Broads Authority To Have A New Chairman!

Is this the one you mean JM

This Friday, the Broads Authority holds its AGM and a new chairman will be elected - bringing the chance of real change and a new direction.
I am honoured to be one of two candidates nominated for this post, proposed by Kelvin Allen and seconded by Brian Wilkins. 
The last few years have been challenging for the BA, but I think it’s time now to put the strained relationships and bad press behind us, and to start re-engaging with our stakeholders. We must find a better way to work with toll payers, local authorities, businesses and residents - as well as with each other as members. The peer review started us on that journey, and now it’s time to put that learning into practice. 
During my 5 years as a BA member, I've learned what is important to our stakeholders and become passionate about what we can achieve as an Authority. If I am elected as Chairman, I propose the following:
1. A faithful implementation of ALL recommendations of the peer review
We have implemented some of the recommendations in the report, but we still need to do much more, and a comprehensive review and overhaul of our stakeholder engagement and relationships is absolutely critical. Ripples of anger over our changes to the Broads Forum have already reached DEFRA and the Minister, and we have to take urgent action to prove that we are serious about reforming our relationships. 
2. Tolls income
Navigation income was ring fenced as part of a side agreement to the 2009 Broads Act, but the prescribed accounting methodology showing the separation between national park and navigation income and expenditure was abandoned some years ago. I am proposing that, in order to gain the trust of the NSBA and the BHBF, we restore the format as originally agreed, as the current arrangement gives the wrong impression and makes it difficult to compare the accounts year on year.
3. Promote a positive culture of active discussion
Currently, the reports members are presented with give us only binary choices. Accept or Not Accept. The result is that any discussion or variation on the topic is seen as divisive and unwelcome. I will instead encourage officers to present us with a range of options, which will allow for constructive discussion and decision-making by consensus, where we can collectively work towards outcomes on which we can all agree. 
4. Project Board
Finally, I am proposing to set up a Project Board. I have served on the Authority for many years now and don't feel that we come close to making the best use of our members. I want to make sure that their talents and skills are properly utilised, and that we complete our tenure at the Authority with a sense of accomplishment and pride. The Project Board will enable each and every member to lead on a project of their own, the key elements being that these projects:
a) accord with the Broads Plan;
b) include at least one stakeholder group;
c) utilise external funding at least in part for its duration.
Whether it’s writing a book, organising a coffee morning or leading on a research project, I want each and every member to shine, and to leave a legacy of which the Authority can be proud. This will strengthen our common purpose and collaborative working, build meaningful relationships between members and stakeholders, and allow the Authority to become an exemplar of members being leaders in their own right. 
I believe that now is the time to reinvigorate the Broads Authority with a fresh approach and a new direction. There are 20 members eligible to take part in a secret ballot on Friday, and I hope that they will be listening to stakeholders as they consider how best to vote in order to achieve a stronger, more confident and more engaged Authority.

17 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If any of you have questions for Lana and or Haydn then I would be pleased to pass them on.

Thanks Peter, that would be great.

One of my questions would be to ask WHEN they are going to istigate a thorough, and complete programme of dredging ALL of the rivers, AND, to re-instigate refuse bins, and moorings?. Ok, that was three questions in one, but all in equal importance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

If any of you have questions for Lana and or Haydn then I would be pleased to pass them on.

A 'manifesto' from Haydn would not come amiss.  Lana has provided a ver6y comprehensive statement. Surely he should do the same ?

• Like 3

I'm afraid I'm always dubious of 'career' or would be 'career politicians'. They'll generally tell you what you want to hear, to get elected/chosen.  But, gaining the position is nothing more than another grip up the greasy pole or tick on their C.V., hopefully on their way to bigger things. The two people mentioned, appear to have their 'fingers in a lot of pies' and I wonder perhaps, will they be spreading themselves too thinly, considering their many other 'interests'.

You may feel, I have a rather jaundiced view of politicians, or would be politicians and you'd be right. Sorry, but I just don't trust them to be impartial, regarding the decisions they make, particularly when those who could influence, furthering their political careers, are watching...

1 hour ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Thanks Peter, that would be great.

One of my questions would be to ask WHEN they are going to istigate a thorough, and complete programme of dredging ALL of the rivers, AND, to re-instigate refuse bins, and moorings?. Ok, that was three questions in one, but all in equal importance.

Lana has answered, 'fraid that I have a problem copying and posting, where she suggests that once BA accountancy methods reverts to normal then that question will be easier to answer.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, batrabill said:

So, the choice is, a Conservative councillor, or a Conservative councillor. 

Hoorah!

Must be something of a dilemma for those Conservative members who will be voting via a private poll. Am I a cynic or what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh dear, unsurprisingly some folk have taken to lobbying potential voters and things are clearly heating up. Attending the forthcoming Authority meeting could be quite entertaining! Gossip along the rhond has it that one or two teddies have already been aggressively ejected from their habitual prams!

• Like 3