• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
Broads01

Mayfair From Maycraft

I'm musing over possibilities for my second booking for next year and I was looking at Mayfair from Maycraft as a budget solo option. There are a few interior photos on the Maycraft website but not enough to get a real impression of the interior. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of the boat or the boatyard. I know they're one of the few remaining small traditional operators but I don't have any experience of them. 

You cant really go wrong with a Safari 25, I saw Mayfair out and about last season and it looked to be well cared for

• Like 1

I'd really like to have a solo holiday on a hire boat, just once so I could really do some thinking and catch up with myself. This one looks just the ticket providing it goes under t'bridge so I could tootle around beyond the great divider.

How do i explain it to the wife?

• Like 1

I'm fortunate in that my wife is very kind and understanding. She doesnt have the same passion for the Broads as I do so she doesnt want to come as often as me but she's happy for me to come solo or with my mum and daughter. 

I know the Mayfair consequent of one of the yard owners usage towards the end of each season. Straight boat and I’d have no qualms about hiring whatsoever. Go for it, I very much doubt you’ll be disappointed.

• Like 1

Saw Mayfair out last week. She looked clean.

• Thanks 1

Great boat yard, the Hampton always looks clean and tidy when we go past if the day boat prices are anything to go by should be good value.

• Thanks 1

I think the only down side to hiring from Maycraft is you can`t drive your car up to the yard, so you will have to hump your luggage for a few hundred yards, and park your car elsewhere. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think the only down side to hiring from Maycraft is you can`t drive your car up to the yard, so you will have to hump your luggage for a few hundred yards, and park your car elsewhere. 

I think they will collect you from the Staithe. 

• Like 2

If my memory serves me well  (not always the case) I think you can purchase a weekly ticket to park at Lathams for £8.50.   May be someone visiting Lathams can look at the sign with the prices on it to confirm.    I am positive that Maycraft pick up their hirers from the car park and from what I can recall you can drive your car to the side of the staithe as a temporary measure just to load and unload.  I think that is where the River Taxi goes from.   May be somebody else knows more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw Mayfair a couple of weeks ago at Wroxham and it looked in good nick. I was a little amused it still sported an old style Hoseasons sticker (the BOAC bluebird) on the cabin. Thought I was in a time-warp!

Fred

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice, all. Yes Ive seen the boat out a few times, pre-2001 Hoseasons sticker included. The parking thing is a disadvantage but hire charges look like a bargain.