We've decided to treat ourselves to new sails for our dinghy.  The originals are Jeckell's and I wondered if anyone had any recent experience with the company ?(I have read Alan (Ranworth Breeze)'s report about his canopy repair.

I had a new canopy and berth cushions after the mice got at mine (3 years old) and the service was excellent.

I am not sure however if the Sailmakers and Trimmers are one and the same. Jeckells sails have a very good name and are the OEM to some well respected boat builders.

• Like 2

Thanks, Polly.  Our sails are + - 15 years old and eminently serviceable,  but the stitching is showing its age (not a problem, I can repair that) but the fabric is showing signs of UV damage. My idea is to treat ourselves to a new set as a Christmas present whilst using the old ones for spares.

45 minutes ago, ZimbiIV said:

According to recent activity and decisions made on other threads, if anyone is unhappy with work done they cannot say, so it's pointless asking!

paul

Yes, to some extent i agree with you , but I thought I could at least solicit positive reviews, if any.

I was not trying to have ago at you for asking but pointing out you could not get any negative feed back.

I agree with some of decisions because it could easily become a witch hunt.

Is it not possible to have a rating system without any comments been left.

Any company getting low scores should be worried.

paul

I am happy to recommend businesses that do a good job for me. Jeckells sails is near the top of my list. We had a new jib three years ago ‘oh yes we have that sail plan in our archive and can make you a new one’ this was a 1929 Press Bros plan! They also came out to help us rig it to best effect.

They sorted a new mast for Rondonay rigging and all.

We have regularly had sails valeted there and stored for next season.

Our Jeckells dinghy sails are 18 years old and going strong.

That is my evidential base for the recommendation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2018 at 14:11, ChrisB said:

I am not sure however if the Sailmakers and Trimmers are one and the same.

They aren't, and haven't been for very many years now, although it's the same family still I believe.  The sailmakers are first class - all the sail repais for Nancy Olfield are done by them .

Thank you everyone for your replies.  Our dinghy is approximately 40 years old and the mainsail is the original one, so high time it was replaced.  We also have the original jib, but we now use a newer genoa as a foresail on inland waters.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.  We have ordered a new mainsail and jib -  £612.43 for high-quality,  dual-colour dacron.  This includes logo, sail numbers, hanks on the jib luff and tell-tales.  They should be ready mid-September.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pompeyboy said:

They did our rear cockpit canopy and the rear bit for the sliding wheelhouse and can’t fault the quality. No the cheapest but you get what you pay for

regards Paul

Different company. The Sailmakers don't do covers....and they are in Station Road.    Jekells and Son are the cover and Upholstery makers ... and they are in Riverside Road.

• 4 weeks later...