Fall Into Water At Acle Should I Be Worried

Guest ian stevenson

On 27/07/2018 at 00:19, BroadAmbition said:

Falling in is easy, getting out not so. A lesson to us all, are we able and capable?

We have a system onboard 'B.A' in place that works.  It has been put to use for real with no issues so we know it works.

When I have 'Newbies' onboard I give them a comprehensive safety brief with do's and don'ts  then a fire, flood and MOB overboard briefing.  I also carry out the same briefing prior to sailing with the entire crews of the Lads Week.  I expect / demand all crew members to pay attention to this brief and we don't sail until it has been completed.  With regards to MOB briefing it doesn't take long, it has got plenty of Yorkshire speak in it and as we have found out on more than one occasion it works.  Of course it is based on experience gained from my years with in the RN just tweaked somewhat to suit the Broads environment.  We have had no issue / difficulty recovering MOB's back onboard as a result, in double quick time too

And just where is the OP of this thread?  We the forumites have been offering plenty of advice / tips examples etc etc and not a peep out of him.  An acknowledgement or even a small thankyou would not go amiss

Griff

Just a suggestion, but might you consider sharing MOB/safety procedures on the forum? Obviously I may have missed something, but can’t remember seeing a quick guide/ hints/tips kind of thing on the handy information section covering this type of thing?

It may be that forum needs to check with a recognised training org before publishing something, but I think it would be a valuable resource for both newbies and some not-so-newbies to check we’ve all covered our bases- never too old to learn something, or at least take comfort in knowing you know it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning all, I fell in a couple of years back on my first solo voyage . Another story but I almost drown as I didn't know how to get out of the water. I was saved by a young kayak sailor who climbed onto my boat and retrieved a mooring line , tied a loop in the end and told me to use as a step. EASY AS PIE !! 

Koolwabbit

• Thanks 1

Just a suggestion, but might you consider sharing MOB/safety procedures on the forum? 

Willdo but it'll be later on.  Gotta help MrsG with the housework this morning, then a trip to Donny, then a floor to finish off tiling - then grout the lot.  Then an ensuite wall tiling to start.  Busy day today - No clay shooting

Griff

1 hour ago, Koolwabbit said:

Morning all, I fell in a couple of years back on my first solo voyage . Another story but I almost drown as I didn't know how to get out of the water. I was saved by a young kayak sailor who climbed onto my boat and retrieved a mooring line , tied a loop in the end and told me to use as a step. EASY AS PIE !! 

Koolwabbit

That reminds me of something I wanted to ask. Tying a knot in a rope to make a loop and that knot not slipping. The quay rangers in Norwich pass ropes through the rings and then, if the rope is not long enough to reach back to the boat, they tie it to the standing part of the rope. I hope that makes sense to someone who could tell me what sort of knot should be used in this instance. I’ve looked at various knots but can’t make any of them work properly and not slip! 

12 minutes ago, vanessan said:

That reminds me of something I wanted to ask. Tying a knot in a rope to make a loop and that knot not slipping. The quay rangers in Norwich pass ropes through the rings and then, if the rope is not long enough to reach back to the boat, they tie it to the standing part of the rope. I hope that makes sense to someone who could tell me what sort of knot should be used in this instance. I’ve looked at various knots but can’t make any of them work properly and not slip! 

Bowline?

Returning to the point of being in the river to start with, there were three youngsters jumping into the river just up from PH bridge (the quiet side) rolling into and under the water time after time. Later there were three people swimming near Martham. I wondered then how healthy it was, but then I am the one with stomach ache this morning- they are probably all fine!!

27 minutes ago, johnb said:

Returning to the point of being in the river to start with, there were three youngsters jumping into the river just up from PH bridge (the quiet side) rolling into and under the water time after time. Later there were three people swimming near Martham. I wondered then how healthy it was, but then I am the one with stomach ache this morning- they are probably all fine!!

Just don't drink the stuff! No dead fish or bloated cattle floating just up tide of you? Go on, enjoy a swim! I've had several intentional dips this year, why not!

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Bowline?

I did try that but it didn’t work for me, it slipped. Of course, I maybe did it all wrong! There is a knot that will slip one way but not the other, that’s why they use it at Norwich YS I believe in the belief that any inebriated so and so trying to let a boat adrift will probably give up (or fall in!). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re knots,  might the Rangers be tying a Rolling Hitch? One I use myself and have confidence in but it does need care when tying it on the standing part. 

Could be, why is care needed when tying on the standing part?

10 hours ago, vanessan said:

Could be, why is care needed when tying on the standing part?

Just my thought but as the standing part is flexible, it being rope, the hitch itself needs to be carefully loaded in order to prevent it slipping. Others may disagree but it's a knot that I have used for years.

10 hours ago, vanessan said:

I did try that (bowline) but it didn’t work for me, it slipped. Of course, I maybe did it all wrong! 

It is possible to tie a bowline incorrectly so that it collapses and turns into a 'cow hitch' and inevitably that will slip. The bowline is well worth mastering, in other words behind your back, eyes closed, standing in the shower and with your life depending on you getting it right, easy!

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

It is possible to tie a bowline incorrectly so that it collapses and turns into a 'cow hitch' and inevitably that will slip. The bowline is well worth mastering, in other words behind your back, eyes closed, standing in the shower and with your life depending on you getting it right, easy!

Thanks JM. This is where the old ‘soap on a rope’ would come in handy isn’t it?! I think the rolling hitch might be the one the rangers use. Anyways, certainly two knots to get to grips with - pun definitely intended. :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Thanks JM. This is where the old ‘soap on a rope’ would come in handy isn’t it?! I think the rolling hitch might be the one the rangers use. Anyways, certainly two knots to get to grips with - pun definitely intended. :default_biggrin:

Half a century ago I was an RYA sailing instructor and ropework was very much my interest. We taught a basic, must know list of knots which included the clove hitch, reef knot, figure of eight stopper knot, single and double sheet bends, anchor hitch, constrictor knot, bowline, buntline hitch, rolling hitch and round turn & two half hitches. I'm sure that some folk have had a lifetime of boating without  ever mastering a single knot or hitch but for me the bowline and clove hitch between them will cover most situations on a motor cruiser and are well worth mastering. For more information Google The Ashley Book of Knots. Master that lot & you will have an interest that will last you a lifetime! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stumpy said:

JM - We had a meal out last week at Chelmondiston Red Lion and Des Pawsey was on a nearby table. Had a long mardle with him, lovely old boy!

He came to the Maritime Festival at Gt Yarmouth a couple of years ago, hugely interesting man.

P9050161 (2).JPG

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

There are all kinds of answers to that post, most of which would get modded straight away. Didn't realise you were a fan of E. L. James. :default_norty:

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

In my formative years it was Linda Lovelace, Tropical Linda & DH Lawrance! 

And only one of them wrote books. The other two did the actions!    :default_party0010:

Getting back on the subject - what was the subject? Oh yes. . . .

The main thing about knots is what you use them for. The Navy do not approve a clove hitch as a knot for dropping over a post to moor a boat up. But we all use it because it can be easily set to the length that you want but above all, it does not jam. If there has been tension on it, or even if there is still tension on it, you can always get it undone again.

The bowline is a safe and secure knot for making a loop and no matter how much tension it has been under, you can always undo it again. You cannot undo it however, if it is still under tension.

So if you want to tow your car away behind a Landrover, use a bowline around the axle and you will always get it undone again afterwards. If you want to moor your boat to a buoy in a river with a tide running, always use a round turn and two half hitches through the ring, as it will not jam, and you can still get it undone under tension.

• Like 2