Mayfair From Maycraft

Broads01

I'm musing over possibilities for my second booking for next year and I was looking at Mayfair from Maycraft as a budget solo option. There are a few interior photos on the Maycraft website but not enough to get a real impression of the interior. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of the boat or the boatyard. I know they're one of the few remaining small traditional operators but I don't have any experience of them. 

I'd really like to have a solo holiday on a hire boat, just once so I could really do some thinking and catch up with myself. This one looks just the ticket providing it goes under t'bridge so I could tootle around beyond the great divider.

How do i explain it to the wife?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think the only down side to hiring from Maycraft is you can`t drive your car up to the yard, so you will have to hump your luggage for a few hundred yards, and park your car elsewhere. 

I think they will collect you from the Staithe. 

• Like 2

If my memory serves me well  (not always the case) I think you can purchase a weekly ticket to park at Lathams for £8.50.   May be someone visiting Lathams can look at the sign with the prices on it to confirm.    I am positive that Maycraft pick up their hirers from the car park and from what I can recall you can drive your car to the side of the staithe as a temporary measure just to load and unload.  I think that is where the River Taxi goes from.   May be somebody else knows more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw Mayfair a couple of weeks ago at Wroxham and it looked in good nick. I was a little amused it still sported an old style Hoseasons sticker (the BOAC bluebird) on the cabin. Thought I was in a time-warp!

Fred

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

Mayfair passed with us to the South over a very choppy Breydon recently (so rough that Pearl Horizon with her open fore cockpit turned back to Gt.  Yarmouth). Here she is on the Yare after the weather had calmed down.

Mayfair. Maycraft Potter Heigham.Mayfair. Maycraft Potter Heigham.Mayfair. Maycraft Potter Heigham.

• Like 6

It looks very reasonably priced. Mermaid from Richardsons is not a huge amount more but of course they wont do solo. You would need a deeper wallet for Glitter Girl from Summercraft though. I'm assuming Maycraft prices are exclusive of fuel which is only 100 quid and they don't mention a damage waiver as far as I can see. It sounds a good bet, traditional and comfortable rather than luxurious but looks good value and should be easily handled too. Please keep us posted!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

It looks very reasonably priced. Mermaid from Richardsons is not a huge amount more but of course they wont do solo.

Don't know about that. For 7 days from 15th June Richardson's Mermaid is £681 while Mayfair is £445. Richardson's other Hampton, Capri from 17th June is £817.

48 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Richardson's other Hampton, Capri from 17th June is £817.

It is, but it had a total refit in 2009 so isn't really comparable with a boat that has an original 1970's fitout. Same story with Escapade and Barbados.

Simon would fall foul of the solo hirer rule, though.

• Like 2

Yes agree, I understood that was a refit (Capri) where as the Maycraft looks pretty original. There is a difference in higher season (Mermaid) but lower season is more comparable. It's just that Richardsons are usually competitive on older boats so just an observation that the Maycraft one looked good value. Do the do solo hire? Small yards are usually more flexible. 

• Like 1