy I am now,I wanted to ride the crest of the wave again and visit all my memories but it’s not to be,maybe one day I can get to ludham to the trust I will phone,but if I can’t I can live them on here for a while. Honestly I tried I lived memories of Sutton staithe,Pat and Tony who owned the honeymooner fleet,no one today will ever come close to those two who looked and cleaned and maintained the boats, but now they have gone and the big housing shed are flats it’s not the same. Brinks are not helpful as this yard was but I had sonnet only through hoseaseasons approval that was a harsh mistake. Many of my friends have emailed me and said you should have gone and looked,hindesight is a wonderful thing,but the boats have gone up in price and I feel the quality and cleanliness has deterioted. So Vaughn my friend I won’t be hiring a cruiser not from that yard and perhaps not to be in the future,but do keep in touch.

3 hours ago, grendel said:

do hoseasons do cottages, maybe he could transfer his booking to one of those and only incur the transfer fee?

Hoseasons are owned by the same group which owns Cottages.com, and indeed all of their "stock" is searchable from the Hoseasons site, so it would certainly be worth having a conversation about transferring the deposit.

• Like 1

I’m sure I am not the only one thinking that David has done the right thing, not because of the electrics but because of his mobility problems. Boats are not the easiest of things to get on and off and with a little dog could become a real difficulty. Think about mooring up on a windy day. Once legs become painful and walking is difficult, even a small step can seem like a mountain. We are also talking 14 months on so David has no idea what his situation might be then. He might lose even more money leaving it later to cancel. 
David, it is very sad that you are not able to follow your dream. Have you thought about a riverside cottage where you could still watch the world go by? If things were good at the time, you could hire a day boat. Whatever you do, I hope you do manage to enjoy the Broads at some point. 

Good afternoon and Thankyou for such a lovely reply,you are so right my legs have had it,I can walk a little but indoors I have to sit down and my wife bless her has rumotoid arthritis in her hands. We have cancelled everything but I,ll talk with her about kingline that sounds nice,but even here like you say my legs may be even worse but I have a mobilty scooter in my car the leg which is adversly affected is the left leg the car is an automatic so maybe just maybe it might work but before anything is done I will if I can get there see what everything entails. We live about an hour and fifteen minutes away. I don’t really want to deal with hoseaseasons they too me are initially helpfull but when you want to cancel they hold you and hold you on the line,no I don’t want to deal with them nor the boat yard of whom haven’t been honest about the boat it’s not suitable for the infirm getting on or off forward or stern so I’ve done the best thing but I do sincerely thank everyone on here for being so helpful and the ideas about disabled cottages with kingline are brilliant.

5 minutes ago, David4u said:

We have cancelled everything but I,ll talk with her about kingline that sounds nice,but even here like you say my legs may be even worse but I have a mobilty scooter in my car the leg which is adversly affected is the left leg the car is an automatic so maybe just maybe it might work but before anything is done I will if I can get there see what everything entails.

Sadly David, i'm going to be devils advocator here my friend.

1)  Being a mobility scooter user, isnt really a reason for not having a broads holiday. look at our own :6973434b8b31cd5effed88c7cbb2f1149d4af7_t:Broadscot RIP Iain he never let it stop him.

2)  If I listed half of whats wrong with me a lot would say your still boating, (I feel very lucky to be still alive) yes I have a shooting stick on board and one in the jam jar along with a walking stick. I intend carrying on until I am no more. Look at Richard RIP Richard, he to buckled down and got on with life as best he could right up to virtually the end.

3)  There are many on here that would help you, in fact have tried helping you, in many ways.

4)  This is where I get jumped upon or not, its so easy to feel sorry for yourself, and sit about dreaming and moping about, your ailments. just think this There are far more people out there worse off than you are. But before any one says talk is cheap and easy I have had a disabled badge since 1996. If it comes to it I would drag myself here on my hands and knees to take in the broads.

5) Follow your dream go for it sooner rather than later, i'm sure any help you need will be forth coming from the members here The NBN The Friendly Forum

Regards Charlie

I wonder how I will feel when it comes to me, after a lifetime on the water. May not be all that long at this rate!

I would just ask, please, that David does not place too much blame on the boatyard for this. I happen to know all the Thwaites family personally and have done for more than 40 years. I therefore know how much they genuinely care for their customers, both first timers and regulars. That is probably why they are still in business, on the Broads.

I feel that some of his allegations have not been fair, in this respect and may actually come from a simple lack of communication.

• Like 3

I have only read this briefly this evening to catch up on the updates. Whilst Barnes Brinkcraft may not be my first choice just because I like starting from places other than Wroxham sometimes, and choosing different boats, I have to say that I have never had any issues with the yard and that our experiences hiring Sonnet were fine. Yes, it's not the newest boat but it's far from the oldest either. And that style of boat is the best that you will get if mobility is an issue.

• Like 2

I have only read this briefly this evening to catch up on the updates. Whilst Barnes Brinkcraft may not be my first choice just because I like starting from places other than Wroxham sometimes, and choosing different boats, I have to say that I have never had any issues with the yard and that our experiences hiring Sonnet were fine. Yes, it's not the newest boat but it's far from the oldest either. And that style of boat is the best that you will get if mobility is an issue.

Good evening can you tell me did you get on with the hob and cooking issues and how many times did you have to use land power and starting the engines . Several aspects that cause concern is getting on the boat if moored side on as I have very limited activity. I cancelled because of this issue and the act of having to start the engine up every time you used any electric equipment plus the loo is very small.. sorry but they show pictures of new boats which when you see a video everything comes true. As for getting off forward a person with leg problems couldn’t save as stern a problem . It says yes mobilty problems but not walking problems.

Hello David.

We had absolutely no problems with using anything electrical onboard. In fact being all electric you don't have to think about gas supplies. And there is no inverter to turn on and off with Sonnet, the 240v supply is on all the time as I recall. The only time we needed to start the engine while moored up was while we used the microwave for a few minutes as it is recommended to do that. 

Having the lead to hook up to shore power is just a nice extra in case you are somewhere where you can get hooked up and want to take the opportunity to ensure that the batteries get a full charge. But if you're not using much electricity i.e. longer daylight hours, not running the heating, not doing much cooking, then you would be ok as long as you get a decent cruise. If you want to cruise for less time then hooking up to shore power is a nice thing to be able to do.

If access is an issue then using stern on moorings is great and really easy and there are quite a few places to stern-on moor on the northern rivers. Remember that as a hirer you can also moor in other boatyards overnight and many of those will have stern-on moorings.

If none of that suits, or if you felt that the boat would be too small inside, then you would probably find the same with many boats. Some of the newer models have more space in the cabin and the bathroom but they tend to be the more expensive ones. And if you don't want to be cruising for more than an hour or two each day then you may have an issue with keeping the batteries topped up no matter what boat you're on.

Perhaps boating just isn't right for your circumstances. I'm sorry that you seem to have gone through a difficult time with bookings and finding the right information so that you could make informed choices. Perhaps the self-catering option in a riverside property will be more for you. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hello David, I a so sorry you are considering cancelling your trip. I book a cottage with Barnes Brinkcraft each spring and out of school holidays you get a free day boat for the week. The problem might be all their properties have stairs. I know at Horning there are waterside cottages with disabled access and a boat, I looked them up for my neighbour. Sorry cannot remember their name but someone will or may have already. I'm sure there is an opportunity for an enterprising yard to hire out a person to chug a boat to different locations each day then leave you there. I know the time is approaching when my friend and I must think of other types of holidays. I hope you get some relief with your pain soon.